Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kickstart file for WinUAE 8.22R1  (Read 7744 times)

Description:

Kickstart file for WinUAE 8.22R1
« on: October 07, 2002, 11:17:34 PM »
I´ve already download and installed the WinUAE 8.22R1 but this emulator doesn´t work without the kickstart.
Can anyone tell me where can I get it?. I have the Workbench disk (1.3 and 3.1 but my old Amiga 4000 is not working, so can not use it to save the Kickstart to a disk)

Thanks for your help.

Pablo  :-)  

Offline AndyC

• Show only replies by AndyC
Re: Kickstart file for WinUAE 8.22R1
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 11:29:06 PM »
If you already own an Amiga, and have the hardware ROMS in your possession, its perfectly ok for you to download them.

Its finding them thats the problem...

Cheers,
AndyC
Sarah Palin... seriously?

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 11:58:36 PM »
but my old Amiga 4000 is not working,

if you have to ask on here then you have not looked hard enough,

google  :-D

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2002, 08:07:42 PM »
Thanks guy for the info.

I used google before but using the keyword "Amiga Emul" and I didn´t find anything but this site.

Now I tried again using the keyword "Workbench and I found the Kickstart and also the Woprkbench at this link:

**EDITED BY TheMagicM : No pirate links. Thanks! **

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2002, 10:55:49 PM »
You're probably gonna get flamed like hell for posting that link :-D.

Offline arcticandyb

• Show only replies by arcticandyb
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2002, 11:34:23 PM »
Considering that WB 3 is about ten years old, and 3.1 is only a minor Escom update to the original 3.0, I don't see why anyone should have problems with that link.

If the Amiga had had any real OS support since Commodore died then that OS would be as ancient and unfunctional as 1.1 is when compared with 3.0.

It's actual market worth isn't that much, especially as most of the people that emulate Amigas just ripped the roms illegally from their Amigas anyway.

BTW which Amiga company has ever declared it's okay to rip the rom from a real Amiga?

It's sort of like the urban myth that says copyright law allows for backups of CDs and CDRoms.

Actually, mainly due to the music industry lobbying American politicians, it is about as legal as copying them and selling them on the street - which is to say not at all.

Ofcourse it's totally justifiable to say "I won't use my Amiga while I use WinUAE", but probably not really true - especially if you have both machines running to copy data backwards and forwards..

The only legal way to get hold of Amiga rom images is to pay for them (again), and the only place you can currently purchase them from is Cloanto's Amiga Forever website.

So while I agree with both that argument that 3.1 should be free - after all in OS terms it's as redundant as that of a Speccy or C64, and I agree that you should be able to rip the image from real Amiga roms, the reality is that it isn't free and it isn't ok to make copies, even for your own personal use.

Does anyone really think that making people pay for Amiga roms will cause people to buy more Amiga products?  How so?  Except maybe to pay $20 for a second hand A1200 on ebay, or a few bucks more to buy Amiga Forever.  And if people do either of those it is highly unlikely they will spend the $600-$1000 needed for an A1 system.

The only AmigaOS roms that should still remain protected from free distribution are those included with the about to be released A1/OS4 systems.

Because if 3.1 was downloadable for free, and WinUAE was an entirely free emulated system, it might be possible to use it as a pre-release demo for prospective A1 buyers, that have left the Amiga scene.

The nostalgia alone of running a WinUAE system, and a carefully placed inbuilt commercial that informs these users of the new A1/OS4 system, could quite easily bring back a few thousand users.

BTW I did buy my rom images from Cloanto, just in case anyone thinks I'm just advocated copyright theft for my own benefit - mostly because although I no longer have a real Amiga, it doesn't mean I don't still buy Amiga software, and want to support the Amiga scene.  But even though I had to pay, I still think new WinUAE users should be able to get a decent set of ROMs for free - even if they were just the v3.0 ROMs.

