Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How much would it cost to port AmigaOS to x64?  (Read 10162 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
Re: How much would it cost to port AmigaOS to x64?
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:35:15 AM »
If you set a reference hardware platform specification, it shouldn't cost more than a few million.

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;686322
Will Amiga Inc or Hyperion allow you to?

Given the fantasy of having won the $640 Million Megaball Lottery, if you can't buy Hyperion and/or Amiga,Inc. something weird is going on? That should solve any legal issues for the port.

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:21:57 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;686909
I haven't heard anything about the PS4 including a PPC chip, and given that there's explicitly no backwards compatibility, there's no reason for it to include one.

I recently read an article that said it was going to be an all AMD kit. Though any info at this point is not much more than rumor.

dreamcast270mhz, et. All,
   Most people don't need anything more than a computer that can run a web browser. Then next largest computer user group needs a web browser, office software, and streaming ability. Those two groups should cover 85-90% of computer users.
Any major OS can do this, making basically all the same. So why use anything other than Windows. Apple's marketing can't be so good that it garners 15% of the market just on that. Linux isn't for those kind of people. Unless you want to include Android. Then we should include BSD as Mac OS is certified as a BSD.  
Yeah, Amiga OS need some work. Lots of it just to get to that very basic user level. I just don't see it as filling that market. I see it as an some what specialty OS existing somewhere between Mac OS and Linux. Well, it should.
As to the desire for custom chips, we have them already. It that emergence of them on other platforms that helped kill the Amiga marketshare. Sound cards, Graphic Cards, various I/O bus cards. They have just been badly utilized on other platforms for well over a decade. We are just seeing now in the last few years GUIs using the graphics card. Which for the longest time was regulated to games or video decoding. An Amiga OS should, as it always has, utilized these kind of system resources at the system level and not as an addon for specialty uses.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:42:18 AM by Argo »