Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What OS's "aside of Linux" Can I run on a G3 Imac 233 Mhz?  (Read 2625 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
What OS's "aside of Linux" Can I run on a G3 Imac 233 Mhz?
« on: November 30, 2003, 03:11:30 AM »
I HATE Linux so don't say it! :)

I hear AROS will support this soon?

How about MorphOS, does that run on it, or how about BeOS?

Any other OS' you could mention would be great too!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
Re: What OS's "aside of Linux" Can I run on a G3 Imac 233 Mhz?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 03:38:57 AM »
Hi mate, been a while since I saw you post :-)

I wouldn't doubt that AROS will run on similar machines eventually, I don't know however if they have such a machine to build for and test it on, you could always lend them it for a while ;-)

As for BeOS, I seem to remember reading about a PPC port that was never completed, however there is OpenBeOS, one of the target architectures for that project is the G3/G4 iMac. As far as I know, Zeta (the new name for BeOS, esentially) is x86 only.

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 04:25:55 AM »
Weel if you tire of OS9.x.x
there's always OSX

It runs GREAT on a machine that slow, just max out the RAM and install it!

It has a different look and feel and if you change the 'skins' it can look cool!! Or if you install the windows one, it will look all windowy and stuff!!
http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/
You just have to be running 10.2 or higher.

OSX is so un-mac-like while still being cool and VERY-mac-like!!!

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline McNorris

• Show only replies by McNorris
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 04:41:03 AM »
Here you go:

- Mac OS 9.x / runs fast

- Mac OS X / Go for 10.2 (the others are slow). It'll run fast enough, but don't give it too many tasks.

- Linux PPC / (even SUSE has a PPC) I don't like Linux and won't advocate it's use, but hey... If it's your bag, it's more stable than Mac OS 9.x

- BeOS / Ah, my beloved OS. but sorry NO. It won't run. Be wanted to support G3s, but Apple wasn't having (or providing). Absolutely no G3s w/ BeOS.

As far as AROS, I don't know.

I have a Rev. A that I might be selling for parts.

Some stuff you might be into:
- The 4MB VRAM expansion for the Rage IIc
- A 128 MB RAM SIMM
- A 256 MB RAM SIMM
- The Game Wizards Voodoo II 8MB VRAM
- A daughterboard over-clocked to 300 Mhz

other stock stuff, 4GB HD, MB, CD-ROM, Keyboard, Mouse, modem card, etc...

Let me know if your into parts.
Where to get the news that matters...
http://www.theonion.com...

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 05:54:36 AM »
I had an iMac 233, with Game Wizard, which was great, but don't expect any of the alternative OS's to support it.

I would second what other's have said.... BeOS did start life on PPC, but they never supported G3 and newer Mac's...thats ancient history now.

Anyway Mac OS X is great, I wouldn't choose any other OS to run on that machine.  You can either just run the latest software, like most mac folks, or you can play around with the shell, cause it really does have the unix underpinnings.  It's a great OS, slick and customizable at the same time.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 06:40:26 AM »
Hmm, well OSX is damn kool...

...for bloatware. But I ran it (the latest version) on my friend's G4 laptop which was about 1Ghz or so, and it was still pretty slow, even with 256Mb RAM. I'd hate to imagine it on a 233 or 300Mhz IMac. :)

So there is NO MorphOS support for the Mac then?!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline kolla

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 07:01:09 AM »
NetBSD or OpenBSD?
Darwin?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 07:44:11 AM »
I concur with XDelusion.  I saw MacOS 10.2 running on G4 iMacs and a dual G5 tower at Circuit City, and I thought it was dog slow.  Screen refreshes and animations seem OK, but windows have horrible delays when opening them.  It didn't seem very responsive to me.  It's hard to tell if it's the hardware or the OS, though.  Apple is well known to skimp on the video hardware in their desktops.  (You spend $2,500 for a G5 tower, and it only comes with a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra?  WTF?)

Then again, I'm used to an original GeForce3 on an ABit IS7 mobo.  My dad's friend just bought a P4 3Ghz laptop from Dell, and I swear it was less responsive than some Celeron 500 desktops.

I find it hard to believe that OS X runs even acceptably on older Macs.

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 08:00:46 AM »
WOW.....
The slowest HW that I've run OSX (starting with 10.0!) on is a 355 G3 iBook (indigo) with an ectra 128MB of RAM added to the 64 MB built in.
It was slower, but it served the functions that I needed it for:
1. browsing (DU & BB)
2. designing CD labels
3. converting MIDI files (made on Amiga!!) to MP3
4. Quake 1 and 2
5. a letter or two!

It worked.
And the speed was bareable. But then it just seemed so compared to my (at the time!) 68040 A1200!!
Before choosing an OS, think about your needs. If speed is the ONLY issue, stick with OS 9 or use this as an excuse to UPGRADE!!!

