Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: MorphOS workstations for sale!  (Read 3403 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bbond007

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
Quote from: tone007;690173
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=M9687LLB-PB-2R

Not sure if this is a super deal or not and they're "almost gone," but seemed like it might be a good place to go besides eBay.

Looks like a good deal to me, at least with compgeeks you'll get something that's reasonably newish. With the way MorphOS is married to the hardware, you may as well get the best you can get the first time.

If you think it is overpriced I have a 1.42 which I paid $650 then later upgraded the BT/WIFI and RAM making the grand total probably closer to $900 :)  Also mine is one of the early ones that had very poor quality on the VGA output. (silent downgrade)

So go ahead and click "buy" and rest assured that you are getting a great deal compared to me...

I was given a Powerbook5,8 15" with 2GB RAM and 128MB VRAM.

I fell a little better now...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:59:26 PM by bbond007 »
 

Offline tone007

  • sad moaning faced git
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 3238
  • Total likes: 1
Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:11 AM »
I was tempted, but I already have an MDD PowerMac and an Efika if I feel like running MorphOS.  I did enjoy the 1.25GHz MacMini I had a few years ago, though, very nice size.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
 

Offline AmigaClassicRule

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
@bbond007
 
What do you mean it is married to the hardware? Do you mean it is like the classic Amiga OS where it is hardware depending (MorphOS) and does that mean i can develop hardware banging software like classic Amiga making on MorphOS and that these games or software can run only on MacMini? Is MoprhOS and it's hardware the same story as Amiga classic?
 

Offline tone007

  • sad moaning faced git
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 3238
  • Total likes: 1
Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
Pretty sure what he means is the MorphOS license is linked directly to your particular machine, and is not transferrable to a different machine.  Good way to prevent piracy, but definitely deters some purchasers.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
 

Offline AmigaClassicRule

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
Quote from: tone007;690386
Pretty sure what he means is the MorphOS license is linked directly to your particular machine, and is not transferrable to a different machine. Good way to prevent piracy, but definitely deters some purchasers.

OH! I LOVE THE MORPHOS licensing method BIG time!! It is in no way deters me from purchasing it...no way sir! I think it is genius and makes me feel a complete owner of the OS.
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;690388
OH! I LOVE THE MORPHOS licensing method BIG time!! It is in no way deters me from purchasing it...no way sir! I think it is genius and makes me feel a complete owner of the OS.

Until you want to swap machines...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline Iggy

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:07 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;690391
Until you want to swap machines...

Uh, yeah, Kesa. I think he was being sarcastic.

And no, you don't bang hardware anymore (on any modern computer).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;690393
Uh, yeah, Kesa. I think he was being sarcastic.

And no, you don't bang hardware anymore (on any modern computer).

I am not convinced that was sarcasm. It might be though - me brain is a little distracted right now.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline AmigaClassicRule

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;690394
I am not convinced that was sarcasm. It might be though - me brain is a little distracted right now.

I agree with Kesa, I was not sarcastic at all! Since I got the Mini Mac instead of the tower case Apple G4, I will make and stamp it officially and seal the registration of MorphOS into the Mini mac G4 and consider this the official 100% only hardware ever I will get for MorphOS.

When the Mac Mini dies out completely..then I will consider getting the tower G4 Apple Mac...or better yet, the laptop version instead.


But I am not being sarcastic.
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
So it seems me brain IS working properly at this time. Interesting.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline bbond007

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;690383
@bbond007
 
What do you mean it is married to the hardware? Do you mean it is like the classic Amiga OS where it is hardware depending (MorphOS) and does that mean i can develop hardware banging software like classic Amiga making on MorphOS and that these games or software can run only on MacMini? Is MoprhOS and it's hardware the same story as Amiga classic?


I just mean that once you buy MorphOS, your keyfile is bound to that device, so its probably worth just getting best you can get initially because its a hassle to upgrade. Please don't go off saying I'm criticizing the MorphOS license, which I'm not.

In my case, I'm stuck with the 1.42 with the crappy quality VGA and the 32MB VRAM. If i wanted to buy this new one from compgeeks, i'd have to sell the old G4 with license and then purchase a new license.
 

Offline pVC

Re: MorphOS workstations for sale!
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;690424
In my case, I'm stuck with the 1.42 with the crappy quality VGA and the 32MB VRAM. If i wanted to buy this new one from compgeeks, i'd have to sell the old G4 with license and then purchase a new license.


Or just keep them both and enjoy :) Minis won't take too much space... and you can have other to take with to trips without worrying about better one breaking... and you can play multiplayer games with two machines... and have other as backup system which you can sync all the time... and keeping other in living room as media center and other on desk etc etc ;)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.