Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A sad day  (Read 5038 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Now what?
« on: May 27, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
Quote from: Jeff;826288
http://amigaonthelake.com/
@Jeff

I wish Amiga on the Lake all the best finding worthwhile replacement products. It is reminiscent of C= falling out with their computer shop dealers in North America. The difference here is Amigakit have seemingly diverted ALL their stock of X5000s to third party distributors for the past 6 months and Amiga on the Lake are still not happy!! They should think about the supply problems in the UK and be grateful.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »
Quote from: yssing;826304
Way to burn bridges. A bit over the top.
Agreed, having re-read the statement it is really unprofessional to be honest!

The decision we made is grounded in our experience during the last 8 months in regards to both companies. As a result we have made the choice to no longer support A-EON or AmigaKit in any way, shape or form.

It sounds like Amigakit have put their foot down regarding the next shipment of boards and the fact other markets need to be supplied first and Amiga on the Lake have just thrown there teddies out of the pram!

Amigakit have in my opinion given the US market exclusive first access to this product and this is how they are rewarded!

I can't speak for the behind the scene dealings but it sounds like ingratitude to me.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »
Quote from: djomre;826324
Bummer, I was planning to buy an X5000 from them too.   This makes me think twice.   I've never understood the compulsion to do one's laundry on the internet.
@djomre

Yeah, the market is too small for this sort of petulance. Some respect for Trevor and Matthew wouldn't go a miss! Personally I'm glad that Amigakit have been able to start selling complete systems directly to UK customers and if that decision to divert stock away from third party suppliers was a factor in the 'throwing the teddies out of the pram' antics at Amiga on the Lake, then so be it. The market was always bigger in Europe anyway for Amigas.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »
@Iggy

Unprofessional is EXACTLY the term I'd use for the statement from Amiga on the Lake. In particular the sentance:

... we have made the choice to no longer support A-EON or AmigaKit in any way, shape or form.

These sentiments wreaks of personal anger and bitterness rather than some cool level headed words communicating a sound business decision. I'm not saying running an Amiga retail business is easy but don't make this personal!! A simple statement about the "ceasing of all distribution of A-EON and Amigakit products due to an unforeseen conflict of interests" would have been more than sufficient.

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: A sad day
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
@SACC-guy (& Rob for spotting this)

Can we trust ANY of the other Yes/No "facts" you've given? ;-)

Has AmigaKit been based in England? Yes.
Amigakit.com

[/B] [/FONT]Registered Address:
Leaman Computing Ltd
Asquith House
Unit 1 Dyfrig Road
Cardiff. CF5 5AD. U.K.

= WALES, part of the United Kingdom but definitely NOT England!

Wiki:

Wales is a country in southwest Great Britain known for its rugged coastline, mountainous national parks, distinctive Welsh language and Celtic culture. Cardiff, the capital, is a refined coastal city with a nightlife scene and a medieval castle with ornate Gothic Revival interiors. In the northwest, Snowdonia National Park has lakes, glacial landforms, hiking trails and a railway up to the peak of Snowdon.
  Capital: Cardiff
  Area: 20,761 kmĀ²
  Population: 3.063 million (2011)
  National anthem: Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Flag:

National Sport: Rugby

Famous Coastline seen in Dr Who: Southerndown nr Bridgend, South Wales

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:43:00 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:03:35 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;826448
I'm on the correct side of the pond...give me a break.
the whole UK thing and what the maps call England is your issue (lol)
@Sacc-Guy

Buy a better map then Yankee boy. I'm not about to assume Sacramento is in Texas just because they shout the loudest am I because I understand that you are the 'United' States just as we are the 'United' Kingdom. Both the words 'United' stand for an amalgam of constituent states or nations that are stronger together but different in their history and in the case of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England constitute different races of people with different cultures and traditions. It's not just the difference between Texans liking rodeo and Californians liking surfing :-)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 01:28:23 AM »
@SACC-guy

Maybe your geography / history should be taught through  the medium of film studies or "movie" studies as you probably call it  :-)

I guess it would go something like this:

"Like that  place where the dude holas out, "You can take our land but you'll never take  our Freeeedooom!!!" is like called Scotland kinda like that  'Beyond the Wall' land that John Snow heroically rallies against the white walkers.  And that emerald isle where that guy who will "Find you and when he finds you  he WILL kill you!" comes from, yes it's most excellently Northern Ireland. And the country where the Big Kahuna vampire dude from Twilight lives or the serial killer  out of Silence of the Lambs who was also kinda scary as the Westworld architect brainiac or the growling Batman super-dude was born... far out that's right it's Wales!!! Or that super-sized tea munching fairy tale land where everyone  talks like Hugh Grant, they all live a red bus away from a red phone box emblazoned mini-New York called London ... that's right England where the Queen lives and where they wrote all the screen plays to base our movies on!! Other than that little wizard dude they wrote about him in the place 'Beyond the Wall'. What about the Land of the Rings or what the freaking hell was it called. No dude that was Australia or New Guinea or something! :-) Like  dude I think I've got it ... gnarly man.... bodaciously far out and most  righteous my compadres (or similar typical Californian dialogue)....

