Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS...  (Read 4433 times)

Description:

Offline zurt

• Show only replies by zurt
Re: OS...
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 26, 2003, 11:49:19 AM »
hummm I don't love LINUX either. I always had the impression that LINUX was the bastard son for the GNU Utils, whilst the real kernel for the GNU Utils is HURD!!!!!

TOÑO
zurt

AmigaOS user since 1989
MorphOS user since 2003

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2003, 01:48:02 PM »
I have been playing around with MacOS X alot lately and I must say I'm in love. It's beautiful, it's has the stability of *nix and the look and feel of MacOS, what more could one ask for (oh well, look and feel of AmigaOS then :)?

I have been playing around a little with X11 on the Mac aswell, and it seems GTK apps can be ported to MacOS quite easily, I tried Gimp, which ran just fine on a friends Mac. Way cool.
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2003, 02:04:53 PM »
Well, I've had MacOS-X installed on my Mac for about 8 months, and I must say it has been nice to work with.  It is stable, eligant, powerful, and also takes up almost a gig of hard disk space.  But Apple has done alot of nice things with the OS, and it seems to now be gaining more support in the way of games and apps.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2003, 10:01:31 PM »
@DaveP

It's been about three years since I did any in depth research into what makes an OS a flavor of Unix.  I was pretty sure I'd get something wrong.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline Mike_AmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2003, 04:56:02 AM »
@ Everyone

Thanks for your replies on the subject.

I do have OS X (Jaguar) but I’m running it on a separate partition, I have had it for at least 6 months if not longer. My only real gripe is the dock system, I know it can be hidden with a few key presses, or placed left, right and at the bottom, but most of the time I find it gets in the way. I’d rather see my apps back in the top left-hand corner, if Apple made that a sort of extra dock positioning I’d be a happy man.

On the plus side it shows you all of the applications available, but you could do that with a row of alias’s on your desktop. Another plus, while your online and iTunes is changing track it doesn’t leave you wondering if it will crash/freeze/hang for a few seconds before carrying on like nothing happened. I’ve since found by playing CDs through the player, rather than iTunes that it doesn’t give me this problem but then I don’t always just want to play CDs.

While a lot of my apps may run in Classic they may not run properly, and why have two operating systems running (OS X and Classic) which puts extra strain on my machine, when I can have one OS running. One example that was recently fixed was in Appleworks, where the spell check box would appear to high on the screen making it difficult, if not impossible to use.

I like OS X it barely ever crashes and it’s nice to know Apple haven’t ripped off anyone else's technology, still needs a lot of optimisation though. :-D
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2003, 05:02:10 AM »
X or 10 as I'm told it's supposed to be called runs on a UNIX base. How do people think of this OS? As a bastardised version of UNIX or a clever incorporation of UNIX? Are you happy it was incorporated (about time) or annoyed Apple have started acting like M$ ripping off other peoples inventions?
It still has a one button mouse, how good could it be?  I'll be Bill Gates' poster boy before I use an Apple OS!

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2003, 05:07:47 AM »
export DISPLAY=wayne.amiga.org:0
xv playboy091102.jpg & <- thats 9th November btw
That works great, just make sure no one's hooked up over a 56k modem!  ;-)

Man, this reminds me of a time when I was working at Environment Canada writing some scientific analysis software on HP Unix systems.  My buddy who was in an another room thought it would be funny if he pasted a few pix on my screen.  So I'm working away and all of a sudden some hard core beastiality pops up on my screen!  And then a few more pix!  Of course I'm frantically trying to close all the windows because I'm working in a public area, more like a hall way.  I just managed to close all the windows before my manager walked by!  That was close!  That was the day I learned how to set permissions on the display!  ;-)

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Mike_AmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2003, 05:39:48 AM »

Herewegoagain wrote:
Well, I've had MacOS-X installed on my Mac for about 8 months, and I must say it has been nice to work with.  It is stable, eligant, powerful, and also takes up almost a gig of hard disk space.  But Apple has done alot of nice things with the OS, and it seems to now be gaining more support in the way of games and apps.

Strange, I've also noted this recent support increase, especially in gaming, but it's not just limited to OS X. I was talking to one of my PC owning friends and mentioned I had Deus Ex.
"Oh, must be a bit fiddley to play with a pad" he exclaimed. I'd also been talking about games on the PS 2. When I mentioned I had it for Mac he couldn't believe it. "I thought it was almost impossible to come by games, especially recent ones for a Mac."
"To be honest" I said "that was one of my initial fears as well. I thought after I finished college I'd eventually get bored of pretending I'm going to be a graphic designer and flog my Mac to get a top notch PC. Then I could get all the latest games and have productivity software all pre-installed for me, the best of both worlds!"

OT:In some other conversation (in another pub, same night), he mentioned how hard it was to come by disks for an Amiga. I mentioned that I bought about 20 disks from Argos not so long ago.
“But don’t they come preformatted for PCs?” he asked.
“Well yes they do, but I just reformat them.”
“But that doesn’t work!”
“Yes it does I have quite a few with South Park and Pulp Fiction samples on them. “What did you use?”
“Some PD Copying programme.”
“Didn’t seem to work when I used workbench CLI!?!” He said.
This confused me a bit, I hadn’t tried it recently in CLI myself but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work if the PD app worked.
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2003, 07:31:18 AM »

Glaucus wrote:
It still has a one button mouse, how good could it be?  I'll be Bill Gates' poster boy before I use an Apple OS!

I didn't know that operating systems had mouse buttons! :)

Seriously, I think it's a feature that MacOS can be operated with a single button mouse. Connect a 2, 3, 5 or Bazillion button mouse, and MacOS will use the buttons and you can configure the buttons to your heart's content.

OTOH, I hate that PowerBooks ship with only one "mouse" button. Then you have to use an external mouse, unless you're happy with using e.g. F11 and F12 as MMB and RMB in e.g. X11. I tend to use external mouses with laptops anyway, but it's nevertheless a nuisance.

[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......