Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien breed 3d II ported to another platform  (Read 12355 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Alien breed 3d II ported to another platform
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;631879
I have a question about this game...

How many levels have outdoor sections?  The first AB3D had a few from what I remember and I liked that.  I do have AB3DII TKG but I never got past the first level, and from videos on youtube it all looks to be dark and indoors, which I think is a shame.  Suppose I need to give it another blast!! (and perhaps get onto level 2!)

Level J (IIRC) teleports you down to the surface.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Alien breed 3d II ported to another platform
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
I preferred the tense "sudden death" atmosphere that pervaded the AlienBreed-derived "doom clones" to doom itself, though the Doom games were enormous fun regardless.

It's a shame the sourcecode for AB3D2 wasn't a bit cleaner. I can't criticise Andy Clitheroe too harshly over it, he was pretty much working on the engine single-handedly.

As I discovered one summer, some of the editors were a bigger challenge than the game itself :D The object and animation editors were particularly fussy, but nevertheless I managed to make a custom mod:

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/810/1_montage1_256.png
http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/810/1_montage2_256.png

Building the custom weapon models and animations was fiddly. Unfortunately, the animation just uses a set number of frames, so on faster machines (read emulation), the animation becomes far too fast: for example, it's hard to see the grenade clip rotating as the launcher recoils. Pity the engine doesn't have built in tweening but what can you do?
int p; // A