Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kickstarter launched to celebrate the Amiga 30th Anniversary in California  (Read 6111 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
I am interested in going to the event, but I have no interest in backing the Kickstarter campaign.  Nothing personal, I just have a bad taste for Kickstarter as a whole lately.  I'm a man who likes to have cash in hand, you take my cash, give me the product I paid for back, and we're both good to go.  If you could direct me to where I can buy a ticket for the full show, please do let me know.

Is there somewhere I can simply purchase tickets to the event, exhibit hall, and the banquet and everything else?  The below indicates to me that this is a booked show, a done deal long before a crowdfunding program got together, so I'm a bit curious about it all.  If the date has been set, guests booked, event booked, caterers hired - I'd just prefer to pay whatever ahead of time "full ticket" cost that I can vs. spending "good guy" money to Kickstarter and paying into something that's seemingly already a set in stone, scheduled and assumedly a funded and backed event.  I see no mention of "if goals are not met, event will not happen", so I assume it's a set in stone event regardless of Kickstarter outcome.  Please just tell me where I can purchase a ticket and I'll be the first guy waiting to get in with my ticket in hand when the doors open.  Easy peasy request, IMO.  No offense intended - I simply have had too many bad interactions with Kickstarter lately.  I am appreciative that a Kickstarter campaign lets the event hit a wider scope, but the wider scope is of no concern to some people, including me.  Much like going to a rock concert, a stage performance, etc. - some people like myself just want to buy a ticket and attend without muss or fuss.

I'll say it outright.  I've seen too many already planned, booked events/products, backed and banked - hit Kickstarter long after deposits have been paid to the venue, caterers, (manufacturers, et al. in the case of product) etc.  The events or products were going to happen, but Kickstarter campaigns get started *after* the fact, and I'll be quite frank here because I won't get screwed over on such things again (and I have been screwed over in the past).  I apologize if I am at all insinuating anything shady towards you all, but I am sure I am not alone in the ideal that some people just "want to buy a ticket and attend" without dealing with Kickstarter itself, which many people are finding more objectionable by the day.

I'll gladly pay for an event, paid in full up front, cash money, I pay you, you mail me the tickets type of deal - but I won't pay for a more expensive brand of Scotch (or other more dubious party favors) for event organizers if dates have been set via "Crowdfunding".  I don't want a "shout out", a poster or T Shirt, a kiss on the cheek or handshake with a hug from Someone Of Some High Esteem.  In fact, I don't want any of the Kickstart offered perks, lol.  I just want a ticket to the event, the entire event.  Me have money, you have ticket deal.  A "me give money for ticket, you give ticket.  Me come, all Cavemen have a good time" type of deal.

Let me know where I can purchase a ticket and I'll be there with bells on - I've always wanted to meet the original Amiga crew.  I had the good fortune in my youth to speak to Jay a number of times, but never had the good fortune to meet any of the rest of the old crew.  It looks to be a tremendously fun event and I hope to attend.  The fact that I can't find a one click ticket outlet is my sole reservation on this - I won't deal with Kickstarter even if I got a ticket to the event at the $10 contribution rate.

The only "tickets" I can find on http://amiga30.com/ point me directly to the Kickstarter ordeal, and as I've said, I just want to buy a ticket without dealing with Kickstarter again.  My cash is in hand to hand you for a ticket, my other hand on my cell phone to call my travel agent to book my 2200 km long flight from Canada to California, simply put.

"Join us on Saturday, July 25th, in a celebration of the amazing Amiga.  Our party will feature an evening of epic Amiga Fun.  The event will be a banquet with feature speakers, panel discussion, historical artifact displays, and more."

That to me indicates that the down payments for venue, catering, and all other horribly expensive things have been nailed down.  So just help a brother out, where can I buy a ticket outright besides Kickstarter?

The wedding date is set, as is the venue, so to speak - why is a Kickstarter being started and where are those funds going, why "stretch goals"?  

And again - where can I simply buy an all inclusive to all events (minus lodging) ticket to the entire scope of events, bought and paid for - *without* dealing with Kickstarter in the least?.  Yes, I do find them _that_ objectionable to the point I wouldn't attend a hell of a good event if the only way I can get a ticket is via Kickstarter.  Honest to God.

Also, anyone in the community have some recommendations for lodging in the nearby vicinity for us long distance travelers?  It's been a number of years since I've stayed in the Mountain View area.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:56:09 PM by Duce »

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
Glad you met the mark - now where can a guy with money in hand buy a ticket?

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
Quote from: amigadave;787884
To get a ticket, just choose one of the Kickstarter levels that includes a ticket as the reward and donate to the Kickstarter project.  Simple.

Guess I won't bother if tickets cannot be bought outright.  Real shame, looks to be a good event.

There's plenty of people that dislike Kickstarter for a number of valid reasons, and I'm one of them.  I couldn't care less about stretch goals, t-shirts, stickers, shout outs, funny hats, secret handshakes or any other Kickstarter gibberish.  I have no need for t shirts or stickers, they would literally end up in the trashbin.

I just want to buy a ticket, lol.  I don't understand why things must be so complex.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:48:30 AM by Duce »