Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Internet and movie on Amiga 500?  (Read 7199 times)

Description:

Offline mechy

Re: Internet and movie on Amiga 500?
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;665299
I have two very curious questions to ask. Is it seriously impossible, literally, impossible for an Amiga 500 to have high speed internet connection even if the person upgrade the CPU from 7 Mhz to 50 Mhz? Can the person still have high speed internet connection like that of the Amiga 1200 and 4000 series?

Also, if a person have 50 Mhz CPU is it also impossible to be able to watch movies on the Amiga 500? Is it really far fetched to watch movies on Amiga 500? Because a simple mp3 player I have, it is tiny screen and it is not even a computer, or anything, it is a very inferior hardware spec for mp3, allows you to view images and play movies with sound by converting the movie from avi to mv or some format? So why can't Amiga 500 with 50 Mhz be able to play movies when Commodore 64 can play movies on 20 Mhz CPU running WINGS computer?

I have done this on a A1000 although not practicle. i had a viper 520cd accelerator in the A1000 with 3x roms,8MB ram,and 540Mb hd. I hacked a x-surf ethernet card to the side and it happily browsed the net is 16 glorious colors(setting ibrowse 2.4 to use fast ram helped here).
it worked flawless but didnt look what i would call.. good.. lol

If you dont need ethernet, a gvp A530 with 030/50 and 3.1 roms along with BIGANIM from aminet may be the most practicle thing to do .. Biganim can stream anims from the hard drive. Put a fast scsi HD in the gvp and kick it into synchronous mode and it should stream at least 5MB/s or so and wont suck all the cpu time up.. you will be dealing with monster vid files being nearly uncompressed however. You will have to convert video to some anim format.
A dctv is the only way to get decent output close to 24bit im my opinion but i havent done any of this is quite a few years. A fast scsi interface with low cpu overhead is the key in my opinion. I wouldnt expect much off ecs/ocs tho lol.

mech
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:12:04 PM by mechy »

Offline mechy

Re: Internet and movie on Amiga 500?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;665299
I have two very curious questions to ask. Is it seriously impossible, literally, impossible for an Amiga 500 to have high speed internet connection even if the person upgrade the CPU from 7 Mhz to 50 Mhz? Can the person still have high speed internet connection like that of the Amiga 1200 and 4000 series?

Also, if a person have 50 Mhz CPU is it also impossible to be able to watch movies on the Amiga 500? Is it really far fetched to watch movies on Amiga 500? Because a simple mp3 player I have, it is tiny screen and it is not even a computer, or anything, it is a very inferior hardware spec for mp3, allows you to view images and play movies with sound by converting the movie from avi to mv or some format? So why can't Amiga 500 with 50 Mhz be able to play movies when Commodore 64 can play movies on 20 Mhz CPU running WINGS computer?

I have done this on a A1000 although not practicle. i had a viper 520cd accelerator in the A1000 with 3x roms,8MB ram,and 540Mb hd. I hacked a x-surf ethernet card to the side and it happily browsed the net is 16 glorious colors(setting ibrowse 2.4 to use fast ram helped here).
it worked flawless but didnt look what i would call.. good.. lol

If you dont need ethernet, a gvp A530 with 030/50 and 3.1 roms along with BIGANIM from aminet may be the most practicle thing to do .. Biganim can stream anims from the hard drive. Put a fast scsi HD in the gvp and kick it into synchronous mode and it should stream at least 5MB/s or so and wont suck all the cpu time up.. you will be dealing with monster vid files being nearly uncompressed however. You will have to convert video to some anim format.
A dctv is the only way to get decent output close to 24bit im my opinion but i havent done any of this is quite a few years. A fast scsi interface with low cpu overhead is the key in my opinion. I wouldnt expect much off ecs/ocs tho lol.

mech