Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Problem installing OS4.1FE  (Read 5019 times)

Description:

Online nbache

Re: Problem upgrading to OS4.1 update 1
« on: July 10, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
I would start by comparing the files in the two partitions, especially Kickstart/usbsys.device and Kickstart/usbresource.library plus the uhci/ohci/ehci ones, and then everything in Devs/USB/*/. If you find one that is different in the two partitions, try copying the one from your working partition over to the other one (after renaming the one you have, just in case).

If this doesn't do it, a serial log might give some clues; I don't know if you are able to capture one?

Best regards,

Niels

Online nbache

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
Well, it at least seems to confirm something spooky is going on with USB and the HID stuff.

But why it is doing it, I can't tell.

If you have more space available on the drive, maybe you should make another partition and try installing all the way - FE from CD, then update1 (manually, not via AmiUpdate!), then update2 and whatever else AmiUpdate offers at that point, bit by bit. Hopefully you'll be able to get through it that way - it has worked for many others, myself included.

You don't happen to have a very special keyboard or mouse, do you? If so, try replacing them (at least temporarily) with more simple standard ones.

Best regards,

Niels

Online nbache

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »
Maybe it would be good if you made a complete backup of the backup partition before you reformat it, then you could compare e.g. with DirDiff afterwards so we might get a clue which file(s) were causing it?

Best regards,

Niels

Online nbache

Re: [SOLVED] Problem installing OS4.1FE
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:25:15 PM »
Congratulations on working that out! I'd never (well, probably) have guessed that was the cause, maybe because on all my machines (except the newest, the X5k), I still use the older method with BootDevice files in each Kickstart to point it explicitly towards the device I want.

But then there must be some differences between the system (the parts that get loaded after Kickstart) on the boot partition you wanted to use and the one which had (has) the highest boot priority. I wonder what they are, as it seems from your earlier comparisons they are not directly related to the USB files.

Best regards,

Niels

The following users thanked this post: SteveH