Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Homemade hardware 1
Homemade hardware 1
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: Left: Homemade video adapter with sync-reset button to aid some PC monitors with the non-standard scan rates. 23 Pin D from duff A4000 mobo ; 15 Pin D from duff PC graphics card.

Right: Homemade A1200 RTC with battery removed for storage. Chip, crystal, and capacitance trimmer from duff A4000 mobo ; special pitch socket from duff mac laptop SCSI miniature HDD connector.
Picture Stats:
Views: 2117
Filesize: 236.48kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: Hodgkinson at August 21, 2006, 03:17:46 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (5)

Hodgkinson
March 25, 2008, 10:19:10 AM
A much better photo can be found here. (2.40MB)
Hodgkinson
September 28, 2006, 05:04:11 PM
See above for the part sources. The PCB I designed using PCB wizard and made it myself using economy photo-etch board. Many people diddn't think that the board was up to the fine tracks that I needed!
PS. The RTC had to be built "the wrong way up" on the board in order to allow it to fit above the A1200 mobo (I can't turn the board over due to the connector).

PS. If anyone wants to build their own, let me know and I (might) be able to supply the PCB layout, although it might need some re-scaling.

Hodgkinson.
DrDekker
September 28, 2006, 12:47:30 PM
You've done a belting job on that RTC - did you make the pcb yourself, or did you send your design away to one of the pcb manufacturing companies?

Derek
Hodgkinson
September 02, 2006, 12:07:19 PM
Guess so. Well, if all the "silver box" did was to wire some of the Amiga video lines to the VGA 15 pin connector, without any chips or scandoublers in between, etc, then yes, I guess this could indeed be called a homemade "silver box". However, its also got that extra microswitch on it so whenever a monitor doesn't correctly lock to the sync pulses from the amiga, it stops the sync pulses from getting to the monitor whilst it is pressed, so when it is released the monitor can "re-sync" and hopefully stop scrolling and flashing all over the place (So turning the monitor / amiga off and on again isn't necessary).
snowman040
August 22, 2006, 12:11:15 AM
great job! :-)

so first one is a homemade 'silver box' ?