Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Converting Chinon FZ-357 1.44 PC drive to Amiga 880k!  (Read 9113 times)

Description:

Offline TjLaZerTopic starter

Converting Chinon FZ-357 1.44 PC drive to Amiga 880k!
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:47:45 AM »
Hey all I found this article and decided to try it and it works!  I converted a PC drive and it works on the Amiga!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how to convert a Chinon FZ-357 drive from PC to Amiga :)

Ok guys & gals, first an apology from me for telling {bleep} for some time now:
I always thought converting a Chinon FZ-357 drive from PC to Amiga was just a job of playing with the jumpers on the back of the drive. This worked fine for the drive I had, so I didn't notice that my drive in fact had already been converted !
But now I got another FZ-357 drive and was very surprised that it didn't work on an A-500 after I set the jumpers exactly like on my FZ-357 ?!? So, I disassembled both and discovered that it is also necessary to close one jumper ! Did this to the new drive, and now it works perfectly in an Amiga like the other one I had before

Ok, here is how to do it:

First, set the jumpers on the back:
You have to close DS0, MM, RDY and TTL/C-MOS
So there is one horizontal jumper in the lower row between pins 2 & 3, and 3 horizontal jumpers between upper and lower row on positions 4, 6 and 7.

Ok, this was the easy part, now you have to disasemble the drive:

First, take off the top cover of the drive by lifting it from the side of the drive. Then carefully pull off the front cover ( if there is one )
Now turn the drive upside down and unscrew 2 screws which fix the drive to the lower part of the case. After this, bend the lower case a little bit to the outside and remove the big spring which goes across the drive from left to right.

Now, very carefully take the drive out of the lower case. Take care not to loose the upper part of the drive !! Hold it down with one finger while removing the drive from it's case !

Once you have done this, turn the drive upside down and have a look on the board. About in the middle, there are 2 square dots marked with 'J2'.
Now, what you have to do is apply a solder blop to close this jumper. Be very careful the blop isn't too big because otherwise you will close some contacts you wouldn't want to be closed

Now, that's all
Build the drive back together ( fiddling the disk slot into the right place can take some time  ), hook it up to your Amiga like a Amiga drive and it will work 100% with all disks ! This modified drive will also work with NDOS disks and such that require a correct 'ready-signal'.

Now, rush to your local used PC dealer and grab all FZ-357 drives you can get for cheap. They might well become useful one day
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Re: Converting Chinon FZ-357 1.44 PC drive to Amiga 880k!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 06:15:11 AM »
The original article came from the English Amiga board:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9365

But he made a mistake and I corrected it. (MM not MD jumper)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 06:29:27 AM »
Here is a site on how to make some Chinons HD drives!  Lots of work though:

http://www.inf.mit.bme.hu/private/fz357/

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 10:12:45 PM »
I just picked up like 6 of these drives, I will do the Amiga mod on them soon.  Anyone want to buy one?  

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 11:37:28 PM »
It did not work until I soldered a jumper on J2 and set the jumpers.  I guess the docs are wrong.  I just bought 6 more I will test to see if they work before I modify them!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 02:28:52 AM »
@odin

No this drive is not the same the "A" is for Amiga computers only.

The big deal is that the Chinon drives can be used without hacking them.  9/10 of then even have the J2 connected!  All you do is move a few jumpers in the back.  These drives also fit in the A3000 series perfectly.  Not sure in the A500/600/1200. Have not tried.  Anyone here done that?  I can test it out and get back to you guys if not...

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 12:28:36 AM »
ok I did some extensive testing and there seems to be two major different Chinon FZ-357 drives.  One will work with the Amiga when the jumpers are set right and may or may not have J2 jumpered.  If it does not detect a disk change J2 needs to be soldered.  The other type does not work at all.

Here is how you tell the diffrence from looking at the faceplate!

The good type has a rounded openning where the disk goes in, and the bad type is more square.  I will try to post some pics to show you what I mean.  But this is good news as you can physically spot them if you are buying them from a Thrift or PC salvage yard...

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
Necro bump!

I was playing with some more Chinon FZ-357 drives and found out how to successfully mod the other type.  This other type I mentioned Is a Japan made model, says on the back label.  The one I was able to mod was a Malaysia model.

Set rear jumpers as described in my previous post.
Malaysia model:  solder Jumper on J2
Japan model: solder Jumpers on J2 & J18

Both working great!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:37:14 AM by TjLaZer »

The following users thanked this post: hd74ami