Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)  (Read 4218 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:44:33 AM »
It's official, Boot Camp from Apple allows XP on Mac computers with Intel inside.  I'm going to buy a new MacBook as soon as the new Leopard OS10.5 is available with Boot Camp included.

I love my Amigas, but nothing can beat a Mac laptop for Internet browsing and Email safely, wirelessly, or otherwise.  

I also need CAD and my program of choice (not AutoCAD, too much $$$) only runs on Windows.  Also, my AmigaForever 2005 runs faster and easier on Windows than it ever will on top of Mac OSX.

So, this is great news for me.  All operating systems on one machine with good, or maybe great design and performance.  Makes me think of the old days running my Amiga with a bridgeboard 486sx and Shapeshifter, having all three OSes on one machine, but this is the latest, greatest versions of each (until Vista comes out and won't run on the Mac).

Mac OS 10.5 for all my Internet and Email needs safely.
Windows for a few programs that are not available on OS10.5.
Windows for AmigaForever and WinUAE/Amikit.
Linux on Intel just because I can.

Finish Leopard (10.5) and tell me how much for that MacBook in the window (pun intended).

How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »

uncharted wrote:
HEATHEN!

Just kidding ;-)

Use what you need.  Although it looks like you might not need it by the time Leopard hits, there are various efforts to bring Windows emulation to OSX, including an Intel version of Microsoft's own VirtualPC rumoured to be in the works.

Running Virtual PC (which I have on my G4 PowerBook) instead of natively running Windows would not make sense.  The only advantage would be that you don't have to reboot, but I think the performance hit of running Virtual PC and the extra cost of buying both it and the Windows OS doesn't make sense to me.

Since I would be using the MacOS most of the time and only booting into Windows when I wanted to emulate the Amiga or do my drafting, the dual boot is not a problem for me.

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »

KThunder wrote:
i have quite a few posts were i just say
[color=ff0000]AROS[/color][/b][/i]
there i did again
aros is a platform independamt rewrite of amiga os3.1 which currently has a port to native x86 and hosted port on linux

But what software runs on AROS?  Is there a list somewhere that will show me what works and what does not?  I always hear about which new programs are now available for MorphOS and AOS4.0, but never AROS.

Educate me please.