Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)  (Read 4138 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:44:33 AM »
It's official, Boot Camp from Apple allows XP on Mac computers with Intel inside.  I'm going to buy a new MacBook as soon as the new Leopard OS10.5 is available with Boot Camp included.

I love my Amigas, but nothing can beat a Mac laptop for Internet browsing and Email safely, wirelessly, or otherwise.  

I also need CAD and my program of choice (not AutoCAD, too much $$$) only runs on Windows.  Also, my AmigaForever 2005 runs faster and easier on Windows than it ever will on top of Mac OSX.

So, this is great news for me.  All operating systems on one machine with good, or maybe great design and performance.  Makes me think of the old days running my Amiga with a bridgeboard 486sx and Shapeshifter, having all three OSes on one machine, but this is the latest, greatest versions of each (until Vista comes out and won't run on the Mac).

Mac OS 10.5 for all my Internet and Email needs safely.
Windows for a few programs that are not available on OS10.5.
Windows for AmigaForever and WinUAE/Amikit.
Linux on Intel just because I can.

Finish Leopard (10.5) and tell me how much for that MacBook in the window (pun intended).

How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: Blasphemy (I know, I know ...... but ?????)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:09:44 AM »
HEATHEN!

Just kidding ;-)

Use what you need.  Although it looks like you might not need it by the time Leopard hits, there are various efforts to bring Windows emulation to OSX, including an Intel version of Microsoft's own VirtualPC rumoured to be in the works.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »
Check this out...

"This report claims that around the time of OS X 10.5 Leopard's release, Apple will also make available a set of APIs to allow Windows to run Mac Universal Binary applications. This rumor was mentioned elsewhere several months ago, but wasn't linked so directly with the next version of OS X."

http://www.macosrumors.com/20060402A.php
this space for rent

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:31:48 AM »
MacOSRumours is well known for being, well, made up crap.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »

uncharted wrote:
HEATHEN!

Just kidding ;-)

Use what you need.  Although it looks like you might not need it by the time Leopard hits, there are various efforts to bring Windows emulation to OSX, including an Intel version of Microsoft's own VirtualPC rumoured to be in the works.

Running Virtual PC (which I have on my G4 PowerBook) instead of natively running Windows would not make sense.  The only advantage would be that you don't have to reboot, but I think the performance hit of running Virtual PC and the extra cost of buying both it and the Windows OS doesn't make sense to me.

Since I would be using the MacOS most of the time and only booting into Windows when I wanted to emulate the Amiga or do my drafting, the dual boot is not a problem for me.

Offline melgross

• Show only replies by melgross
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:57:07 PM »
Everyone should know it by now, that a company named Parallels has released a beta of a $49 program that does just that, using Intel's virtualization techniques built into the new Core chips.

The beta is free. Here:

http://www.parallels.com/

Here's a video that someone made using it.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9170/

uncharted wrote:
HEATHEN!

Just kidding ;-)

Use what you need.  Although it looks like you might not need it by the time Leopard hits, there are various efforts to bring Windows emulation to OSX, including an Intel version of Microsoft's own VirtualPC rumoured to be in the works.[/quote]

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
I think a good WINE implementation would be much better.  Rebooting into a second OS is always a pain (less so with a VMM though).
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »

T_Bone wrote:
Check this out...

"This report claims that around the time of OS X 10.5 Leopard's release, Apple will also make available a set of APIs to allow Windows to run Mac Universal Binary applications. This rumor was mentioned elsewhere several months ago, but wasn't linked so directly with the next version of OS X."

http://www.macosrumors.com/20060402A.php

uncharted:
MacOSRumours is well known for being, well, made up crap.

Perhaps it´s not true but it´s only a matter of time that something like this appear.

I thinked and continues thinking that the apple switch to intel is a dead end.Yes maybe initially their sales will increase (it´s the the improvement of the death) but after this initial boosts it will be sunk
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline melgross

• Show only replies by melgross
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 06:28:08 PM »
That's not even in the slightest bit right. I'm getting a lot of interest from people who have been interested in switching, over the years,  who are ready to take the plunge.

These will be the only machines able to run all operating systems at full, or near to full, speed.

Now, if the moron's who are crapping their way through finishing some form, any form, of Amiga OS, would get off the pot, and move it to x86, it would run there, on the Mac,  far better than on any piece of junk that MIGHT ever see the light of day as Amiga native hardware.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 08:46:19 PM »
i have quite a few posts were i just say
[color=ff0000]AROS[/color][/b][/i]
there i did again
aros is a platform independamt rewrite of amiga os3.1 which currently has a port to native x86 and hosted port on linux
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Fransexy_

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »

melgross wrote:
That's not even in the slightest bit right. I'm getting a lot of interest from people who have been interested in switching, over the years,  who are ready to take the plunge.

These will be the only machines able to run all operating systems at full, or near to full, speed.

Now, if the moron's who are crapping their way through finishing some form, any form, of Amiga OS, would get off the pot, and move it to x86, it would run there, on the Mac,  far better than on any piece of junk that MIGHT ever see the light of day as Amiga native hardware.

Apple a more big an active company has taken year of development of their OS for x86 in the background (or do you think that apple magically decided the stwitch an in a night made the port?) And even more OSX is based on BSD kernel that has an X86 port for much more years.An in these years a lot of apllications has been made for osx.
And do you want that amigaos will be ported to x86 in a night day from a small company with a small userbase and a small software library??? you are a crazy man, baby

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »

KThunder wrote:
there i did again
aros is a platform independamt rewrite of amiga os3.1 which currently has a port to native x86 and hosted port on linux

But what software runs on AROS?  Is there a list somewhere that will show me what works and what does not?  I always hear about which new programs are now available for MorphOS and AOS4.0, but never AROS.

Educate me please.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 02:49:51 PM »
I have found, as of late, that I have had a need for a laptop on at least three seperate occassions.  While it'd probably be much cheaper to simply purchase a PC laptop, I believe I'd rather buy a duo core mac laptop.  

Why?  Because I've "been there, done that to death" with Windows and while I'm extraordinarily comfortable with XP,I want to try something new.  

I have always thought that would be AmigaOS4, but the simple fact is, even if it were available (and hardware weren't an issue), I'd have little if any interest in paying that extra money for a slower PPC solution versus the x86 dual core.

I do NOT say that intending to insult anyone.  I know that TPTB tried to get the AmigaOne and OS4 out there to the best of their abilities, but things don't happen as planned very often..

In any event, the fact that the 10.5 will be able to dual boot Windows offers me the best of both worlds, and I'll be more than happy to pay for that option.  Who knows, maybe I'll even triple-boot Linux on it.  :)

Wayne

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »
I have always thought that would be AmigaOS4, but the simple fact is, even if it were available (and hardware weren't an issue), I'd have little if any interest in paying that extra money for a slower PPC solution versus the x86 dual core.

This is just simple reality, unfortunately. The price / performance gap used to be a big problem. Now it is an unsurmountable problem. Nowadays the best effort by ANY PPC system has to be considered retro, including Pegasos II.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Fransexy_

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »

amigadave wrote:

KThunder wrote:
there i did again

But what software runs on AROS?  Is there a list somewhere that will show me what works and what does not?  I always hear about which new programs are now available for MorphOS and AOS4.0, but never AROS.

Educate me please.

There is Hollywood (the first commercial app for AROS)
there is amIRCos an irc client
There is Mosaic a very primitive web browers
There is lunapain a deluxe paint clone
There are a lot of more
you can take a look at AROS archives