Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has a new trick Video, don't miss it :-)  (Read 6986 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Aros has a new trick Video, don't miss it :-)
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »
Interesting, Im not big or very knowledgeable on Aros, but I assume from the video it means that screen dragging has only just been achieved on Aros ?

If so then what else does Aros currently lack at the moment and when is it likely to become a fully functioning OS... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
Quote from: clusteruk;591299
Aros has most functionality needed now, when ICAROS 1.2.5 is ready, download it and try it, there is no charge except for the hardware. If you send me a 4gb memory stick I can set it up for you and post back to try on any pc.

Steve

Thanks for the kind offer, but I've never owned a PC (and after much debate recently I'm even more convinced I never will...), I was under the impression that Aros was a bit like Classic OS4.0 (only better) and could be run on Classic Amiga hardware. Looks like I'll have to do a bit more reading up about just what Aros is. :)

Thanks anyway... :)

Franko

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;591313
A side note, I don't even know... Does OS4 do screen dragging?
I think MorphOS does already, dosn't it?

Steven

It does but OS4.0 even on a Blizzard060/PPC @ 60/240Mhz is like running an Amiga with only chipram... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:24:29 AM »
@ Bloodline
I use an old iMacG4 PPC 800Hhz with OS X 10.4.11, it's good for browsing the net (except for videos, which are more like slide shows on it).
It would be nice though if Aros does become available as an alternative OS for the classic side of things as I would definitely like to give it a try... :)

@ Cammy
I know my Mac's a PC but from what I believe it's too old, slow & incompatible to run Aros on, as much as I dislike Windows I can't say OS X on a mac is that much better now I've experienced it... :)

@ Karlos
Sorry but with OS4.0 on my main Amiga I'll have to disagree with you big time on this one. Although I've set up a whole 250Gb partition and can easily boot straight into it, on my Amiga it's just way too slow to be usable for me. I only use it on an 640 x 512, 32 Colour screen, you can't really go down to 640 x 256  on it as most of the progs written for it tend to have been written for larger screen sizes than this.

The only thing I use it for these days is to create ISO file's for CD's & DVDs using the excellent AmiDVD, but that only because I still haven't got round to finishing my own ISO creating software yet, I only ever use my own DVD burning software on the 68K side cos it burns faster than AmiDVD does on the OS 4 PPC side (and it also burns faster than my iMac, strangely enough)

I'll need to make a video of it to show you what I mean when I say it's too slow, I've done my best to tweak it but nothing I've done seems to speed it up at all, plus it's a bit flakey with my FastATA MKIII controller not to mention the amount of errors I get trying to run older software on it.

You can call it BS or whatever you like and claim I'm jumping on the OS4.0 is shite bandwagon, but I can only give you my opinions based on my own personal experience.

I run OS 3.5 on a 128 colour screen on the 68k side and it runs rings around my OS4.0 set up but whatever the reason for mines being so slow it doesn't really matter as I can do all I wan't with an Amiga quite happily from the 68K side under OS3.x, reckon we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Karlos... :)

I ain't putting OS4.0 down in fact I've said in a thread elsewhere on here that I'd like to buy OS4.1 Classic when it comes out to see if thats any better. As for Aros I congratulate and applaud all the folk who have and are developing it and wish them well, but I think you'll have gathered by now that I'm a bit of an old dinosaur and stuck in my ways when it comes to computing, it's just simply a matter of my own personal taste and the fact that for the most part I'm perfectly happy with what I can achieve on my Amiga... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »
@ Cammy
Seems like a pretty neat & cool set up to me, I don't think they'd allow me to lug all my Amiga stuff onto a plane and if they did it would probably cost a fortune for a ticket... :lol:
but I'll never know, cos I'm not allowed to fly (or go deep sea diving) in case my head explodes... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 04:03:33 AM »
@ HenryCase

Just checked out the site you gave, doesn't look like it will run on this old iMac according to the GFX cards needed/supported... :(