Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: faster is better  (Read 980 times)

Description:

Offline Ilwrath

Re: faster is better
« on: December 22, 2002, 05:15:28 AM »
I'm sure this won't work, something to do with timing. I see Software Hut is selling 030 processors for about $60. I can't just plug one of these 50mhz chips into my A3000 and expect it to work, can I ???

No... that's not going to work very well.  As stated, a processor only runs at the speed (frequency) it's fed through the crystal (oscillator).  If you change the oscillator on your 3000, you'll put all the rest of the chipset out of whack.  However, the A3000 may have a half-refresh line which you could jumper to the '030.  (If not, you may be able to set up a 50mhz oscillator and attach something to step it down 1/2 to the bus to generate the 25mhz signal for that).  You may want to consult Aminet for the hacks on how to put a 14mhz 68010 in an A500.  Same principle at work here.  There may be additional problems you'd run into on the A3000, though.  I'm not an electrical engineer or really qualified to be handing out theoretical info on the workings of it, just to the best of my understanding of one simple electronics course, and some trial and error.

One word of warning - I don't remember hearing of anyone attempt this modification.  This may be because people smarter than me have found a more serious problem with my logic here.