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:49:24 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:56:47 AM »
@Iggy

Except for the Magna Carta, Common Law, and a language, your contributions to us have been...limited.
Add those to the jet engine, the computer, the World Wide Web and the television to name a few. Oh yeah and we also seem to have kept the development of Amiga going as well with the help of the Belgians ;-)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:59:03 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »
@nicholas

Focusing on past innovations and good things your forefathers have done for the community and nation should motivate us to keep pushing ahead with new innovations and to make the world a better place. Just as Wilberforce fought in Parliament to abolish slavery so we today face the same uphill battle to get abortion banned in present day Parliament. Where will the next engineering advancement come? Will we invent useful AI, cheap fuel or the ability to unplug ourselves from the internet for more than 10 minutes? :-)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 02:50:50 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;826462
what? thats all european inventions? at least tv isnt that clear i guess. bell has been expermenting with rotating mirrors and some guys west coast have been smearing cesium on lab flasks to see if they can turn an image of a black stripe around and see some trace of it on the bottom of a receiver.
@Wawron

No, they're all British inventions. In fact the Scottish on their own are prolific inventors. I think it must be partly down to climate as you much less likely to go to a workshop and invent something if the sun is shining and you would rather sit by the pool and keep cool in the shade!

And yes John Logie Baird; a scottish engineer was one of the inventors of the mechanical television. He demonstrating the first working television system on 26 January 1926,  and was the inventor of both the first publicly demonstrated colour television  system, and the first purely electronic colour television picture tube.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:55:38 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 03:01:51 AM »
@nicholas

Have you got any sense of community or belonging or being part of something bigger than just you and your nuclear family. People who live in Britain are all British and can all be proud of British achievements. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 03:13:41 AM »
@Motormouth

Yes the whole UK-GB-England thing is very confusing to us on this side  of the pond.  I would guess to say that the average American does not  know the difference between the three.  Ie if  England-Wales-Scotland-Northern Ireland are one country, why do they  have separate world cup teams.  It would be like the US having 50  different teams.
Exactly because we are unique nations  with different racial make ups. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish are  primarily from Celtic ancestry while the English are Anglo-Saxon. They  each speak different languages though English is now the common  language. They have different traditions and yet we have a common  history going back hundreds of years.

Yes, Wales isn't directly  represented on the Union Flag and yes the term Great Britain is used for  the Olympics when it is still technically the United Kingdom of Great  Britain and Northern Ireland.

We have seperate teams because we  like competing against each other. We feel passionately about our  difference as well as our commonality with our Westminster Parliament, armed  forces and governance systems. The 50 U.S. states I'd argue are not quite  different enough either in their racial make up, traditions or heritage  to warrant similar passions or interstate rivalries. I guess it would have been like having four  separate unions made up of French, Dutch, English and Spanish settlers  all living as separate states in northern America for a hundred years before uniting into a  four 'state' United States. Does that make more sense?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:22:54 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 03:18:25 AM »
@nicholas

A conflicted Pakistani/Englishman by the look of your logo. Again I'm sad you can't rejoice in the success of the English football team (not that success has come their way in over half a century:-)) or the Olympic team or even the fact that we (the United Kingdom) reclaimed our sovereignty from an unelected quango called the European Commission.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 03:20:36 AM »
@LoadWB

We're sick of talking about a rogue US Amiga reseller and are now talking about nationalism/patriotism and the US/UK 'special' relationship! It's far more fun though I should go to bed as I'm on the Welsh/Scottish/N. Irish and English side of the pond :-)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;826481
No idea where you've got Pakistani from but then again to a Little Englander "all Muslims are Pakis" eh? ;)

I'll celebrate when we get rid of our unelected Prime Minister for sure and do a double celebration if/when we get rid of that benefit scrounging family that lord it over us too. ;)
Sorry it's an Iranian flag isn't it? My bad. I suppose the Engli-stan bit threw me off and I thought of Paki-stan. Maybe saying your from Eran (England / Iran) would be more accurate? ;-)

And also we are not voting for a Prime Minister in the General Election (we aren't American as already discussed) we are voting for an MP to represent us in Parliament. I don't think Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn are fit to be our Prime Minister and I question Theresa May's reasons for calling it early. It won't change my voting pattern however as I have a good MP who has done a good job and has also stood up for marriage being between a man and woman in spite of the rabid liberal media trying to outlaw such opinions. If she can stand against peer pressure and stick to some moral convictions she's the MP my area needs irrespective of her party allegiance.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:43:16 PM by BozzerBigD »