Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "New" amiga hardware  (Read 18158 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:15:30 AM »
@agami

It's not really practical to do that level of detail, and I don't think it should be done.

For one thing, the blog would be the most boring ever. Imagine it being like this:
"Today I made no progress. Tracking a bug."
"Still tracking a bug."
"another day. where is it?"
"Found a missing equals sign. Hurrah!"
"Still doesn't work. D'oh!"
"Ripped out huge chunk of code. Too much like spaghetti."
"Bug gone. Now had to write data structures for input handler."
"Wrote input handler"
"Found bug and squashed it"

It'd be a proper yawn-fest, so nobody would read it anyway.

Also:

You should publish your ideas and weird mistakes to the
public because it is the 21st century and that's how things are done
now.

I don't know of anybody who blogs to this level, and even if someone does, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Nearly all Amiga work is done part time now. You don't want to see lots of blogs saying "Nothing got done today", but that is exactly what you would see.

Also, I don't see why a developer "should" do anything. The developer is not employed by a user, nor is he behooven to him on any way. If Toni Willen does it then great, that's nice, but that's just his personal choice.

Put simply, a developer can do whatever he wants in the manner he wants, it is not for the user to decide what he must and must not do. Trying to force rules and regimes on people who are basically just doing it for a hobby and love of the platform more than anything else is just going to push what developers we have left away.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
Absolutely. I'm all in favour of updates as and when they're useful. But there's no point in updating just for the sake of updating.
Many of my projects are years old - I'll work on them a bit, then I'll work on something else. Then I may come back to my other project again. If I make a big advance, then I tell people, but there's no point in updating people to say "I'm still not working on this project right now, but I may do in the future". My projects never die, they just rest. Sometimes permanently. :)
--
Ian Gledhill
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
My working model is usually "Get a bit more done to do what I want it to do then, whatever" :)
For instance, in the Catweasel driver, I'll suddenly find I need a new codec for a different disk format. Or, I need to support a new file format like IPF, that sort of thing.
The unfortunate truth is that most coding updates really would be incredibly dull. Better to just to update when you have something to say.
--
Ian Gledhill