Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great to see Motorola's back on track again!!!  (Read 5416 times)

Description:

Offline BlackMonk

• Show all replies
Re: Great to see Motorola's back on track again!!!
« on: February 13, 2003, 08:03:32 PM »
Ok, I don't want to rain on your parade, but do you have anything to back up Motorola's work on a mythical G5?

From all accounts the G5 project for desktop computing was cancelled due to disagreements between Motorola and Apple in regards to what CPU interface to use.  Apparently Motorola wanted to push RapidIO and Apple wanted them to use some "Apple Interface Bus" which is what the PPC970 is apparently using--apparently that part of the PPC970 was co-designed with Apple?  The information is REALLY sketchy about this stuff.

There is a "G5" for embedded applications but it's a low-MHz and low-power DSP/CPU.  I'm not sure if it has a 64-bit ISA, either.

It seems that Apple and desktop CPUs in general are a very small part of Motorola's income and thus are not very important.  The newer G4's I think you're talking about are due to be available in something like 4 to 6 months, from what I've read.

In that time the G4 will be even farther behind and the PPC970 will have been released.  I guess that's good news for AmigaOneXE users as they'll be able to upgrade to some nice CPUs, but overall this does not point to Motorola investing heavily on desktop CPU development nor does it show any commitment to developing and deliving a desktop G5.

Believe me, I'd love to see a G5 released soon.  Or ever.  But at this point all indications seem to say that the project's been cancelled--and cancelled for a while.