WinUAE could be a good, and extremely cheap marketing tool if used correctly.
GPF (the famous Blue Screen of Death) honest version :-

The system has become busy or unstable.
Actually, we say \\"system\\" but what we really mean is \\"Windows\\".
If you like, you can wait and see if the \\"system\\" recovers.
It won\\\'t, but it will give yo

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2002, 12:16:38 AM »
I don`t know why all of a sudden amiga users are so against people downloading the roms,

Look at amiga rom history, people have been pirating the roms since the 80s on those Kickstart disks "Relokick, Multikick, KS1.3, kickdown etc" and many amiga PD Companys used to sell Kickstart disks with copyrighted roms on them and i seriously doubt they had permission to sell them disks,

but hey it was ok when Mr amiga user wanted to play old games,  but the games wont work over 1.3 so Mr kcikstart disk to the rescue,

so think before you all moan at people downloading roms, think back carefully when you used a rom image of a machine which you did not own, I did and i think many honest ppl can admit they used or still use KS disks,

So overall all this nonsence about rom piracy is about 14 years to late.

Offline Indoro

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 02:36:10 AM »
This situation is completely different, and was allowed by Commodore. (For OS v 1.0-1.2 at least.)

Commodore allowed the copying and distribution of KS discs, just like at the timne Apple allowed the copying and distribution of MacOS and ProDOS.

it was right in the Commodore license as a matter fo fact.

The reasoning behind this was that you could only use the KS discs on an Amiga 1000, so you have obviouslly spent money with Commodore to buy one, otherwise the KS discs woul be useless.

ROMfiles for an emulator are quite a different matter...you are not spending money with the IP/ED owners, so you are not entitld to use the software.

But to put your original point in a totally new light: Janet Reno (IIR) once said that Amiga is the most popular platform for sw piracy, including sw piracy of MacOS software...(Emplant anyone?)

//Indoro//

Offline WalkernyRanger

• Show only replies by WalkernyRanger
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 03:00:30 AM »
Just go with Amiga Forever!  I just got it this weekend, you can download it for $30.  And have it with in about ten minutes.  It has many rom files, many versions of workbench and many pre-installed Amiga programs to run.  When you consider all the time you probably have already spent plus the additional time finding roms and WB disks, $30 is worth it.  And it is 100% liscensed.  It really is great.  

Offline Zadoc

• Show only replies by Zadoc
    • http://www.zadocnightmare.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2002, 05:02:21 AM »
I don`t know why all of a sudden amiga users are so against people downloading the roms,

It still doesn't make it LEGAL, which is the point of matter.  Sure on an ethical argument, I don't mind making copies of WB floppies for people that might have corrupted disks, I don't mind e-mailing Install Disks to help people which are all violating that same law.

The problem I have is that people are putting 'ROM-images' which still hold a valid copyright to Amiga Inc., on a website or ftp server and put Amiga.Org at risk for being the 'advertisement'.

Argue the ethics all you want, the point is that is still ILLEGAL and this isn't the place to discuss pirating anything.  I'd hate to see Amiga.Org run into any problems by a few pirates with ethics problems.

As long as Amiga holds the copyright to the ROM images it doesn't change the legailty issue.
Welcome to my Nightmare
Zadoc...and the Nightmare

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2002, 06:11:11 AM »
@articandyb

Considering that WB 3 is about ten years old, and 3.1 is only a minor Escom update
to the original 3.0, I don't see why anyone should have problems with that link.

3.1 was made by C=, and the 1st copies were produced and sold by
Villagetronic (remember that "clueless german judge"  :-o ) Escom
did make 3.2 for the Walker, but that never saw the light of day.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline createcoms

• Show only replies by createcoms
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2002, 08:52:35 AM »
Age doesn't validate piracy .  The ROM image is still copyright, simple as that.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2002, 09:25:18 PM »
in addition to what createcoms said..

This site will not be associated with helping users find illegal copies of ROMS.  Is it easy to find roms, sure, but this isnt the place to search for them.

Thanks!

Alex
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2002, 10:27:06 PM »

Rubbish. Amiga ROMs are still on sale so the piracy debate is just as relevant as ever. If you use a copied ROM without a licence, you're a lame pirate. End of dicussion.

Offline Mickey

• Show only replies by Mickey
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2002, 11:11:00 PM »
KennyR is a real saint. Please quit your crap about pirating. I bet you got nothing pirated and no mp3s nor ANY illegal software and you never have had any. You are just a hypocrite and you have no idea who's doing what so don't judge. Any time someone asks for something you start your bashing. Of course you are a saint so I'll just disappear. DAMN :-x