Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Interview about Amiga's future - Distrita  (Read 11339 times)

Description:

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: A-EON Interview about Amiga's future - Distrita
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »
He doesn't say they sold 2000, the statement made was in the excess of 200 but less than 2000.

So could be 201. Which is disappointing, fingers crossed for the next batch of AmigaOnes.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »
I don't think its people dismissing Amiga NG, it is the cost. Which there is not alot they can do about it. Of course crowd sourcing can help with this but again developers and the Amiga community seem to be afraid of it.

Those that have used it have been  success though and sold in high numbers and to a wider audience and not just limiting themselves to our small community.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
@Iggy sure but the design work is already happening, with crowd sourcing suddenly you have a huge exposure to people outside a couple of forums. This would cover the costs easily.

Just look at all the other successfully funded projects and reasonable pricing they can achieve. These other projects also needed to design hardware, some with complicated circuit boards.

So I don't think designing the board can be used as an excuse. At the end of the day more people buying the cheaper something can become. We need to think outside the tiny Amiga community, when I mention the Amiga many people don't even know it still exists and many would purchase new hardware. They don't frequent Amiga forums or niche Amiga websites, but I've pointed them at a couple of sites.

@Thorham I don't think that is the case, I would jump at new hardware. I especially like the idea of putting a motherboard in a retail box and sell through some local stores.

Anyway, there are a lot of people wanting new hardware and most just lurk and don't bother taking part in forums for risk of being shot down. There is plenty of interest on other non Amiga sites when the Amiga is mentioned. They're just waiting for good spec hardware at a reasonable price. Hopefully the X5000 hits the spot, even the lessor X3500 may be the sweet spot that gains interest again.
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;790640
Yes, you would, but many don't. I wouldn't, because NG doesn't provide me with what I want.

Many people in the Amiga community are only interested in Classic and new hardware for Classic. Underestimating this when creating new non-classic hardware can bite you in the butt.

For many it's nostalgia, and NG doesn't deliver this. For many others it's the original Amiga games, and NG doesn't offer any advantages for that. In both cases the original hardware and Uae give you the best experience. Then there are people like me who like the original hardware as a cool retro platform. NG doesn't do that either, which is fine, because it's not what it's for anyway.

When you want to produce new hardware that's not related to the original hardware at all, you really have to keep this is mind.

The nostalgia crowd is only one small group, I'm part of that group as it was my second computer. However there is a larger group that gets overlooked that does not take part in the Amiga community.

They are Amiga fans, still out there waiting for new hardware. These are the people that are being overlooked.

They don't even know amiga.org and other forums exist or even that there is new hardware being produced. Advertising just for the Amiga community is a mistake as it is just too small.

The Amiga community is also not the end all be all of Amiga users. Just a small group of people that post on forums.

Amiga.org would be by tradition classic users so if this forum thread was on another forum it would have different responses.

Also I would disagree about Amiga NG not offering that nostalgia feel, AmigaOS 4.1 feels like a natural progression from AmigaOS 3.9. RuninUAE also is seamless once setup so you can even run igame and WHDLoad by just a double click.

At the end of the day it feels like a powerful A1200/A4000 with RTG. So my Pegasos II proudly sits along side my A1200T. Giving me the best of both worlds.
-=[LurcH]=-