Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What "Quirks" and "Foybles" are normal with the Amiga?  (Read 1009 times)

Description:

Offline HodgkinsonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hodgkinson
    • http://www.myspace.com/em_radiation *****and ***** www.booni.info
What "Quirks" and "Foybles" are normal with the Amiga?
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
I’m at a bit of a loss at the moment.

In the same way that we all know that the Windows BSOD is a perfectly normal and healthy occurrence (:lol:), what I can expect from my miggy in the way of quirks?

For example, I have a *certain* game (A 3D shooter) in which lines or shapes which taper to a point sometimes suddenly overshoot their intersect point and flash across the screen for an instant. Should I consider this a quirk of the game?

The same game needs to be rebooted using a bootable RAD drive before the game can run due to RAM requirements, and occasionally after exiting the game, when the Amiga tries to reboot normally to WB I just get a bright red flashing screen (ROM Error) - Could this also be considered a quirk of the game, or could this indicate a larger problem? (PS. Currently WB3.0 on KS3.1 ROMS)
I've never had this happen with other programs, except in the case of major crashes.

Comments and experience appreciated!
Hodgkinson.  
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame:

Online davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
Re: What "Quirks" and "Foybles" are normal with the Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »
If you've got 3.1 Roms you should be running 3.1WB  :idea:

I don't think it's the answer to your problem - just logical  :lol:

Dave G  8-)

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
No VGA as standard unless you're using an A3000.

Pal-NTSC game incompatibilities.

InTeRlAcE + fLiCkErInG ScReEnS

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
@Hodgkinson

The drawing weirdness in the game is 99.999% likely to be a bug in the game.

Quirks on an Amiga that would be comparable to a BSOD (ie really bad system level problems)...

1. A single buggy program can cause the entire GUI to freeze, requiring you to reboot.
2. A type of bug that commonly occurs in programs written in C, can cause random crashes and data loss in other programs that are running at the time (ie the buggy program corrupts the other ones).  This can extend to corruption of data on the floppy and hard drives, because the floppy and HD routines in the OS are vulnerable to this too - the code may be in ROM, but the track buffers are in RAM.  C is the "official" high level programming language for Amiga development.  Oops.
3. You can't move windows so that they're partially offscreen.  OS4 finally fixed this, and I am forever grateful to whoever implemented that.
4. The Fast Filesystem isn't - use PFS or SFS instead.
5. Recoverable Alerts aren't - it's a single get out of jail free card.  Save any data immediately and reboot.

Offline HodgkinsonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hodgkinson
    • http://www.myspace.com/em_radiation *****and ***** www.booni.info
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
Ah, thanks for the comments.

Are there any major problem with regards to running 3.1 ROM's with WB3.0? From another thread, I gathered that there wouldn't be such problems, but I guess that if a game is using its own inbuilt OS system, then is there a possibility of this causing issues?
I plan to slowly over-write older system files with new ones from WB3.1 when I have a few spare weeks (So I don't have to re-install everything from scratch, hopefully)...

Hodgkinson.
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame: