Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Mono Audio Amplifier
Mono Audio Amplifier
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: After acquiring a (Now unobtainable) Maplin electronics mono 150W audio amplifier unit (Which needed a short-circuited MOSFET replacing), I started wondering if I could make a multipurpose PA type amplifier/subwoofer accompliment to the desktop speakers.
After raiding a old hi-fi for the S-Meter, slider PCB, and three band graphical equaliser, as well as the garage for the rest of the parts to make up the power supply and the rest of the amplifier...Here it is finished!
Note how the two volume sliders simply alter the balance of the two left and right audio signals before they are mixed together to form a mono signal, and the two speakers that the amplifier sits on top of are connected in series (Phased with one another) in order to provide better power handling (OK, they could also be connected in parallel but that would be overkill for a single room, but this can be done in the case of PA system applications).
The rotary control on the front adjusts the S-Meter sensitivity.

Btw, the silver-looking amplifier heatsink came from a duff switchmode microwave oven!

Amplifier part number: LP56L (Mosfet Amp Kit)
Picture Stats:
Views: 2295
Filesize: 215.9kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: Hodgkinson at February 21, 2007, 04:23:05 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (6)

Hodgkinson
March 25, 2008, 10:20:19 AM
A much better photo can be found here. (2.97MB)
Homer
April 24, 2007, 08:56:12 PM
Didn't Dr.Who build one of those to defeat the Dalek invasion   :crazy:
Hodgkinson
March 12, 2007, 03:51:48 PM
...Re fire hazard posts...
Well,
A. I dont have a case for it, nor do I have the time to make one.
B. It looks better without a case (I think), and if a case was added the S-Meter and a few other components would need to be moved and re-sited.
C. Its under a shelf, so its difficult to spill anything into anyway.
D. Better convection airflow without a case
E. All the mains connections are nicely heat-shrink insulated and held in place, so theres little risk of anything major shorting out.

BTW, Sorry about the grainy picture.

Hodgkinson.
justthatgood
March 11, 2007, 12:08:58 PM
Ah that don't look like much of a fire hazard. I've seen some project that would scare the Holy Whatever out of even the most hardened pyro-loving geeks.
Starke
February 22, 2007, 12:49:59 AM
Damn, You must be very technical type of person, or a very patient person!

Nice work!

Let me borrow some of your brain cells, so I can do some surgery on my A1000, and get it running with a cpu chip!(smiles)

None the less, looks neat, with or without a case! 8-)  8-)
amigean
February 21, 2007, 09:09:19 PM
Looks like it was hard work - and a lot of fun - to build :hammer:

You may want to find a nice case for it - looks a bit like a fire hazard atm...