Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The amazing Infinity Module Player (IMP) on Amiga 2000 (video)  (Read 1762 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
I just discovered this amazing networked MOD player, and have made a crude demo video of it running on my A2000 '020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH7Pd4TJCc8

Download link for IMP is here: http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/imp.lha

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

• Visit ByteCellar.com
Re: The amazing Infinity Module Player (IMP) on Amiga 2000 (video)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 02:29:53 PM »
Seems not everyone is as excited about it as me. :-)

bp

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »
Ignore. They will burn in hell. ;)

Offline kamelito

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
Well, there is Eagle player, Delitracker is this one better?

• Visit ByteCellar.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 03:19:09 PM »
I have both, but they don't feature integrated networking, pulling from MOD collections automatically do they?

Offline kamelito

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »
supports direct Aminet-CD mod archive browsing for
Eagle player but it is maybe only from cd.

• Visit ByteCellar.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »
I'm about to publish a blog post about this. Editing / tweaking but this is the text as of now. FYI,

- - -

Vintage computing aficionados take various approaches to the hobby. Some enjoy the platforms of olde exclusively through emulation on modern systems. Others assemble shelf after shelf of as many computers and peripherals of their fancy as they can find. While, still, others use their allotted space to host various complete and working systems that can be powered on and used with the flip of a switch. I happen to fall in the last camp of those who compute nostalgic. And, as such, I am happiest when my systems are in use, doing their thing in an interesting way. It is for this reason that I have been so very enthralled by a new MOD player for the Amiga since I discovered it earlier this week.

The Infinity Module Player (or IMP), written by Pawel Nowak, is a tiny (23Kb currently) MOD player written entirely in M68K assembly language, that packs a dizzying array of features and provides a reason for anyone with a networked Amiga to never turn it off again. It was first released earlier this year.

At its core, IMP is a networked module player that pulls tracks from a server hosting ~100,000 MODs and plays them, one after the other. The program will run on any networked Amiga with a MC68000 CPU or better, running OS 3.1 on up, as well as Morphos and AROS 68K.

Like most networked Amiga applications, IMP use the bsdsocket.library to connect to the internet, so it should work fine with TCP/IP stacks such as AmiTCP, Genesis, and Roadshow (as well as the ubiquitous UAE Amiga emulator). Most of the sizable array of Ethernet adapters for various Amigas should work fine in this capacity, as well as the open-source Plipbox, an ethernet adapter that attaches to the parallel port of any Amiga (and is, thus, a particularly easy way of getting an Amiga on the network).

A MOD that is currently playing can be liked or unliked, skipped, saved to disk, or shared as a suggestion link to others in an integrated network chat system, another of IMP‘s notable features, that lets others running the program chat with one another while listening to tunes. The chat system has a main lobby and allows the creation of private channels and even features an integrated simple MUD-like network game.

IMP has a few other network tricks up its sleeve. In a nice feature that feels quite anachronistic for an Amiga app, IMP auto-updates itself on launch when there is a new version available. In the few days I’ve been running it, I’ve seen three updates come down. Another (unexpected) feature is a file-tree of games, utilities, and such that presents itself at the click of a button. Any executable on the tree, when double-clicked, is pulled from the network server and can be saved locally or executed immediately. (Again, somehow this program is 23K in length!)

There current release version 1.05 features two different display modes. There is a “screen” mode where the app renders its own interface, all things locked in place, as well as a Workbench mode, where the various display items are presented in windows on the Workbench desktop.

As initially downloaded, IMP features limited functionality and notably restricted network speeds. A simple (free) registration unlocks nearly all of the functions of the app, with a few special features unlocking for users who have donated to the effort either via the Patreon or a PayPal donation. I was happy to contribute via the latter avenue given the impressive functionality of this tiny little app.

• Visit ByteCellar.com

Offline QBit

• Show only replies by <s>QBit</s>
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 11:00:41 PM »
I installed IMP on my Amiga 1200

runs fine!

AmiKit Real on my Amiga 1200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz7CTOA3zpk

Offline kolla

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 05:42:34 PM »
Would be cool if it supported ${http_proxy} (if http is what it uses for communication).
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox