Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows "7"  (Read 7495 times)

Description:

Offline tone007

Re: Windows "7"
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:02:48 AM »
Opera on WM6.5 is great, I've got the AT&T Fuze (HTC) and I'm pretty happy with it.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline tone007

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
Quote from: InTheSand;530703
after a clean start up with only a few desktop gadgets loaded, it's still using just over 1Gb RAM to do nothing!!

I've got a machine here with 1.5gb of RAM running Windows 7, after a bootup it shows only 36% or so of RAM in use.  I'm running the Enterprise edition, maybe there's a difference?

Offline tone007

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;530744
To the credit of Apple, at least they have been trying to trim the resource footprint of MacOS. MS could do with following suite.
Windows 7 uses a great deal less hard drive space (gigabytes less, I believe) and RAM than Windows Vista did.  My 1GB RAM, 40gb HD subnotebook Fujitsu which shipped with Vista runs MUCH better with Windows 7, and has way more free hard drive space.

Quote from: Tripitaka
over 200Mb for a driver!  That's insane.
This is the vendor's fault for packaging them poorly with added "support software" and unnecessary junk ("order new cartridge!" reminders, etc.)  The driver itself probably isn't more than 1mb.  HP is great at making you download way more than necessary from what I've seen.

..and to the discredit of Apple, they've just disowned millions of non-Intel Apple machines with their newest OS release, while Windows 7 runs fine on my 5 year old laptop.  I imagine orphaning all that hardware will go a long way to shrink the size of their OS!

Offline tone007

Windows "7"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
You can't have Windows without "WIN!"