Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum changes..  (Read 2029 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Forum changes..
« on: May 21, 2009, 02:54:27 PM »
The Amiga.org Project Management / bug tracker now has it's own link in the forums display.  

PLEASE MAKE ALL SUGGESTIONS, BUG REPORTS, AND SUCH VIA THAT TOOL.  

Otherwise your suggestion may get lost amongst the chatter (as some requests have unfortunately).

Speaking of new forums, etcetera, I know this is all very, very confusing, and I'm sorry to spring this on you at once, but going over the forums this morning, it dawned on me that we have well over 30 forums now.  

Frankly, I understand that each serves a different need but wow.. 30+?

We got this way because on the last expansion, everyone chimed in and said "what about me, what about my needs?"  But several of these forums have only a couple hundred posts spread over several years.

To that end, I'm CONSIDERING consolidating several to cut down on both confusion and would invite discussion on the following;

1) The The "Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" would be removed and have it's two forums (Emulation and Alternative OS) combined into "Amiga Emulation and Alternative Operating System Discussion" under Amiga General Discussion

2) The Specific uses for your Amiga category would be removed, and the Amiga Audio and Desktop Video would be combined to Amiga Desktop Audio and Video under Amiga General Discussion.

3) Linux PPC Development and AROS development would be combined under "Alternative Operating Systems development".

I began this morning by placing Amiga Chat above the Amiga.org specific forums, because frankly, the Amiga's more important than Amiga.org's chatter.  I didn't combine anything yet though.

What say ye?

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Forum changes..
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;455474
1) The The "Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" would be removed and have it's two forums (Emulation and Alternative OS) combined into "Amiga Emulation and Alternative Operating System Discussion" under Amiga General Discussion

Not going to vote on this since I rarely, if ever, use those forums. But it seems to me that discussion of Amiga emulation, while probably containing posts about the host OS in terms of installing/configuring/using the emulator, is likely to be quite different to discussion of the alternative OSs themselves. So IMO it still makes sense for these to be separate.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline RRunner

• Show only replies by RRunner
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
Based on the "feedback" surrounding the recent changes, it seems that everyone uses the "Last 10 Posts" on the main page, "Newest Posts" or "Today's Posts". As such, having 30+ different message bases probably isn't accomplishing much other than filling up the screen. I know that at times it has confused me as to where I should post my topic. I would suggest consolidating them down in to more general categories. Just my $0.02 worth... I won't get bent out of shape either way.
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
A2000 030/40Mhz, 8Mb RAM, 1GB HD
AmiKit

ChuckT

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »
I think there should be some DIY (Do it Yourself) forums.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:27:14 PM »
Sounds fine.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »
I say go ahead with 2 and 3, but I do find it handy to have the Other OSes forum for the occasional (non-Amiga-emulation-related) PC/Linux question. Although if the proposed combined forum covers that, then I suppose that's fine, too.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:27:21 PM »
I agree with Matt_H.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:08:53 PM »
I'm all for reducing the number of forums.

It's not as if the posts are going to be deleted. They will just be merged into other threads making the layout simpler.

Just in case people didn't notice it, the Coffe House discussion no longer appears on the front page 'Recent Threads' block. Just like the old days.

Now you can spam away again privately. Uh huh huh! :elvis:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:11:42 PM by GadgetMaster »

• Winning!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;455665
Just in case people didn't notice it, the Coffe House discussion no longer appears on the front page 'Recent Threads' block. Just like the old days.

I generally refrain from telling people about stuff like that, because then I can just wait and actually see who notices -- versus those who simply like to kvetch about it not being the way that it actually is now.

Did I mention I was chaotic neutral.  I'm saving up for Chaotic Evil, but the membership dues are a bitch..

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;455666
what was said

You could just delete the two posts above and pretend it was never said. Keep this post to keep 'em guessing :lol: ....

*Whistles innocently * :angel:

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:19:12 AM »
I like the way new amiga.org looks. First it looked as a forum [didn`t like it at all] but now you put news sections, as in old web version - this one I like more. I would add also option to add IMAGE [when announcing news] to make it more rich. Text news are a bit boring.

• Winning!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »
Quote from: djnick;455721
I like the way new amiga.org looks. First it looked as a forum [didn`t like it at all] but now you put news sections, as in old web version - this one I like more. I would add also option to add IMAGE [when announcing news] to make it more rich. Text news are a bit boring.
Hey DJ,

We are working on getting the news back in shape.  It's on the list but I just wanted you to know that ANYONE can add images to the forum posts and have them show up on the "news" listing.  Just insert the image before typing text and choose a left or even a right justification.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 01:58:39 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;455722
Hey DJ,

We are working on getting the news back in shape.  It's on the list but I just wanted you to know that ANYONE can add images to the forum posts and have them show up on the "news" listing.  Just insert the image before typing text and choose a left or even a right justification.

Wayne

hmmmm Goatse anyone? i kid i kid