Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing ACA 1221 Low Cost Accelerator At AmigaKit.com  (Read 5217 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;792882
Dunno. Funny that, all the A500's I've owned going back to the early '90s have always been Rev6. I've never even seen a Rev5 board. Luck of the draw, I suppose! ;)

I bought my revision 5 in 1989 as part of the bat pack in the uk. It's not exactly luck of the draw, you were late to the party.

In 1987 you'd probably get a revision 3, in 1988-1989 you'd get a revision 5 and in 1990 you'd get a revision 6.

In 1991-1992 there were supposedly some a500 sold with revision 8 motherboards that had kickstart 1.3, only 512kb of ram and no clock. I don't think any of these turned up in the uk as they had already launched the a500+ early due to lack of stock at Christmas. The final batch of a500's was on a ship and wasn't due to arrive until January and they sent a batch of a500+ by air.

The backlash against the a500+ in the uk was probably why they decided to sell a500's with the new boards instead.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:45:05 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

Re: Introducing ACA 1221 Low Cost Accelerator At AmigaKit.com
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
Quote from: mingle;792942
A bit like buying a family car and having the rear doors and seats inaccessible unless you fork out extra for a special key...

There are plenty of features on cars that are unlocked in this way already. You just aren't appalled by it because you didn't realise. Someone I worked with specifically did unlock some feature by buying a different central locking key, but some are unlocked by hooking the car up to a computer. You can pay for some cars to have higher performance and it is just a case of uploading a different map to the onboard computer.

When you buy something you aren't buying the raw materials, you are buying what they create. If two things can be made with the same raw materials but one is better than another then of course one will be more expensive than the other. This is especially true in the art world, see how far it gets you arguing that you should be able to buy a Picasso for the same price as a painting you did yourself. Even if you use the same raw materials then something is different, even if you paint the exact same image.

Most people will not like this because they think they should get everything at the cheapest possible price, even less than it costs to manufacture. The alternatives are:

1. He just sells the most expensive one at the most expensive price
2. He makes two physically different cards, both more expensive because there is less economy of scale.

I'm not sure how either option is better.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:34:39 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

Re: Introducing ACA 1221 Low Cost Accelerator At AmigaKit.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;792988
122€ for a 020 card is not cheap imho.

This new "business model" is not good for the final user... lets see with the new a1200 mobos.

You're complaining about the prices, not the business model.

If Jens listened to you and ditched the business model and charged 122 euros to everyone for a fully unlocked card then how does that help?

Anyone expecting him to ditch the business model and sell the cards at the base price with everything unlocked is deluded.