Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An Inconvienient Truth, - Global Warming  (Read 6074 times)

Description:

Offline nadoomTopic starter

An Inconvienient Truth, - Global Warming
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:23:02 AM »
For god sake doo something, or we are all going down the {bleep}ter.

on watching that film i must say i am quite disturbed by it, we really are on the road to hell at the moment. Do you think we can turn it around? Do we still have time? what about the legacy we are leaving for our children!

?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
Re: An Inconvienient Truth, - Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »
Do your bit. and then at least, it wont be your fault!
actually, you can make a (slight) difference. but it helps if your local authority does decent recycle collections, and someone strangles Bush, and the Dodge design team (I saw one of those big b4st4rd 4x4s they do - I swear it had its own oil refinery on the back...)
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:09:44 PM »
I dont think i will to worried about who is to blame when im starving to death in the frozen wastelands of what used to be called the uk :)

i was considering buying a 4x4, after watching that i dont think i could bring my self to do that.

I think it is a duty for individuals to make an effort, but the airlines and companies produce a massive amount of pollution on their own, so everyone needs to make an effort.

I hope george bush lives till he is 200 so he can see what he has done to the world :-/

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »
Cue the inevitable claim/counterclaim "discussion"...

The problem with global warming is that the issue has become totally politicised in the worst possible way so that clarity has become near impossible.

Some will have you believe it's an entirely natural phenomenon, others will have you believe it's entirely caused by human activities.

The truth of the matter is that nobody is sure what the current trend really indicates. That said, it's my opinion that given there is evidence to suggest we are aggrivating the problem we should do what we can to minimize that effect and see how it pans out. It's the logical course to take. Unfortunately, governments rarely, if ever, consider anything beyond their term in power. Given we could be looking at massive problems in say 50 years time and not tomorrow, no existing government really cares.
int p; // A

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 01:19:36 PM »
The best remedy is to stop breeding like rabbits. That will solve the problem in a natural way in less than 50 years. Unfortunately, cutting down on having children is considered a big taboo.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »
The truth of the matter is that nobody is sure what the current trend really indicates.

Quite true. If anything, it has shown that non-linear dynamics are complex beasts.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:16:44 PM »
@Karlos, everyone

Please try and view An Inconvienient Truth, some of the data presented is truely quite shocking.

The Link between CO2 and Temperature has been already established in the top graph

the bottom graph shows the CO2 present in the antartic ice, going back some 600,000 years. It never went above a certain level.

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:05:33 PM »

Cymric wrote:
The best remedy is to stop breeding like rabbits. That will solve the problem in a natural way in less than 50 years. Unfortunately, cutting down on having children is considered a big taboo.

First of all we are not breeding like Rabbits, in fact many European countries have dangerously large negative population growth.  In addition, with the current AIDs epidemic, there is going to alot of places with no people in Africa, India and China in the next 30 years as I see no effort in India and China to solve the problem and in Africa the epidemic at least in some areas may have already reached the point at where it can't be stopped.
     -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:06:42 PM »
Nadoom,

If you would quote from data not from the IPCC it would be much easier to take it seriously.
    -Tig

Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:50:30 PM »

Karlos wrote:
The truth of the matter is that nobody is sure what the current trend really indicates. That said, it's my opinion that given there is evidence to suggest we are aggrivating the problem we should do what we can to minimize that effect and see how it pans out. It's the logical course to take. Unfortunately, governments rarely, if ever, consider anything beyond their term in power. Given we could be looking at massive problems in say 50 years time and not tomorrow, no existing government really cares.

Here are my thoughts on "what we can do to minimize that effect":

Back in 1971 (when I was 14) our teacher performed an experiment that produced detonating gas by the electrolysis of water in a chemistry lesson. Finally he ignited the gas in the test tube and it blew the test tube into pieces with a loud bang.

Our teacher then said that the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen is much more fierce, produces much more energie than the reaction of e.g. petrol and air and produces zero air pollution, as the result of this reaction is steam.

At the very same moment my finger went up and I asked my teacher:
"So why do all the cars still use petrol or diesel instead of hydrogen and oxygen?"

His answer was:
"If this was possible they would have done so long before!"

Later - in the course of my training as a machinist at KHD (Magirus Deutz) - I asked the same question to my foreman at KHD's engine research centre.

He answered basically the same as my teacher before, but he became more precise:
"If hydrogen and oxygen react, it results in a very high firing temperature, which would make the intake- and exhaust-valves melt."

