Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What will drive the New Amiga?  (Read 22677 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: What will drive the New Amiga?
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
Depends on what is meant by "drive".

As has been the case for over a decade it's the fans/users that push the platforms forward. Theyre the ones who have developed the software, spent their money, etc.

If by drive however you meant a rebirth of sorts, then there simply isn't one. The computer markets are different than they once were. Apart from enthusiasts it's a very, very tough sell to market a multi thousand dollar system whose hardware is on par with a $50 phone, and whose OS would be lucky to be on par with Win98 in terms of functionality.

Im as much, or more of an enthusiast than most people here, but lets be realistic. It's a niche system nowadays and there's very little it can offer to those outside of niche circles.

I don't understand the apparent need for some sort of "rebirth" anyway. I've enjoyed the amiga thus far without it. It's the fact that it's different and not a generic host for things like python, pearl, pdf, office, etc. that make it interesting. If I want generic I can do it on the aforementioned cheapo phone, or pc. They'll do it better at less than %5 of the price anyway.

So long as there's a few hundred or so people using a system things will keep ticking along. Look at 8bit scene for example,.... a system doesn't need to clone popular trends to keep people interested.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.