Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Distribution Licence For Workbench...  (Read 19212 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: Distribution Licence For Workbench...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:04:38 AM »
Well as time goes on I'm more than convinced that all Workbench Disk sets from 1.3 to 3.1 will be availble for free download from my site by this weekend... :)

As so far there has been no response from either the admins or mods in answer to my first post about removing the link to my site in my signature again, as yet... :)

It was removed by RedRumloa before and I was issued with an infraction after Gazgod complained about it when I had my downloads section open to everyone and he didn't like the fact that I had in there for download the Workbench Disk Sets... :(

So therefore this time I wanted to state clearly my purpose and ask the site admins & mods not to remove the link again and issue me with infractions (or ban me) on the grounds that some folk may complain and accuse me of piracy (which I would like to add if they do so they had better be willing to back up that claim in a legal action) as I have said on numerous occasion these piracy claims are based on "opinions" and not facts... :)

I fail to understand what the motivation is behind these folk, whom apart from making these false accusations based on their flawed interpretation of copyright laws mainly seem to be wanting to do nothing more than deprive the rest of us easy access to this old software. My experience so far in this has proven that if any copyright holders do still exist they obviously don't care about the distribution of this software, so why do the copyright mafia make such a big song and dance about it... :confused:

It remind me of little children in a school playground where you always had one who said  "oooh... you swore and said a bad word, I'm telling on you", fine for little kids but these folk are supposed to be mature adults but just can't resist being a clipe (that's a Scottish word for someone who tells on someone") and for what purpose, to keep locked away forever this software from us just out of sheer spite, malice or some high lofty morals they want to impose on everyone else... :(

Sad that such folk hang around these sites and spoil things in the Amiga community but as I say they don't own the stuff they can't prove who does (if anyone) and at the end of the day what they have to say simply doesn't matter as they don't own the stuff. So it's obvious to me that they are just trying to cause bother for me or get me banned from this site... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:14 AM »
Quote from: Rob;635214
Take note Franko.  Barry Altman used the same excuses when he plagiarised fan art for his website.

Yes.. and as much as I dislike the man I have to admit that at the end if the day it led him to finally getting permission to use them and they are still on his site today with the authors signature reinstated... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 01:01:39 AM »
Quote from: Lando;635223
Anyone capable of typing 'workbench31.zip' into Google has been able to download Workbench whenever they needed to for as long as I can remember anyway, I don't see the need for this debate.

If it were that simple for everyone then why are there posts on this site and others by folk asking where they can download Workbench disks... ;)

Also why would they look for them in ZIP format when LHA & to a lesser extent LZX are the preferred choice for archiving Amiga stuff... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;635238
Yeah, but I for one would rather download ADFs from a trusted source like Franko's website instead of some unknown origin ADF that might have a virus installed "for shits and giggles".

I knew my Minimig was a "real" Amiga when it caught a bootblock virus off an ADF of P.O.W.  :D

Now there's an idea a nice wee virus that detects greetin faced copyright mafia armchair lawyer wannabes... :D

That would be nice knowing that they downloaded it despite their lofty morals and found themselves infected with a nice new virus made especially just for them... :D

I like the sound of that... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
To be honest most of the posts since my last one in this thread aren't worth even commenting on (especially the a-holes ones like koaftder & JJ's)... :)

I've explained in this thread enough times my reasons for doing what I am going to do, so if you haven't bothered to read them then tough luck, I aint explaining it again... :)

All I will say about some of the stuff posted about Cloanto is, if Cloanta would be kind enough to inform me of whom I can contact to try and purchase a distribution licence then that would be great and I'd be more than happy to do so... :)

However as I don't believe Cloanto has the ability to actually sell or issue me with a licence, then the claims by some that they have the right to ask me to remove things from my site or take legal action against me don't hold any water and if as someone said, they or their reps view this site regularly then why haven't they said something here... ;)

Cloanto are more then welcome to get in touch with me anytime now, or when the items are up on my site to either ask me to remove them or if they so wish, to attempt to pursue legal action but they had better be able to prove to me that it is their property they are asking me to remove. If not then any polite request or legal challenges will be dealt with appropriately... :)

@ Bloodline

You know the Tax fiddle thing was a joke, but to answer your query about supporting AROS then the answer is no, as it's simply something I don't have a use for or need, so sorry but I don't give my money away to things that hold no interest for me... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »
To be honest most of the posts since my last one in this thread aren't worth even commenting on (especially the a-holes ones like koaftder & JJ's)... :)

I've explained in this thread enough times my reasons for doing what I am going to do, so if you haven't bothered to read them then tough luck, I aint explaining it again... :)

All I will say about some of the stuff posted about Cloanto is, if Cloanta would be kind enough to inform me of whom I can contact to try and purchase a distribution licence then that would be great and I'd be more than happy to do so... :)

However as I don't believe Cloanto has the ability to actually sell or issue me with a licence, then the claims by some that they have the right to ask me to remove things from my site or take legal action against me don't hold any water and if as someone said, they or their reps view this site regularly then why haven't they said something here... ;)

Cloanto are more then welcome to get in touch with me anytime now, or when the items are up on my site to either ask me to remove them or if they so wish, to attempt to pursue legal action but they had better be able to prove to me that it is their property they are asking me to remove. If not then any polite request or legal challenges will be dealt with appropriately... :)

@ Bloodline

You know the Tax fiddle thing was a joke, but to answer your query about supporting AROS then the answer is no, as it's simply something I don't have a use for or need, so sorry but I don't give my money away to things that hold no interest for me... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;635324
Um, AROS provides a Free Workbench/Kickstart replacement... One that is not encumbered with stupid copyright issues... Please explain how that is something you don't "have a use for or need"? This whole thread is dedicated to the fact you DO have a need for just such software!?

Okey Dokey... it's simples... :)

How long has AROS been in "development" and how long before anyone ever sees a finished 68K version of it, to me personally it doesn't really matter at this point in time AS I HAVE NO INTEREST IN IT... :)

I only have a need for the use of the original ROMS not some new ones someone is putting together even if they do have improvements, hope you can understand that... :)

Dunno where you got the idea from that this thread is about the ROMS, IT"S NOT, its simply about (and this is for the last time) making the WORKBENCH DISK SETS free and easy to find and download for folk who require them... :)

It's high time everyone got their heads out of their arses and stopped all this pretence that it's fine that you can find them on the net if you look hard enough but just don't tell anyone or mention it in public on forums... :rolleyes:

What the frig is wrong with some of you people have you reverted back to being 6 years old and think that covering your eyes and saying "na na na na na, can't see me" or in this case can't see the sites with workebench  on them that everything is hunky dorey and all is right in Amigaland... :lol:

Gwad sake geeza brek... :rolleyes:

If you don't understand what I'm trying to do then please don't comment on it  with the same old BS and changing the subject to something else... :(

For those that do understand what my motivation is here then I thank you for the support and like yourselves I want to see an end to all this pathetic and childish behaviour that has plagued the name of Amiga for far too many years now, maybe some have tried before, I don't know but when I set out to do something I follow it through to the end whether the outcome is what I wanted or not... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;635355
I realise you might not understand the opensource movement so this can seem alien, but the end result is worth the effort. I have donated both money and code to the project and I would expect others to do the same if they want the Amiga to still exist in 20 years.

You say it doesn't work, I know then that you haven't even tried AROS68k...

I can understand your enthusiasm and support for AROS but your very, very wrong in making the wild claim that only because of AROS will the Amiga still be around in 20 years... ;)

If I'm still around in 20 years and I can assure you I will still be using the Amiga, it wont be because of AROS or even have anything to do with AROS. I will still be using real genuine original Amiga hardware and real genuine real Amiga ROMS whether they be in physical format or as ROM Image Files... :)

Please try and understand Bloodline that there are still some folk for whom the original hardware and roms is all that they require for the Amiga and if AROS is for you then by all means use it and support it but give up on the crusade to try and convert everyone to it... :)

PS: your comment to Darrin of "You say it doesn't work, I know then that you haven't even tried " the last time you posted a video on this site about it , it still wasn't functioning properly, so how can you claim that it does work... :confused:

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
Quote from: mongo;635359
It's not his to give.

