Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How many Amiga users are left?  (Read 23319 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: How many Amiga users are left?
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »
So far no one has mentioned UAE which is what i use. Are you discriminating against UAE users here? :)

PS last night i banged my head on the wall and now i have a headache...  :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;639558
So far no one has mentioned UAE which is what i use. Are you discriminating against UAE users here? :)

That would be the "Amiga-Like" option, Kesa :lol:

Hope your head feels better!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
My A4000 is on every day, for games and OS fun.  Goal is to have it be a DOS/MAC/3.9/BSD machine, which would pretty much cover all the software I'd ever want to run on it :lol:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »

Lucky for you it was your head and not your big toe, otherwise you could have got brain damage (again)... :D

PS: Did you get all your exam results yet... :)

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;639556
Right. I was also thinking about people who treasure their old box, but wouldn´t dream about reading in a forum or getting updates/repairs. They won´t turn on the machine in any regular interval. However I think they do matter and belong to the community in a way.

Yes, I agree that there might be 70,000 people that have heard about the Amiga and remember it fondly (or otherwise), but I don't consider them as users anymore, and certainly not "Active" users.  I am curious to know how many "Active" and "Semi-Active" users (=Lurkers)  there are left.  Not just former Amiga owners/users.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Quote from: Franko;639565
Lucky for you it was your head and not your big toe, otherwise you could have got brain damage (again)... :D

PS: Did you get all your exam results yet... :)

I sit my exams in 2 weeks today. Hope i pass!:)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »

From the original post in this thread:

""Active Amiga-Like User" =  Someone who boots up one or more of any of  the following operating systems and use it for at least 15 to 30 minutes  once or twice each and every week.  AmigaOS1.x to 3.x, including  running it via emulation on non-Amiga hardware, AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS1.x,  or 2.x, any flavor of AROS."

Booting any version of AmigaOS on non-Amiga hardware would include using any version of UAE.

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »
I use WinUAE or my A1200 at least once or twice a week.  I lurk here...popping up every once in a while.

When it's not fun any more, maybe I'll stop, but it's not stopped being fun yet...and it's been 21 years so far.

...and counting...
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Rogee

• Show only replies by Rogee
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:51:56 AM »
First post here.  I am very much a lurker.

The funny thing though - I do not own an Amiga, and have actually never used an Amiga in my life.  I simply love computer history and appreciate how the Amiga advanced computing.

When I heard that Commodore USA was going to sell an "Amiga", I started visiting this site to get the reaction from you guys.  Since then I've found this board to be very informative and entertaining.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:07 AM »
Quote from: Rogee;639613

The funny thing though - I do not own an Amiga, and have actually never used an Amiga in my life.  I simply love computer history and appreciate how the Amiga advanced computing.

When I heard that Commodore USA was going to sell an "Amiga", I started visiting this site to get the reaction from you guys.  Since then I've found this board to be very informative and entertaining.

I agree that this site is entertaining with all the trolling that goes on but not sure about that other thing you said  ;)

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34:59 AM »
I'd be very surprised if there are more than 1000 active users worldwide.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
Quote from: Rogee;639613

Welcome Rogee!

Nice to see someone who does not normally post messages on the forum replying to this thread.  It is also interesting how you found out about the Amiga and ironic.  Makes me laugh even harder at all the fools that have put up such a stink about the new Commodore USA with hate mail and messages.  To have a potential new user come into the community because of the advertising done by Commodore USA is a good thing and many people will hate to admit that anything good could come from the company that they love to hate so much.

Welcome to Amiga.org and I hope that you will find the Amiga interesting enough to one day actually use one, or at least to run an Amiga emulation on whichever computer system you usually use the most.  Computer history is an interesting subject to many of us.  Using an Amiga becomes an addiction, so beware, once you start, you will never be able to stop (and it can get very expensive buying Amiga gear, if you decide to buy your own real Commodore Amiga hardware from the past, not the new Linux machines with only an Amiga badge on them from the new Commodore USA company).

Offline hoptoit

• Show only replies by hoptoit
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 07:06:14 AM »
You ask how many users are left?  Can I ask how many are coming?

Whenever I go home, my parents home that is, I would inevitably get the A500 up and running again.  But last time I went to boot and did the chip ram hack and bought some gear from Amikit and Amigamaniac in order to get it hooked up to a modern projector.  In the end, my brother adopted the machine and his kids are still using it for gaming.

So my Amiga interest goes as far as I can make it back home every so often.  Which is less and less often as one may imagine.  But it's good to think that our A500 is being used by the next generation a bit.  Who can say how far that will go?

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 07:07:19 AM »
I fire up my A500 or CD32 once in a while for some games, but other than that, I barely touch them any more.  I'm very interested in Amiga FPGA clones and Aros, and I'd like to get more involved at some point, but right now I'm just sitting back and watching things develop.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »
Quote from: hoptoit;639628
You ask how many users are left?  Can I ask how many are coming?

Whenever I go home, my parents home that is, I would inevitably get the A500 up and running again.  But last time I went to boot and did the chip ram hack and bought some gear from Amikit and Amigamaniac in order to get it hooked up to a modern projector.  In the end, my brother adopted the machine and his kids are still using it for gaming.

So my Amiga interest goes as far as I can make it back home every so often.  Which is less and less often as one may imagine.  But it's good to think that our A500 is being used by the next generation a bit.  Who can say how far that will go?

Always good to see new computer users being introduced to a Classic Amiga computer (instead of just buying them an X-Box360, Playstation, or Wii).

My grandson will be getting his own Amiga from my collection, as soon as he and his Dad move to a bigger place to live this Summer.  I always try to encourage Amiga users to get young people to use Amiga computers, and if possible, teach them how to program on them.  New users and programmers have to come from somewhere.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 23, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
I will probably become a regular user when I get an MCC-216 and/or Chameleon.
I hope to get Amiga Forever 2010/2011.
I keep daydreaming of turning the A3000 schematics into a board.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.