Yellowdog is universaly hated on the Mac front, but it installs and sets up easy! AND it has decent HW support. Go figure!

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline crystall

• Show only replies by crystall
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 10:26:29 AM »

Then again, I'm used to an original GeForce3 on an ABit IS7 mobo. My dad's friend just bought a P4 3Ghz laptop from Dell, and I swear it was less responsive than some Celeron 500 desktops.

I find it hard to believe that OS X runs even acceptably on older Macs.

I think that 'responsivness' is a highly sujective measure. I find MacOS X 10.2/10.3 pretty zippy on my Dual 1GHz, earlier version looked too slow to me. Then again it doesn't even look as responsive as my A1200 with a 40 MHz 040 but I think this depends heavily on what apps you use. Anyhow w/o some eye-candy MacOS X is acceptable on older Macs, what it needs desperately is a bunch of RAM, 256 megs are an absolute minimum if you don't want  to hear it swap brutally every time you launch an app.

Offline McNorris

• Show only replies by McNorris
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 08:59:32 PM »
To the OS X doubters....

Hey, it's resource hungry just like XP.

My iBook 366 Indigo was completely usable.
Of course I was encodeing video with it. Just surfing, typeing, games, mp3s... That sort of thing.

But Damn! My buddy bought a New Sony Vaio w/ a 2.6Ghz P4 and XP feels just as peppy on my Dell w/ a PIII 800Mhz.

Here again we aren't talking about crunching mpegs, just day to day.

Nothing starts faster than AmigaOS 3.1 from a crachety old 40MBer. :)
Where to get the news that matters...
http://www.theonion.com...

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 11:41:07 PM »
YOu know, from reading what half you guys are typing about this Zippy OS business, it is REALLY hard to believe any of you ever owned an Amiga.

So does MorphOS run on IMac?

Also I was planning on getting a 600Mhz G4 upgrade with Firewire for my Imac, would it be a better machine to do video editing on than my PeeSea?

Every Ati All In Wonder I have ever owned has sucked, has not worked, or just gave bad quality or corrupted videos. I hope the world of the Mac is better for this.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2003, 12:37:36 AM »

XDelusion wrote:
YOu know, from reading what half you guys are typing about this Zippy OS business, it is REALLY hard to believe any of you ever owned an Amiga.

So does MorphOS run on IMac?

Also I was planning on getting a 600Mhz G4 upgrade with Firewire for my Imac, would it be a better machine to do video editing on than my PeeSea?

What was the PC setup?

Can that encode DivX (@TV PAL res) in real time?

Every Ati All In Wonder I have ever owned has sucked, has not worked, or just gave bad quality or corrupted videos. I hope the world of the Mac is better for this.

Can your statement apply to Radeon 9800 VIVO (with Catalyst 3.2)?

I don’t have video capturing problems the with my NV25 VIVO (Philips Electronics’ TV CODEC chip) based solution.

The test PC was;
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @2.2Ghz, GA-7N400Pro2 (nForce2 400 Ultra**), NV25 VIVO, CL Audigy2 7.1 ZS**, 1GB PC3200 (dual channel mode), +200GB 7200 RPM HD(s). Sonic Foundry’s Vega 4.0 works fine with this setup. **Equipped with a total of 4 Fire-wire ports (i.e. 3 from GA, 1 from CL).

A similar test setup was fine with ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. I do have access to VIA based mobo IF additional test is required.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 01:11:00 AM »
But Damn! My buddy bought a New Sony Vaio w/ a 2.6Ghz P4 and XP feels just as peppy on my Dell w/ a PIII 800Mhz.

There are several factors that may slow down WinXP PC i.e.  
1. Availability of physical RAM e.g. 1GB vs 512MB vs 256MB vs 128 MB
2. The RPM speed of the Hard Disk.
3. Front side bus speed.
4. Broken drivers.
5. GPU
6. APU/DSP(lesser extent)  
7. Chipset and its companion chipset drivers.

Laptops usually have power saving regimes thus slowing things down i.e. what was the hard disk’s RPM in your laptop (e.g. 4200)?

Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 01:20:13 AM »
I had the original All In Wonder back when a 500 Mhz AMD was the top thing, and 128 Mb of RAM was a lot.

My most recent atempt was with my Dual 1000Mhz AMD ASUS MObo, 256 Mb of Kingston RAM, ATA 133 Samsung Hard Drive, and a Radeon All In Wonder.

I would encode in 640x480, NTSC and get crap quality, if I would set the Bit Rate too high, it would either stop itself after 20Mins or so, or when it finished, the play back was horrible!!!! I would stick on a frame, and play the sound, then maybe after 5 minutes move to the next frame.

I even formatted, re-installed XP with fresh drivers and Codecs, same thing.

Another thing that pisses me off about ATI is they put Macrovision protection on there damn cards so that you CAN NOT back up those old aging VCR tapes, which REALLY makes me mad.

I wrote ATI support  a few times...

...no repsonce.