Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Power 7 anyone have more info?  (Read 822 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Power 7 anyone have more info?
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
Article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/08/ibm_power7_chip_launch/

I see they put the Altivec instructions back in. Does that mean this monster is going in a next gen games console. Imagine having a 5GHz 8-core cpu in your games console.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Power 7 anyone have more info?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
Multi-gigahertz does not a good processor make.

AFAIK the Power series haven't given Intel a run for their money in a long time (if ever).

Offline AJCopland

Re: Power 7 anyone have more info?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
There's an older piece from ArsTechnica in link below but other than that it's a bit early to say.
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/09/ibms-8-core-power7-twice-the-muscle-half-the-transistors.ars

MS and Sony certainly aren't in any hurry to release a new console and since Power7 is a REALLY high-end part it's anyones guess as to what would actually go into a future games console.

Try to remember that the earliest Xbox360 devkits were actually Dual-core PowerMac G5's but that the final CPU in the Xbox360 is a custom, in-order, tri-core design with 2 hardware threads per-core. VERY VERY different from the PPC 970 in a G5 Mac.

Some of the tech from the Power7 could conceivably make its way into the next Xbox??? or PS4 but I don't it will be a direct relation too it.

Awesome sounding CPU though!

Andy

EDIT: i keep forgetting you can't do links with HTML here! Doh
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!