Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 53196 times)

Description:

Offline apj

Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« Reply #269 from previous page: January 24, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline a-pexTopic starter

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
Yes and no. I asked him to get paid for a native port, but his answer was short and clear. ;)
Novacoder likes more programming games on the Amiga.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »
on all respect, despite what chris suggests its not just a walk by to port his netsurf back to 68k. if it was so easy he would best do that himself in an instant, gifted as he is and already familiar with the code and implementation details.

i still suspect the easiest, fastest and most effective would be to have odyssey building for aros68k. here is all in place for it imho, including the dependencies. just some dediacted coder with a knowledge of complex build processes involving cmake is missing. aros devs dont have time for it, there is already enough workload, and 68k isnt the main priority of course, except the users will somehow express and push that.

i have aros owb in ocassional use here, and while it isnt fast, its almost usable, faster than expected. and expect odyssey to be faster as aros owb is only a basic port, not even sure if it doesnt involve statically linked sdl.

once owb runs on aros68k the users may switch to it given aros is fast and dependable enough by the time or an attempt on backport might be undertaken. jason already has prepared some basic means to run aros apps on aros afair, just none has followed on that and its been covered in dust.

Offline chris

« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:21 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;723829
on all respect, despite what chris suggests its not just a walk by to port his netsurf back to 68k. if it was so easy he would best do that himself in an instant, gifted as he is and already familiar with the code and implementation details.

I do bits here and there to help with the back-porting (such as the recently-added 8-bit plotters), but I'm not interested enough to spend time doing all the boring bits - I'd rather progress the browser for OS4, where I actually use it.

If anybody wants to step up and give it a try or help NovaCoder out (who was having problems with cross-compilation btw, not the code itself) then that would obviously be appreciated.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
@chris:
here we have it as it ever was. doesnt look like anybody actually able to do the job is going to step up.

aros odyssey version has an advantage that the existing code shouldnt need to be modified to run on aros and an amiga with gfx card, it needs only to be made to build.
of course it will not give us planar potters magically, but i fear the same is true for netsurf.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;723829

No it's not easy to port, and that's speaking from experience ;)

I gave this a good crack but even with Chris's excellent help I still struggled to get my build environment configured properly and get to the stage where I could do some actual coding.

We need someone who is good with setting up a 68k cross compiler environment, building library dependencies and editing makefiles (none of which is me).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
@NovaCoder

you may receive more help if you put your stuff including dependencies in sourceforge for example :-)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
I'd be happy to do that but I'm not sure if there are any 68k coders left in the community who would help.   I only put my hand up originally because nobody else offered to give it a try.

I think nearly all the C/C++ 68k coders have either gone to OS4/AROS/MorphOS or they've just left the community.   I'm the only one who seems to be coding large scale C/C++ 68k projects these days and obviously my time is very limited.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline chris

« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;723857

of course it will not give us planar potters magically, but i fear the same is true for netsurf.

Except I've already written those. They aren't planar per se, just built for any palette-mapped screen mode.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline kolla

« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »
@Novacoder
Stupid question perhaps, but why cross compile?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »
Quote from: kolla;723882
@Novacoder
Stupid question perhaps, but why cross compile?

Well you always have to cross compile when coding for Amiga on any modern projects because the only modern compiler we have is gcc (UNIX).   Thanks to AmiDevCpp though it's not as painful as it could be for most projects, you can simple import the source code into the workspace and AmiDevCpp will automatically create your makefile and setup your standard dependencies.   I managed to get a new port of Quake 2 running in two days using this approach.

With NetSurf you have to setup your own UNIX cross compiler environment (eg using Cygwin) and then manually edit the various makefiles to try and get it to build a 68k executable.    This is not something I'm very familiar with or something that I'd enjoy learning how to do.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;723887
Well you always have to cross compile when coding for Amiga on any modern projects because the only modern compiler we have is gcc (UNIX).

Vbbc isn't modern? Ouch!

Quote from: NovaCoder;723887
With NetSurf you have to setup your own UNIX cross compiler environment (eg using Cygwin) and then manually edit the various makefiles to try and get it to build a 68k executable.    This is not something I'm very familiar with or something that I'd enjoy learning how to do.

I thought C was supposed to be portable. I should be able to take the project from GCC and compile it with any other modern compiler, right? What other compilers are portable and modern? Clang?

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
Hiya again,

I've tried to build a few big projects using vbcc with CubicIDE and I could never get it to produce a reliable exe.    After coding for a few years now for Amiga 68k the only ones I've used to do anything with are StormC V4 (gcc mode) and AmiDevCpp.

GCC is the best bet for porting work anyway, most of the things I've worked on (ScummVM, DosBox) are coded with gcc in mind, even my DOOM port was originally written for gcc.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2013, 01:33:11 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;723897
Hiya again,

I've tried to build a few big projects using vbcc with CubicIDE and I could never get it to produce a reliable exe.    After coding for a few years now for Amiga 68k the only ones I've used to do anything with are StormC V4 (gcc mode) and AmiDevCpp.

GCC is the best bet for porting work anyway, most of the things I've worked on (ScummVM, DosBox) are coded with gcc in mind, even my DOOM port was originally written for gcc.

Hey NovaCoder this is completely not part of the OP, but since you are here and here I am wondering...what is the status towards DOSBoxAGA?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:24 AM »
i think porting software you can forget about anything else than gcc. if you roll off your own project you can tailor it for something else.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:20 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;723908
i think porting software you can forget about anything else than gcc. if you roll off your own project you can tailor it for something else.

That's true, shame gcc on 68k is so damn painful really ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!