Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SuSE Linux 9.2 Released as free download  (Read 3981 times)

Description:

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
Re: SuSE Linux 9.2 Released as free download
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 09, 2005, 10:37:07 PM »
BUGGER!  I just paid for this a couple of ing months ago! (proper boxed copy).  Ho hum, I guess at least I've got the commercial stuff ... which I probably don't use anyway, lol.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 11:11:19 PM »

Holley wrote:
BUGGER!  I just paid for this a couple of ing months ago! (proper boxed copy).  Ho hum, I guess at least I've got the commercial stuff ... which I probably don't use anyway, lol.

I bought 9.1 Pro 3 weeks before 9.2 came out.

I wasn't a happy bunny, especially as 9.1 didn't like my laptops ACPI implementation.  I had to hack it to bit's to get it to work properly.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 11:45:31 PM »
mdma: good catch!  at work we bought the 9.2 Pro..so I have it  installed here @ home :)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 02:30:40 AM »

TheMagicM wrote:
mdma: good catch!  at work we bought the 9.2 Pro..so I have it  installed here @ home :)

I'm using the 64bit version right now on my laptop, and i've got the  Broadcom 54g Wifi card working with the 30day trial of driverloader.

Hopefully ndiswrapper will make a 64 bit clean version soon.  If not i'll buy driver loader.  I must say driverloader has the best installer i've ever seen for a linux driver.

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 03:23:24 AM »
have you noticed any incompatibilities w/software when running the 64 bit version?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 07:02:17 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
have you noticed any incompatibilities w/software when running the 64 bit version?

No, none at all.

Even VMWare runs. It'll even run 64bit OS's inside a VM, even though VMWare itself is a 32bit application.

Just a few bits of hardware not fully supported.  Main one being Radeon 9600. XOrg 2D driver is ok, bt there is no 3D accelerated 64bit driver from ATI as of yet.

Very odd, as ATI have released 64bit Windows drivers and Microsoft have still not released the 64bit version of Windows.

Linux has been 64bit for around 2 years, yet ATI still haven't released a 64bit driver.

It's not like they can argue market share reasons this time is it.  Linux has the 64bit market all to itself.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 02:48:33 AM »
hey, i burned the iso on a dvd and played with it today.
cool!
i tried to see if i could connect (dsl), but i think it said i was missing some package (didn't bother to make a note of it as i'm still in the "playing" stage).

got to see the new GIMP.
yup, linux just keeps getting better. i can't tell you how long i was entertained just looking at the screen blankers!!! :lol:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 04:17:43 AM »
what I've had problems with is installing a second drive.. yep..simple task yet I hosed it.  I wasnt paying attention and I set its mount point as default to /usr.. yea..you can imagine what happened next..LOL.. SuSE booted then stopped etc.. I fixed that problem..but no matter where I set its mount point it would never work properly... I had booting problems etc.  So I gave up.. I have a 80 gig hd with about 60 gigs free.. I guess I'll buy a 160gig hd and replace this 80.  

Offline George

• Show only replies by George
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 11:55:09 AM »
Hello,
Where did you try setting it to mount after you fixed the /usr problem? I've added drives to my 9.1 install in the past with no problems, so it should be do-able. You may have done this already, but try creating a new dir, say /hd2, and mounting it there? That should work, then you can fiddle around getting it in the right place :-)
I - This is not a game
II - Here and now, we are alive

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 01:55:03 PM »
I think the next time around I tried /mnt/drive1 or something odd that way I knew it didnt exist.  After booting I recieved a weird error.. tty0 tty1 hda hdb hdc and so on was dumped on the screen.. its as if it listed all the devices in /dev  and would not continue.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 03:36:23 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
I think the next time around I tried /mnt/drive1 or something odd that way I knew it didnt exist.  After booting I recieved a weird error.. tty0 tty1 hda hdb hdc and so on was dumped on the screen.. its as if it listed all the devices in /dev  and would not continue.

That's the problem.  It didn't exist.

you need to mkdir /mnt/drive1 before you mount the drive to it.

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2005, 03:50:15 AM »
I bought 9.1 Pro 3 weeks before 9.2 came out.

It seems that they delay the downloadable ISO's.
So you can purchase the retailBOX and play *before* sometimes several *weeks* before the downloadable ISO's show up.
That's how it seems to me.

Though I sit here with my 6.2-BOX edition on the shelf next to me, my 7.2 BOX-edition on the shelf next to me. My 9.0 live eval placed back into its jewel case, my 6 CD (burn-copy) 9.2 professional - resting quietly in the nylon flip-case. AND my 9.1 FTP 8cm bootable CD in its jewel case next to my monitor.
All to never be installed on my anymore.

since I need; XineDVD to play LOTR, and streaming media plugins for firefox without having to re-engineer the base-install; I've also grown to like *compile-from-source*
much better than rpm or apt or yast or dpkg.

I have thus firmly landed on arch-wombat.

gave gentoo 3 tries, but dont like wasting 72/12/8 hours on an install just to reach kernel panic
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2005, 11:17:29 AM »
@cecilia

got to see the new GIMP.

Suse 9.2 comes with 2.0.something, so I went and got 2.2.3 - now almost every filter dialog is resizable, with preview and handy scroll-around widget in the corner, plus (especially on the Windows version) the file dialogs are nicer. It is absolutely stunning for a freebie!

I found the newer Suse RPM at Guru's RPM Site (had to add it back into the menu manually though with the Menu Editor after installing).
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

Offline bjjones37

• Show only replies by bjjones37
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 10:07:07 PM »
I always did like SuSE Linux.  It always worked better and more reliably for me than RedHat and I like have a full library of Linux software available with a simple installation.
Any obstacle can be an opportunity, try a different perspective.