Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MUI 5.0-2017R1 for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k released  (Read 863 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
MUI 5.0-2017R1 for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k released
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
The MUI for AmigaOS development team is proud to announce the immediate release of version 5.0-2017R1 of the Magic User Interface for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k. Please find the release archives in our download section.

Like all former releases a keyfile is required to enable all available settings. Old keyfiles from MUI 3.8 can be used without any restriction.

Please note that MUI5 for AmigaOS3/m68k is definitely targeted at powerful systems with a fast CPU and a fast graphic board. Although it is still possible to run this release on a real 68k machine an emulation like WinUAE is very highly recommended. Also colormapped screens with 256 colors at most are still supported, but MUI5 makes heavy use of fancy truecolor images and effects which cannot be provided on colormapped screens with the full range of possibilities.

These are the most important new features of MUI5:

• inline editing in List objects
  • built-in hooks for multicolumn lists
  • built-in handling of sortable list columns
  • support for fixed (initial) width list columns
  • new Textdata class to support UTF8 encoded text (via codesets.library)
  • new reordering methods for Group and Family class

via muidev.de....
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline AmiKit

Re: MUI 5.0-2017R1 for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k released
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »
Congrats!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;821196
Please note that MUI5 for AmigaOS3/m68k is definitely targeted at powerful systems with a fast CPU and a fast graphic board.

:hammer:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »

The MUI for AmigaOS development team is proud to announce the immediate release of version 5.0-2017R1 of the Magic User Interface for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k. Please find the release archives in our download section.

Congratulations and thank you!

Like all former releases a keyfile is required to enable all available settings. Old keyfiles from MUI 3.8 can be used without any restriction.

O.K. - just got one...

Please note that MUI5 for AmigaOS3/m68k is definitely targeted at powerful systems with a fast CPU and a fast graphic board. Although it is still possible to run this release on a real 68k machine an emulation like WinUAE is very highly recommended. Also colormapped screens with 256 colors at most are still supported, but MUI5 makes heavy use of fancy truecolor images and effects which cannot be provided on colormapped screens with the full range of possibilities.

Hum - it would really be nice if the 'MUI for AmigaOS development team' could recommend which MUI version is best suited for which real (classic) Amiga machines according to their opinion.

I have an A4000 with CSPPC (060@50mHZ/604e@200mHz) and a Voodoo4PCI in the Mediator - and would relly like to know which MUI version is best suited for my hardware - in conjunction with OS 3.9/WarpOS, as well as with OS 4.1 FE U1.

Currently I still use MUI v3.8 with OS 3.9/Warp OS.
I got so confused by the popping-up new MUI releases beyond v3.8 that I completely lost oversight.

A webpage including a kind of tutorial with view on the usability of the different MUI versions on the different hardwares/OSses, as well as on the compatibility of 'MUI classes' provided by third parties.
At one point I must have installed something from a third party and  later noticed that this screwed up a lot of things.

It is clear that the 'MUI for AmigaOS development team' cannnot guarantee that 3rd party MUI-related are really compatible - but then I would expect a at least a hint on that in combination with a link where to get the latest official MUI components that are guaranteed be compatible with other MUI versions, respectively a list telling which MUI components are compatible with which MUI versions.

If such information should already exist on a webpage somewhere, it should definitely be linked in the MUI documentation/readme.

These are the most important new features of MUI5:

• inline editing in List objects
  • built-in hooks for multicolumn lists
  • built-in handling of sortable list columns
  • support for fixed (initial) width list columns
  • new Textdata class to support UTF8 encoded text (via codesets.library)
  • new reordering methods for Group and Family class

via muidev.de....

That sounds promising.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
If you're using a "real" Amiga you're best off sticking with 3.8.
You lose pretty much nothing as there's not really any software that take advantage of the newer features anyway, not to mention the newer versions have some incompatibilities with mui software, along with adding significant overheads.
And yes, the naming conventions are a bit silly and confusing. Seems somewhat like a petty attempt to make it appear that AmigaOS mui is on par with MorphOS mui.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline smf

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »
@Dandy

I have a very similar setup to yours and i would never go back to mui 3.8 on that machine

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
Quote from: smf;822485

I have a very similar setup to yours and i would never go back to mui 3.8 on that machine

Sure, spec-wise, his machine can run the newer versions. But no classic/68k software requires anything newer than 3.8 (Ibrowse 2.5, possibly, if that ever sees the light of day), along with the aforementioned incompatibilities, etc.

Out of curiosity, what do you  personally, see as the biggest advantages of the newer versions? I'm asking this since you stated you use it. Thanks! :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos