Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Distribution Licence For Workbench...  (Read 19221 times)

Description:

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show all replies
Re: Distribution Licence For Workbench...
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
@Franko

Don't even bother with the licenses for 1.x-3.1. It's a almost 2 decades after the initial launch of 3.1 and around 25 years for 1.3; whoever wants to obtain them has already done so, several years ago. Even typing "download Amiga 3.1 OS"" on Google will bring up countless websites that already freely distribute it and no "legitimate" source. Finally, Amiga Forever is not a couple of stock 3.1 ADFs, it's a whole UAE emulation environment headed to more "dedicated" amigans, who want to use a fully functional 3.x emulated system. 1.x-3.1 ADFs are for those who want to periodically launch some OCS/ECS/AGA game for a spin of nostalgia, and that game won't be coming from a "legitimate" source either.

Apart from the above, and on a slightly different matter, partially affiliated with the current subject, some people never cease to surprise me. I can't be sure whether it is hypocrisy or they haven't checked what year do we live in. Will you see any Sega fan complaining for distributing Megadrive's games? No. Will you see any MS follower complaining for distributing  Windows 95? No. Will you see Nintendo fan complaining for distributing Game Boy's games? No. What about Atari 2600, or DC, or Jaguar or 3DO? Even the companies behind them (and we are talking for really BIG companies), don't go after the "retro movement". And Amiga 68k is exactly what it can be described as a retro platform. But on Amiga fora every time, someone is going to complain for distributing (let's say) Agony, when even Psygnosis (long before shutting down) didn't even mentioned the word Amiga in their website, clearly indicating that they simply didn't give a fuck.

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;635135
So...Cloanto donating money to an OpenSource (Open as in free to download and modify) project affects people downloading original commodore OS how?  Once Aros68k doesn't suck, don't you think people will flock to it?  This isn't about Cloanto or AROS, its about you and Franko.  THAT is what I was inferring by giving it a rest.  Making up some bullshit reason for your Quixotic campaign doesn't change that fact.

Do not get into a debate with him. As I have pointed out offering stock 1.x-3.1 ADFs is completely different from selling a complete, fully functional, patched and up to date (as much as possible), amiga emulated environment with lots of extra goodies. No one is going to download 3.1 ADFs just to recreate AF.

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;635287
@AmigaNut

Unfortunatelly you don't get to decide what is legal and what isn't. Cloanto have paid real money to get a Free Verison of AmigaOS available to ALL Amiga users, what you you ever done (other than be a prat of course, you can have that for free)?

Instead of whining about how you want others to make pirate copies of AOS available (to keep the memory Alive?!), why not help out the community by supporting the Free Opensource clone of AROS68K?

Cloanto offers an emulated suite (suite = UAE bundled with lots of goodies such as AE, programms etc) of AmigaOS that does not run on real amigas.

Right now, it is impossible to obtain any version of 68k AmigaOS.

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;635297
And Cloanto have paid very large sums of money into the AROS 68k and Kickstart replacement bounties. Without their help the AROS68K project wouldn't exist at the level it is now!

It is a Free clone of AmigaOS that CAN boot real Amigas and run Amiga software! That is the future! Not pirating copyrighted software!

I know that AOS 68k ADFs serves as base for their software offer and they have paid for it. I respect their dedication to AROS project. However, again, this isn't a debate about Cloanto, Aros or His majesty Franko himself.

As I have a pointed out already offering (selling) a suite for classic AOS emulation that has absolutely zero purpose on a 68k hardware and distribute stock 68k AOS ADFs, are two completely different subjects.

Secondly, right now, it is impossible to boot and setup 1.3-3.1 since no one is selling them. I can't understand the elitist view of some fellow amigans. Why would anyone has to go in such a hussle, tracking down like inspector gagdet of eBay, a proper (original) copy of AOS (that will be more likely overpriced) if his are damaged because of aging?

Finally, imo, each and every 68k software (not only the OS) that is important (e.g productivity software) but not sold for many years and the company/author has stopped supporting with new updates/went out of business/moved on from the market several years ago, must become PD immediately. If anyone wants the same, provide me with a digital copy of the software and I will hosting it.

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
Makes me sick, seeing people, urging users to pick a "replacement" OS while passing by easily the fact that there is no available source to buy/install/use the proper OS, thus you are forced to do so.

Makes me even sicker to see that it's the same people that have involved in the past to various flame wars and now baptize AROS=AOS68k.

The community cannot even unite to claim PD of 25 years old OS.

Still, I would like to see how exactly will AROS perform on a stock A500 and make comparisons with 1.3.