Ok mongo, I have great respect for your posts on this site and the help you give people here, so please tell me who I can contact to try and obtain a distribution licence to do so, that will satisfy everyone legally... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »
@ Fraggle1

Thank for the support mate, much appreciated I assure you... :)

Being a Commodore (The real Commodore that is) user and fan for 30 year and being an Amiga fan & user for 25 of those, until June of last year when I finally decided to give the net a try, I was blissfully unaware of the fact that there were so many idiots that call themselves Amiga Users and fans until I found these types of forums that is... :(

Now I've no idea what the motivation is for some of these whahoos who post such crap around here with their never ending you can't do this and you can't that because it's IP/Copyright BS on stuff that the world couldn't give a shit about....

I really find it sad and almost embarrassing that these dunderheids call themselves Amiga users or Amiga fans as the constant BS that they like to drivel on about really spoils it for the genuine Amiga users & fans here, who want nothing more than to simply get on and use their Amigas for enjoyment & fun and not be bothered with they armchair copyright/IP wannabe lawyers who's only interest in the Amiga is posting absolute blatant gobshite on these forums...

Things sure have changed since the days when there were still plenty of other Amiga users and friends around locally that when we got together we talked about and used our Amiga for what they were made for fun, enjoyment & productivity , not this pathetic arguing and trying to prove pointless legal shit that the vast majority of us with sense could give a toss about...

Don't get me wrong there a plenty of great folks on this site who know what being an Amiga user is really all about and I'm glad to have interacted with them here, but for some strange reason these Amiga forums seem to attract more than their fair share of these wierdos and losers who's only goal in life seems to be to put the Amiga down at every chance they can get while trying to make themselves look clever by gibbering the biggest load of jobbies I've ever had the misfortune to read...

There an old saying round these parts... "There's Nowt As Queer As Folks"

And when it comes to Amiga forums never was a truer word spoken... ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;635369
No he's not. He's already pulled this shit before and had to make a choice: a) remove the disk images off his site or b) pull the link to his site out of his signature and not talk about it on AO. He choose A. The situation isn't going to change. The only reason he's pulling this crap again is to troll the site. End of story. Why do people fall for this shit?

Wrong again (as usual) on all counts... ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
Quote from: mongo;635372
bill@amiga.com

Well thanks for that but who is Bill and where can I find details on Amiga.com, don't want to go emailing some guy called Bill (could be the janitor for all I know) and I'd like to research Amiga.com first... :)

Just checked and a search for Amiga.com, took me to the AmigaInc site, I've contacted them twice and never received one reply... :(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:18:27 PM by Franko »

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;635379
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56381

Sorry haven't a clue what your trying to say, that email I received turned out to be a fake, so your point is...

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
Quote from: mongo;635381
Maybe they're not interested in doing business with you. All things considered, I'm not exactly surprised.

As I've already said I "generally" respect our posts but for whatever reason you have for making ones like that then it's no skin off my nose and I won't be dragged into some petty squabbles with you... :)

They may not be interested in doing business as you say but it wont help them if they turn out to be the copyright owners and they take me to court and I can prove to the Judge that I had indeed done my best to contact them... ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;635385
I'm just pointing out your childish behavior. You can claim what ever you like. Go ahead and put up those disk images. You will be forced again to either take them down or remove the link to your site in your signature and refrain from linking to it in the forum. The 18 pages in that thread details exactly what happened. Personally I hope you throw them up, stick to your guns and get banned.

The disk images were never taken down in the first place they were simply moved elsewhere and have been available all this time... :)

Childish behaviour, that's rich coming from someone with the mind of a 3 year old... :rolleyes:

I will indeed be putting them up and there will no legit reason for banning me for doing so... so dream on... ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 04, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »
Quote from: JJ;635388
Its not about people thinking Franko will damage the Amiga ??? Its more about him not having the legal right to do so, no mater if you agree with it or not. Its not about him making the disks freely available, they already are , its about him being a pain as always

Take some Asprins (preferably about 200) and your pain will go away permanently... :)