Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Morphos / OSX dual boot - Too many problems - Help?  (Read 14305 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Morphos / OSX dual boot - Too many problems - Help?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »
Quote from: dougal;586190
Ok... I put in the other hard disk.

When i try and install morphos i get to the part where i choose automatic install or manual, i select the 20GB hard drive i installed and the computer freezes :O

What now?

You may find it easiest to:

1 - Remove your OSX hard drive;
2 - Install your 'new' hard drive (for MorphOS) - ensure to set it as 'master';
3 - Install MorphOS from the CD (use automatic partitioning to avoid problems) and then remove the CD from the drive;
4 - Reboot into MorphOS (to check it is working);
5 - Re-install your OSX hard-drive (either as 'Master' on a different PATA bus, or as 'Slave' on the same PATA bus;

Your Powermac should now boot to MorphOS by default, and you should now be able to choose to boot into OSX by holding 'Alt' during startup.

One thing to note is that automatic partitioning gives you a system drive which is only 511MB. You can always install your 3rd party applications to the 'Work' drive, or alternatively you can re-partition the drive AFTER INSTALLATION to suit your needs and copy your system files over to the new partition manually.

Hope that is helpful,

Rich

PS - If there are other faults causing crashes (as per your latest post) then all bets are off. I'd recommend that you figure out what the problem is under OSX (memtest or equivalent, try removing PCI expansion cards, try changing hard-drives, re-seating CPU module, cleaning away 5+ years-worth of dust, etc).

PPS - Good luck getting it sorted out, it really is worth it in the end. MorphOS is coming on leaps and bounds, and is my primary OS these days (I only keep Windows for my laptop).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:53:14 AM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Morphos / OSX dual boot - Too many problems - Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Quote from: dougal;586202
I have tried the option of SLAVE rather than cable select. I have not tried Rich's option of switching hard drives yet. Will try that later.

Now its worse. When booting the MorphOS cd i get the MorphOS logo as normal and when it comes to that window where you select the language, keytype etc it looks terrible like the window is black and cant see the words or buttons.

Are you using a Rage128 Graphics card? It sounds like a familiar problem.

If so, then you could either get yourself a supported Radeon 7/8/9xxx card, or you could wait until Frank releases a patch for the Rage cards.
NB - buying a generic Radeon will require that you re-flash the card with Mac-compatible firmware (there are many good guides on how to do this). Alternatively, you could buy a (generally more expensive) Mac-flashed Radeon card.

Regards

Rich
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)