Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "New" amiga hardware  (Read 18164 times)

Description:

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
Re: "New" amiga hardware
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:52:42 AM »
None of these guys seem to have heard of blogging (micro or otherwise).
No matter if you a re working on something 5 days a week or 1 day a month, in today's day and age you can do a quick post at the end of each working day.

And this goes for the big boys too; Take out the hush clauses out of your regurgitated and antiquated contracts. You're dealing with a community, not a marketplace. You should know this BTW because only a community would support a pricing model that no marketplace would.

Yes I snuck in another jab at the pricing, sue me.
I hope there is a veritable deluge of news and info out of Amiwest this year, otherwise what the f@$& is it all for.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:38:28 AM »
Quote from: Xtal;771198

Well, we have a life too. Designing software and hardware is not done in a weekend. Why should we publish all our ideas and weird mistakes to the public that just longs to see new stuff created with two decades old hardware? Most of us do this for fun and not for profit, and yet, people complain.

Shesh, most of the time spent is working out flaws not documented from C= and make it future-proof.

And no, I'm not going to promise you bells'n'whistles nor functionality of the "free beer" Haynie jumper :-P

:furious:

140 characters at the end of a day of work does not take away from your life. I never suggested that development is done in a single weekend. You should publish your ideas and weird mistakes to the public because it is the 21st century and that's how things are done now. As a person who still maintains decades old hardware I'd like to know that someone out there is working on things, bit by bit, working on problems, dealing with lack of documentation. It's called the demystification of development. Especially if you do it for fun, it makes for a richer development ecosystem. And it's not that hard to ignore all the complaints.

Who said you need to make any promises. It's just progress reports, they don't have to be "official" media releases; I'm doing this. This didn't work. I'll try this next. etc. The most recent progress reports from Toni Wilen on WinUAE are an excellent example.
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:22:17 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;771259
@agami

It's not really practical to do that level of detail, and I don't think it should be done.

For one thing, the blog would be the most boring ever. Imagine it being like this:
"Today I made no progress. Tracking a bug."
"Still tracking a bug."
"another day. where is it?"
"Found a missing equals sign. Hurrah!"
"Still doesn't work. D'oh!"
"Ripped out huge chunk of code. Too much like spaghetti."
"Bug gone. Now had to write data structures for input handler."
"Wrote input handler"
"Found bug and squashed it"

It'd be a proper yawn-fest, so nobody would read it anyway.

Also:

I don't know of anybody who blogs to this level, and even if someone does, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Nearly all Amiga work is done part time now. You don't want to see lots of blogs saying "Nothing got done today", but that is exactly what you would see.

Also, I don't see why a developer "should" do anything. The developer is not employed by a user, nor is he behooven to him on any way. If Toni Willen does it then great, that's nice, but that's just his personal choice.

Put simply, a developer can do whatever he wants in the manner he wants, it is not for the user to decide what he must and must not do. Trying to force rules and regimes on people who are basically just doing it for a hobby and love of the platform more than anything else is just going to push what developers we have left away.

Actually, even though it was a mock journal you wrote, that was interesting to read. Beats silence.

And also, I'll repeat it for the cheap seats, I said "at the end of a day of work", which means you don't post anything if you didn't work on it. If 6 months go by and you haven't posted then we know it hasn't been worked on in 6 months. And if you chase a bug for 5 days straight then we know more about how challenging this type of engineering is. In this game you don't score extra points for keeping your cards close to your chest.

Yes, some of it may be very "inside baseball", but another software or hardware engineer will appreciate it. It may give them some clues for their own project and it may open up your own project to comments from other engineers.

I am saying this of course for projects aimed at products planned for consumption  by the Amiga hobby community. If you are working on something purely for yourself then do whatever. Post or don't. But if you a looking for others to eventually buy your product then transparency is your friend.

This is just friendly marketing advice. As an Amiga hobbyist I'd like to know that there are people working on things that I could potentially use. But if enough months of silence go by then I'll pack up my A1200 and put in storage. Then when you decide your product is ready do you think I'm rushing to pull my Amiga out of storage?