Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set the Amiga free... (kickstart)  (Read 18051 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Set the Amiga free... (kickstart)
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Quote from: dammy;616965
No, it hasn't been long years as far as copyrights are concerned: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html.

Stuff the copyright laws, it has been very, very long years if your an Amiga user..

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
Well Commodore USA will have to supply the Kickstart and C64 ROMs for their emulators for VICE and UAE so we will finally see who actually owns the Kickstart copyright once and for all.

Offline Franko

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;616968
Well Commodore USA will have to supply the Kickstart and C64 ROMs for their emulators for VICE and UAE so we will finally see who actually owns the Kickstart copyright once and for all.

Been wondering about that myself, wonder if they'll do what they did before changing the wording on their site and advise folk that they can find them freely on the internet or will they advise folk that they need to buy Cloantos Amiga Forever emulator in order to use their emulator... :)

Cos that only leaves them one option and that is to licence the roms from the copyright/IP holder, then as you say we will finally know... :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »
@Franko

Or they could just use AROS 68k... This is what it is meant for, anyway I doubt C=USA would have any difficulties getting a licence from cloanto if they so wanted.

I have to ask, what is you obsession with C=USA, if you want their stuff so bad just give them a call and get a prototype or something :-S

Offline number6

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
Quote from: Franko;616972
Been wondering about that myself, wonder if they'll do what they did before changing the wording on their site and advise folk that they can find them freely on the internet or will they advise folk that they need to buy Cloantos Amiga Forever emulator in order to use their emulator... :)

Cos that only leaves them one option and that is to licence the roms from the copyright/IP holder, then as you say we will finally know... :)

What prevents C=USA from buying them outright? Do you know for a fact that kickstart is -not- part of the IP that Pluritas is attempting to sell on behalf of AI?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
Yeah, I officially no longer give a crap who legally owns anything about the Amiga, since none of them seem very interested in making any of it easily available to the Amiga community. I say let's throw our support behind the open Kickstart effort, use our outdated OS of choice, and let these people rot.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 03:05:06 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;616985
Yeah, I officially no longer give a crap who legally owns anything about the Amiga, since none of them seem very interested in making any of it easily available to the Amiga community. I say let's throw our support behind the open Kickstart effort, use our outdated OS of choice, and let these people rot.
+1

Offline Franko

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;616974
@Franko

Or they could just use AROS 68k... This is what it is meant for, anyway I doubt C=USA would have any difficulties getting a licence from cloanto if they so wanted.

I have to ask, what is you obsession with C=USA, if you want their stuff so bad just give them a call and get a prototype or something :-S

You may ask and I shall gladly tell you... :)

It's not an "obsesion" as you call it I just hate to see the names Commodore, C64, Amiga & Workbench being used to sell an inferior product... :)

And why on earth would I want any of their stuff ???

@ Number6

Well as it's never been legally proven just who owns exactly what, then CUSA could attempt to purchase them outright but the legal arguments over just who owns what and who has the right to sell what would most likely result in even more years of court cases, and I don't see CUSA being around that long... :)

Plus as I've already said it's all the biggest load of BS in computing history and if you and all the others who are so fascinated as to all the legal ins and outs about who allegedly owns the stuff then why don't you hire some good lawyers and find out once and for all instead of just posting opinions on it... :)

I've already said I couldn't give a toss about who actually claims to own any of it, as they don't seem to be bothered about it themselves anymore... :)

Offline number6

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
Quote from: Franko;616990

@ Number6

Well as it's never been legally proven just who owns exactly what, then CUSA could attempt to purchase them outright but the legal arguments over just who owns what and who has the right to sell what would most likely result in even more years of court cases, and I don't see CUSA being around that long... :)

Plus as I've already said it's all the biggest load of BS in computing history and if you and all the others who are so fascinated as to all the legal ins and outs about who allegedly owns the stuff then why don't you hire some good lawyers and find out once and for all instead of just posting opinions on it... :)

I've already said I couldn't give a toss about who actually claims to own any of it, as they don't seem to be bothered about it themselves anymore... :)

ok, then I won't complicate this further by asking why the C64 is now the C64x. Heh. We'll just tiptoe away from Ironstone Partners on this one...

