Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting comment from Petro in Amiga Future #86  (Read 2992 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show all replies
Re: Interesting comment from Petro in Amiga Future #86
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;580382
I don't think it is really as malicious as that. MS gives special rates to large manufacturers and part of getting that special rate is exclusivity. If they gave a company a special rate and they break the terms of that agreement I don't think it is malicious to pull that rate, or at least warn of that possibility. Companies should be allowed to use special rates and other incentives to encourage the use of thier product, and revoke said incentives if necissary.

US anti-trust law says different, and MS didn't dare face off with the US DOJ over it (entered a consent decree in 1995 where they guaranteed they would end this and other anti-competitive practices), because it is highly anticompetitive for a company with a near monopoly to use that position to strongarm customers into not dealing with their competitors.

EDIT: You might also note that MS was later sued and *convicted* of a spate of violations of US anti-trust law. In fact, had it not been for incompetence on the part of the judge (spouting of to the press), MS might have been broken up into pieces.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:11:08 PM by vidarh »

Offline vidarh

• Show all replies
Re: Interesting comment from Petro in Amiga Future #86
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;580395
Be.Inc would like to have a chat with you.

I don't know what you're getting at. They clearly *did* abuse their monopoly position and massively hurt several competitors in the process - which it would seem is what you're hinting at -, hence why they entered the consent decree rather than risk a lengthy court case. In the end they violated the consent decree in several ways anyway, did face a lengthy court case, and were convicted. Only the idiocy of the judge saved it from having really severe consequences.