Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who wants to play help red figure out the jumpers?  (Read 15782 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Who wants to play help red figure out the jumpers?
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 26, 2010, 04:54:17 AM »
Well it works. Since this is some sort of industrial board I assumed they must have used an Intel, which is what I was originally looking for and got from joekster today. It posts right away and I can go into the BIOS. Nice BIOS!

It detects the Intel MMX, but is set for 133Mhz.

I'm fine leaving this as 133Mhz for now since I'm not worried about speed. I just gotta look into CPU voltage to make sure it is right...

Thanks to all that helped look for info:hammer:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »
If you poke around the voltage regulator with a multimeter you'll surely find the core voltage. P/MMX wants 2.8V, very late CPUs run with as low a voltage as 2.4V.

The multiplier is set to 2.0x, for 3.0x (200 MHz) you'll need to change both jumpers unfortunately. Here's a socket pinout to help you track the BF traces:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:12:27 AM by Zac67 »

Offline nick_danger

• Show only replies by nick_danger
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
It's a year later but here is some of the info you may have been needing.

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
Quote from: nick_danger;634884
It's a year later but here is some of the info you may have been needing.

I sent Red the manual for this board last year.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline lutiana

• Show only replies by lutiana
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it appears that some people here have the manual for this SBC, which I desperately need myself. I picked up this exact SBC a few weeks ago and I am interested in working out how to get it working and what the various options on the board do.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »
Good luck with it.
If you figure out the voltage settings, and the multiplier settings, you might want to experiment and see if it can handle a K6-2 cpu.
Setting a K6-2's multiplier to 2X, gives it a 6X multiplier, so that when set to a 66 MHz bus speed, you get 400 MHz operation.
Which is about twice what that board will do with a Pentium, AND the K6-2 is faster clock for clock than the Pentium.
It probably can't support a K6-2+ or K6-III (as they have on chip cache), and they really benefit boards that can be jumpered for higher bus speeds anyway (75, 83, or 100 MHz).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline BLTCON0

• Show only replies by BLTCON0
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;828656

It probably can't support a K6-2+ or K6-III (as they have on chip cache), and they really benefit boards that can be jumpered for higher bus speeds anyway (75, 83, or 100 MHz).

They will typically boot fine albeit mis-identified and there exist utilities to configure them correctly after boot-up, but the real issue is the voltage regulators. Those chips would stress the 12A regulators of the venerable TX97-XE socket7 board to the max, esp. the 2.4 volt versions.
I would highly doubt this particular SBC could reliably sustain this kind of load, it just doesn't seem to have been made with those chips in mind.

But if it could, then it's the on-chip full speed L2 cache of the K6-III that actually makes it perfectly suitable for lower bus speeds - the higher the discrepancy between CPU and system bus speed the more profound an effect the local cache has.

On my rev 4.1  GA-5AX with a 2.4V K6-III @ 400, I actually preferred the 66 Mhz setting because it enabled the motherboard's tag-RAM to function properly (not so at 100 MHz), thus letting the motherboard's cache function as L3 cache with the K6-IIII.
Overall performance was perceptibly snappier and only tasks involving huge RAM I/O loads would be somewhat slower.

Offline lutiana

• Show only replies by lutiana
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;828656
Good luck with it.
If you figure out the voltage settings, and the multiplier settings, you might want to experiment and see if it can handle a K6-2 cpu.
Setting a K6-2's multiplier to 2X, gives it a 6X multiplier, so that when set to a 66 MHz bus speed, you get 400 MHz operation.
Which is about twice what that board will do with a Pentium, AND the K6-2 is faster clock for clock than the Pentium.

Well mine came with a P-233 MMX chip, and I assume it's configured for that chip. I do have a K6-2 450 which I could try to use on the thing.

Mostly I want the manual to work out how to power the thing outside of a backplane and I do not have a backplane. There is a power header on the board and I am interested to know if that could be used to power it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:29:42 PM by lutiana »