Offline Franko

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Quote from: number6;616992
ok, then I won't complicate this further by asking why the C64 is now the C64x. Heh. We'll just tiptoe away from Ironstone Partners on this one...

Ok... don't ask... and I wont simplify things by telling you, I'll just stomp away noisily to watch Ironside on this one... :)

Offline number6

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:45 PM »
Quote from: Franko;616994
Ok... don't ask... and I wont simplify things by telling you, I'll just stomp away noisily to watch Ironside on this one... :)

Ironstone Partners is one of the curious ones involved in the AI/Hyperion settlement. They licensed C64 from Tulip and their license is valid until 2015. You might notice some similarities in how they approached things:

source

a bit later on

fun stuff

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
Quote from: Franko;616990
You may ask and I shall gladly tell you... :)

It's not an "obsesion" as you call it I just hate to see the names Commodore, C64, Amiga & Workbench being used to sell an inferior product... :)

I hate to break this to you, but you are about 10years too late... We've been there done that... We've seen the name dragged through the mud, and thrown around to the point Amiga and to a lesser extent Commodore are now a laughing stock or forgotten at best.

I say good luck to anyone who thinks they can use the Amiga brand now to sell computers :)

And why on earth would I want any of their stuff ???

Might make you feel better?

Offline Franko

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
Quote from: number6;616996
Ironstone Partners is one of the curious ones involved in the AI/Hyperion settlement. They licensed C64 from Tulip and their license is valid until 2015. You might notice some similarities in how they approached things:

source

a bit later on

fun stuff

@ number6 & bloodline

Sigh... you don't get it do you who cares about all the crap from the past, I sometimes wonder if certain folk who post here even use an Amiga or C64 anymore, they just seem to like quoting BS articles and legal documents from years ago that don't mean a thing anymore instead of enjoying the Amiga for what it was and still is.... :(

It would be far more useful and helpful if these certain folk put a bit more effort into helping others out who post Amiga hardware/software problems and questions here... :)

But then maybe if it's been so long since they abandoned the Amiga they've either forget how to answer such questions or maybe they just never owned an Amiga in the first place and just come to these forums for something to do and re-hash the same old stuff over & over again...:rolleyes:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
Quote from: TorbenLarsen;616745
AROS is such a beautiful project.. :)

Yes it is, thankfully the screaming and sneering against AROS has died down a bit over the years.

Who is that entity that claims to own the girl of Amiga... I WANT TO SEE IT NOW...!!

Either ask AI nicely, or do something that will force AI to sue you and then in court you can subpoena all ownership records, are your two options of seeing ownership of AI IP.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
Quote from: TorbenLarsen;616705
no fishing.. the big stick
Money is no relevans... freedom is

why donate to something that is already free...

Stolen property is never free.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline number6

« Reply #44 from previous page: February 21, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Quote from: Franko;617004
@ number6 & bloodline

Sigh... you don't get it do you who cares about all the crap from the past, I sometimes wonder if certain folk who post here even use an Amiga or C64 anymore, they just seem to like quoting BS articles and legal documents from years ago that don't mean a thing anymore instead of enjoying the Amiga for what it was and still is.... :(

It would be far more useful and helpful if these certain folk put a bit more effort into helping others out who post Amiga hardware/software problems and questions here... :)

But then maybe if it's been so long since they abandoned the Amiga they've either forget how to answer such questions or maybe they just never owned an Amiga in the first place and just come to these forums for something to do and re-hash the same old stuff over & over again...:rolleyes:

Actually Franko, I do get it. I'm posting from an amiga and I spend hours a day helping people in irc.
It's unfortunate these subjects of ownership keep coming up, but they are actually relevant to what you support.
I get asked constantly by devs of projects about the pitfalls/minefields they may be walking into and how to avoid them. You have no idea how many projects that actually could have been brought to the public have been destroyed by the confusion and legalities surrounding them.

If bringing up such things in public is disturbing, then I apologize.