These answers did not satify me and so I decided to make an experiment on my own.

My hobby was flying RC model aircrafts at that time and from that I had a spare 0.33 cm^3 petrol model engine.
With my limited resources I "electrolysed" me some cm^3 of detonating gas (took me two weeks with a 12V transformer and an old aquarium), slightly modified the model engine by taking off its tank and carburetteur and supplying the detonating gas instead of petrol.

Then I started the engine and - woooohooo! - it ran!
It ran for about 30 seconds until all the detonating gas was consumed.

Later I re-mounted tank and carburetteur and it ran flawlessly with petrol again.

So I had my proof that it worked.

Some years later - while studiyng engineering - I learned about constructive measures to avoid the melting of metal at such temperatures. After all the engines of the Space Shuttle (which burn hydrogen and oxygen as well) don't melt either...

But from my own experiment I knew how time-consuming the production of hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis of water would be - and so started to look for a more efficient way to do this. After some years of research I had an idea how I could produce H & O much faster and at an lower energie footprint - I still have to prove with an experiment that it works.

But nevertheless electricity is still reqired for this process. And if we're talking about operating all combustion engines worldwide with H&O, then we're talking about a fair amount of electricity that's needed for the H&O production.

Then a next idea began to shape out.
If I want to reduce the emissions of the cars to save the environment by using H&O, then we can't use "dirty" electricity for that.

I thought about the way it is now:
We drill holes into the earth and pump up what's left of the sunshine from some million years ago (oil, result from ancient forests) and burn this in order to be mobile, while at the same time the sun still sends us a comparable amount of energy like millions of years ago.

So today we end up with the energy of the daily sunshine PLUS the energy of the daily sunshine from some million years ago that made the ancient forests grow from which the oil stems we burn when we drive by car, sail by ship or fly by plane.

So I thought that if we today "dig out the sunshine of the past" and burn it to be mobile and want to change that to a "clean" mobility, we must reduce the daily sunshine that hits the ground here on this planet today by exactly *that* amount we are burning "sunshine of the past" to be mobile.

When thinking about possible solutions, a sunshade sprang to my mind.

What, if we built a huge solar cell platform in the orbit that works as an jalousie, collects the electricity of all solar cells, transfoms it to rays and sends it down to earth wireless?
(I recently read about an technique for wireless energy transmission and it works already on distances up to 30km - I'm confident that with goal-oriented research 300km and more are no problem at all)

If the orbit is calculated accordingly, so that this platform can throw a big enough shadow on desert areas, I would expect low (air) pressure in this areas as a consequence.

As normally rain comes with low pressure, such an desert area might start to grow green again, which would improve our air quality and climate significantly.

But I'm afraid such a project is far too big for one nation - and if I look at the current political conditions worldwide I have not much hope that this could be realized anytime soon.
(Sorry for my long posting)
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »
IIRC, there are combustion engines fueled by hydrogen.

The problem with a big solar shade is, that the World's weather system is extremely complicated, and placing a big umbrella above the Sahara desert would undoubtly affect the weather on a global scale. What we need is a safe, clean and unlimited power source. :-|
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 04:13:55 PM »
I'm building my own private fusionreactor as I speak!

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »

whabang wrote:

Yes, indeed.
I had the chance to drive one of Ford's prototypes with internal combustion engine fuelled with hydrogene at Ford's research centre in Aachen...

whabang wrote:

The problem with a big solar shade is, that the World's weather system is extremely complicated, and placing a big umbrella above the Sahara desert would undoubtly affect the weather on a global scale.

Is it really a problem, if it affects the wheather on a global scale for the better?
I mean - since the beginning of industrialisation mankind is affecting the climate on a global scale negatively - it's time for a turnaround!

whabang wrote:

What we need is a safe, clean and unlimited power source. :-|

Well, as I see it my concept offers clean and unlimited power source and even the possibility to improve our climate - it's up to mankind to do it and to make it safe.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 08:05:37 AM »

whabang wrote:

The problem with a big solar shade is, that the World's weather system is extremely complicated, and placing a big umbrella above the Sahara desert would undoubtly affect the weather on a global scale. What we need is a safe, clean and unlimited power source. :-|

How about completely covering the entire Sahara Desert (and anywhere else bloody hot like parts of Australia) with solar panels and hooking them up to the ¨international grid¨. ;-)
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »
Argumentum ad Nauseum.

Look at the sort of language being used here. Some people behave as though the appearance of the word 'truth' in a title equals the works being a fact.