Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!  (Read 26022 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:00 AM »
Video conversion takes time. In it'd take longer to convert a video stream and play that than it would to run the original clip in veeeery sloooow slideshow fashion. There's also a lot of other "simple" modern standards that'd struggle on any 680x0 cpu (including an overclocked 680x0 which is 10x+ the speed of any '030).

This isnt to say a more modernised browser isnt possible, it just sounds like some people are expecting too much from the good 'ol classics.

My suggestion would be to set up an organised effort, with (realistic) bounty goals clearly defined. The current expectations of a 68k browser with everything and the kitchen sink probably makes it hard for an interested person to take such a thing seriously. A more basic browser supporting CSS and javascript (netsurf isnt bad, but lack of javascript is quite limiting) is way more realistic/reasonable in my opinion.

As for the suggestion theres no coders, etc. remaining...... thats one of the craziest things Ive heard in a while.
Currently "amiga" (os3.x/4.x/mos/aros) coders are writing 3 entirely new oses, along with collectively thousands of pieces of software. OS3.x is still getting work done on it and new ports and software done. Heck, even one of the "NG" options has multiple versions (x86,x86-64,arm,ppc,68k, assorted hosted versions, etc.).
Despite all the bickering and stupidity in this community when I sit back I cant help but be impressed what this community has achieved with so little resources.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Quote from: chris;724438
Agreed, however NetSurf does actually have some basic JavaScript support (it's early days, but I have a build here with working JavaScript).  Once ported, the JS stuff will improve with no additional front-end effort required.

Ah, cool, I didnt know that. Obviously complicated javascript stuff is going to be too heavy for classics (can use massive amounts of ram for starters, even disregarding cpu usage), but some sort of basic javascript support for basic things like file uploads (most of file/image hosting sites use javascript for this) is in my opinion nigh on essential, especially with the goal in question (essentially a browser to make classic users more content vs. the options currently available).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
Can someone please point me to sources? I prefer to build offline. Also is there anything netsurf specific within the toolchain I'll need to build? (I build on 68k/os3.x itself rather than cross compiling).

Anything else that people can tell me that might save me some time would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
Bummer, I was hoping to be able to download a source archive. I wont use git, so I guess I'll have to let someone else build it. Thanks anyway.