Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?  (Read 34913 times)

Description:

Offline nikodrTopic starter

• Show all replies
What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
Reading the thread 3 worst idea in amiga developemt it came the idea of how some chips like the akiko were used.

I dont know of any (except one game that was wing commander ?) that used it.
If someone made a doom port for cd32 (like the many doom or quake ports that are out there),how fast could the akiko do the chunky to planar?

Can someone write a benchmark program with a custom c2p routine and test akiko on a cd32?
How much bandwidth does it use?How much data can it really handle?Is it faster with or without fast memory?

I always had this question....

• Show all replies
Re: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
Quote from: alexh;544223

Doom written to use the Akiko would be slower than an A1200 with fast memory and much much slower than an 030. Quake would be impossible. Not enough RAM, not enough CPU power.

Back in the early 90ies would it be any good if we had the akiko?
Would it help a stock 1200 have 256 color games ported from pc with no slowdowns?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;544225
Ah, but the CD32 didn't have fast RAM out-of-the-box. Given that the Akiko's never really been used, I think some empirical testing is in order:

1. Akiko vs. no Akiko
2. Akiko + fast RAM vs. no Akiko + fast RAM
3. Akiko vs. no Akiko + fast RAM

I think that would be an excellent test.We have to remember that back in that area the game production was moving toward chunky style with 256 colors.
I can't understand some of Commodore's desicion's.Use a chunky to planar convertor while not giving any fast ram at all.
I think there is wing commander cd32 that uses akiko.What is the speed of it?
I know there is a special patch for accelerated amigas with fast ram for that game.
But back in the cd32 area with only 2mbytes did wing commander cd32 play the same speed as a fast equiped pc?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
Cammy this is very interesting.I am going to the link you posted and read it.So it seems akiko can do something after all.!