Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which to choose? 'Red pill or Blue pill'  (Read 4240 times)

Description:

Offline gizz72Topic starter

• Show only replies by gizz72
Which to choose? 'Red pill or Blue pill'
« on: May 20, 2004, 02:55:49 AM »
Greetings,

I need advice here. After reading the AmigaUser turned Peg2 user article earlier. I'm in a tight fix now. I can't decide weather which one I should consider for upgrades. A peg2HW and MorphOS or PeeCee based machine running emulated AmigaOS. I know it's a bit personal but I want to upgrade my classic A1200 besides playing games on a day-off or making beautiful music together. Need specs as well. I just want to merge both work and play in one machine.

Which to choose? 'the blue pill or the red pill?' kind of analogy here. Your advice(s) is/are greatly appreciated. :-D
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Matt_H

Re: Which to choose? 'Red pill or Blue pill'
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 05:50:28 AM »
Well, what are you planning on doing with your machine? Cost aside, the Pegasos or A1 will ensure that you're set for the future, whereas a PC with UAE/Amithlon will give you the fastest access of Classic Amiga apps. PCs are available in some really cool, really small cases, which is always fun. You could also do the same when the MicroA1 comes to market. Also bear in mind that you'll lose direct access to older games/apps with a Peg/A1 (UAE will be needed), but an emulated system should be able to handle them directly.

It's your call, though - what do you want? Older stuff only faster, or newer stuff?

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 06:27:52 AM »
As Matt says, what do you want? If you want to play old games, buy Amiga Forever or some other emulator.

If you want a new OS and support that will last for the life of the machine, you will have to make up your mind which of the red or blue camps is more likely to survive in the long term.

Ignore the side issues of Amiga Inc, KMOS and Genesi - none of them is doing any of the OS design and support. As far as the OS and its applications are concerned, it's MorphOS and its supporters Vs Hyperion and its supporters. I can't advise you on that, but I'm sure many others will.

tony

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 06:30:34 AM »
It's your call, though - what do you want? Older stuff only faster, or newer stuff?

Hmmm that's tough one. It's like letting go of the past and moving on, or, leave my old games so I can play better games. Got so many games I love on Amiga that I can't leave. Anyway, that's where my A1200 comes in to fill that gap, but it's still a tough choice for me. On the other hand, my love for 'newer stuff' also kicks in. Although I'm not sure what it 'feels' like to drive a MorphOS, but my curiosity over takes me sometimes. It's the same feeling when I knew the first A1000 back in '85. I'm impressed with Morph as well. I still could not make up mind. Unless someone could give an inspiring answer.

I was hoping it to use it on games and programming. Playing games while developing a few apps(using VB, DB2 server) from office work as well. Sometimes when the need arise, web developement is one of my budding interest too, paint programs comes in to fill that. As well as Web Server. I was hoping I could do both in one system. Does A1OS and MorphOS is capable enough to meet my needs(play old games fast and do newer stuffs as well)?

Good day to all Amigans! :-D
Good day to all Amigans!

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2

Offline Morley

• Show only replies by Morley
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 08:24:20 AM »
'the blue pill or the red pill?'

Aargh! You beat me to it :-) , I was just waiting for an oppurtunity to use that acronym.

Wasn't the red pill supposed to give you the awful truth, while the blue pill would send you back into the dreamworld(Matrix), remembering nothing? Can't get that to connect with the Amiga vs. Pegasos situation to well though :-P
Lame signature removed by moderator.

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 08:35:22 AM »
Ahh the Amiga! 'Isn't it worth dying for?'
 :lol:
Good day to all Amigans!

Offline Zorro

• Show only replies by Zorro
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 08:42:23 AM »
Both ?

:-P

Hmmmm... a little expensive I think...  :oops:
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
   Zorro:roflmao:Zorro
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
The Phoenix is rising...

Offline pVC

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 08:46:01 AM »
Take both ;) Buy Peg2 and run MOS for newer stuff and use UAE on MOS to emulate the older stuff.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 08:48:17 AM »
THE PEGASOS!!

What would you run on the x86?

A pegasos will run AmigaOS software under emulation, plus PowerPC MorphOS , AND WarpUP & PowerUP software, natively.

See if you can find where a peg is being demonstrated. The first time I saw one, I realised it was better than I had imagined. Buying a Pegasos was one of the best decisions I have made - ever.

Offline Jope

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 09:41:11 AM »
Buy a fast PC and run WinUAE whenever you feel the need for some Amiga action.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 09:43:45 AM »
iamaboringperson wrote:
What would you run on the x86?

A helluvalot more than on the classic Amiga, AmigaOne and Pegasos platforms :-P?
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 09:55:45 AM »
So can I still do office work(VB stuffs, office Xp, DB2 server) under MOS?

Good day to all Amigans! :-D
Good day to all Amigans!

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 10:44:36 AM »
gizz72 wrote:
So can I still do office work(VB stuffs, office Xp, DB2 server) under MOS?

Harhar. In any case, my opinion is to ditch all this slow and outdated PPC stuff which still doesn't allow you to choose freely from all available hardware even though it can be plugged in, and go for a PC. Much more bang for the buck. The only reason you should stick to Amigas or Pegasoses is when you have notions about 'going against the flow', 'thinking differently' and so forth. And then it becomes a matter of religion. The Pegasos has the advantage of having much more native applications, something which cannot be said for the AmigaOne. The latter has of course the name and from the scarce information available, a better redesign of the OS.

I am quite sure that even if at the moment the AmigaOne was sold with a full version of AmigaOS 4.0, you'd still hesitate. None of the mentioned computers will do exactly what your aging 1200 can do today. All of the computers will behave exceedingly fast and powerful. To stick with cheap  Matrix quips: 'Try not to select The Computer, for that is impossible. Instead try to realise the truth: there is no The Computer. Then you will see it is not The Computer that you select, it is only yourself.'
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 11:00:02 AM »
Looking at what you want to do, I'd suggest going for a PC and keeping the 1200. This'll allow you to do the newer stuff you're looking to do, and play the classics on the 1200. (Maybe it's just me, but at this point I'm wondering if I'm ever going to find WinUAE smooth enough to play games on.