Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games that you wish had Amiga versions?  (Read 6519 times)

Description:

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
Re: Games that you wish had Amiga versions?
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 23, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
@ save2600: visually, the overworld sections of Amberstar and Ambermoon are similar (and maybe better done IMO), they also have kickass battle system, but not easy to get into more like hardcore RPGs...
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »
Quote from: koshman;593888
@ save2600: visually, the overworld sections of Amberstar and Ambermoon are similar (and maybe better done IMO), they also have kickass battle system, but not easy to get into more like hardcore RPGs...

yeah, those games are both really well done, but definitely more Western inspired aside from the overhead stuff.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline curtis

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »
@ Cammy

Hmm, didn't know that.  Will check it out!
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;593802
Fallout 3.

That reminds me, a Wasteland port for the amiga would had been cool too.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
Quote from: little;593900
That reminds me, a Wasteland port for the amiga would had been cool too.

Heh, bit of a coincidence, I just finished reading a review of it in an old issue of Commodore Computing International. Have never played it, but it's definately one to add to my "games that Id like to play oine day, but more than likely wont get around to it" list.  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
ultima underworld
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Castle Wolfenstein - the original with nicer graphics, sound effects and music. Always wish this would have been updated for a modern console or Amiga. Instead, it went 3D and well... yeah.  :(

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
Well for multi user games I thought the sierra games were good, as well as Jones in the Fast lane, and my favorite game I hoped would appear on the the amiga is M.U.L.E.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline save2600

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:15 PM »
Quote from: koshman;593888

Thanks Fishy_Fiz and Koshman,

I checked out Amberstar, Speris Legacy, Legends and Dragonstone just now. Amberstar looks more like what I'd be after, but shoot... was kind of expecting some full screen action and better controls  :lol:  Even still, looks to be a great game.  This is really it for Final Fantasy-like games?  What a disappointment. Dragonstone looks to be a nice Zelda clone though with good graphics though and as a bonus, looks like you can use a 2-button joystick too!

Well, we always have games like Drakkhen, Ultima's & the various AD&D's for a more "hardcore" RPG experience at least.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:59:07 PM by save2600 »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
Well, Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior-style RPGs didn't really hit it big until the mid-90s, and by that time Commodore was already in its death throes. I presume developers didn't want to put in as much effort as would be required to make a decent SNES-to-Amiga port for their games when they weren't even sure how much longer the platform would be around. Still, I have to wonder why there weren't at least ports of some of the Sega Genesis and Sharp X68000 games, given that they were already 68k-based...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline save2600

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;593976
Well, Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior-style RPGs didn't really hit it big until the mid-90s, and by that time Commodore was already in its death throes.

Nah, late 80's, early 90's is more like it - right when Amiga was most popular and dare I say "flourishing". First Final Fantasy came out in '88 - Final Fantasy III was in '91-'92 (they were big right off the bat). And there were dozens of clones in between then. Early to mid 90's, we sure got a lot of great games. Amiga was still pretty BIG then. '96-'97 is when it all started going downhill gaming and support wise. The stuff that was coming out was great, but too few and far between.  

Someone else mentioned the X68000 platform as well as the fact Japanese programmers simply weren't paying attention to Amiga and that must have been the real problem as most of the U.K. were too busy with their obsession with floaty, silly, colorful platform games.  :rant:  :roflmao:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:50:31 AM by save2600 »

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2010, 01:05:12 AM »
I'll take floaty platform games over JRPGs any day.  Action RPGs like Terranigma, however, would have been a godsend.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:04 AM »
Quote from: save2600;593977
Nah, late 80's, early 90's is more like it - right when Amiga was most popular and dare I say "flourishing". First Final Fantasy came out in '88 - Final Fantasy III was in '91-'92 (they were big right off the bat).
They were big in Japan, but it took a while longer for them to catch on in the US; IIRC they didn't really become a big thing stateside until 1993-94 (i.e. the point when SNES RPGs started getting really, really good.)

Still, it probably does have more to do with regional barriers than timing; after all, Western-style RPGs were pretty big during the Amiga period, so you'd think they would have at least brought over a couple of the more popular JRPGs to see if they'd sell (heck, non-MSX home computers are practically the only platform they didn't port Dragon Warrior to.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:12 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;593987
They were big in Japan, but it took a while longer for them to catch on in the US; IIRC they didn't really become a big thing stateside until 1993-94 (i.e. the point when SNES RPGs started getting really, really good.)

Still, it probably does have more to do with regional barriers than timing; after all, Western-style RPGs were pretty big during the Amiga period, so you'd think they would have at least brought over a couple of the more popular JRPGs to see if they'd sell (heck, non-MSX home computers are practically the only platform they didn't port Dragon Warrior to.)

Dragon Quest originated on the MSX and was released simultaneously for the NES.  Thats it.  

JRPGs were definitely popular before the SNES days.  Nintendo Power pre SNES proves this.

The problem is that the computer RPG scene in the western world was radically different than the console one.  

Ultima vs. Dragon Warrior, for example.   Totally different gameplay concepts.  

Alot of heavy CRPG players I know dont like the linear qualities of JRPGs.

and you'll notice there are not alot of first person Japanese RPGs, and the ones that do exist (Dungeon Magic!) are kind of strange in comparison to Western ones like Goldbox games and Might and Magic.

Given the time the Amiga was released, they really should have tried getting a few games to test the waters.  Dragon Quest 1, Final Fantasy 1, and Ys would have been good tests to see how things would have went.

also, fishy_fiz, you need to play Wasteland, asap.  Though I recommend it for DOS unless you like dealing with disk swapping.    Never playing that game is like, against the rules of life.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2010, 05:51:34 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;593802
Fallout 3. If only because the ability to run it would necessitate that we had machines on par with modern PC's at a hardware level and a software market big enough to warrant a port.

That and the fact it was a damn fine game.

? I would select Crytek's Crysis instead of Fallout 3. Fallout 3 can easily run on Xbox 360/PS3 or PC with Geforce 8600 GT GDDR3.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »
I still wanna see 'Wacky Waiters' & 'Shoplifter'... :cry: