Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has a new trick Video, don't miss it :-)  (Read 6981 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show all replies
Re: Aros has a new trick Video, don't miss it :-)
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »
Quote from: Franko;591311
Thanks for the kind offer, but I've never owned a PC (and after much debate recently I'm even more convinced I never will...), I was under the impression that Aros was a bit like Classic OS4.0 (only better) and could be run on Classic Amiga hardware. Looks like I'll have to do a bit more reading up about just what Aros is. :)

I think I've seen somewhere that you use a Mac for the internet? If it's an Intel based Mac with OS X, you can test AROS on it either in VirtualBox or using the new Darwin "hosted" version (runs AROS as an application under OS X but this version is very new and so likely to not be as polished).

There's also a Classic Amiga version in the works, but it's far from ready (it just got to the point where it runs the boot shell a few days ago, but it's improving *very* rapidly - it's just a few weeks since it was totally non-functional).

Offline vidarh

• Show all replies
Re: Aros has a new trick Video, don't miss it :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:38:50 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;591392
Will the performance of AROS 68k be anything more than a curiosity?  How many of AROS advanced features will be carried over to the 68k version I wonder?

Depends on whether many classic developers care about it once it's working, I guess. Or how many of the other AROS devs that will care about optimizing things. I know there are enhancements to the console handler and device I can do to speed things up on classic very easily, for example. A large part of it will depend on how many people actually show any interest in running AROS on classics (or in UAE) - it's always more motivating to work on these things once people are actually using them :)