Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X500 Plus case  (Read 7834 times)

Description:

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
Re: X500 Plus case
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »
Ok so someone has managed to put a Apple thin keyboard on a simple shaped a500 looking like case..  actually the real a500 I think looks much better in such it has its own identity with nicer curves instead of being a Steve "minimalist" Job.

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
I think we need to buy TheDaddy a commercial 3d printer or CNC milling machine, sorry I just cant get beyond the sheet metal feel to it with its profile.   It reminds me of a wide Dataflyer 500 case.  

I know working from the garage you having limitations, its great that your produced something, but would love to see it taken to the next level.

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;691568
The aluminium is great for stiffness and heat dissipation, that is one of the reason I chose it.
Next level? I have got other things on paper but they'll depend on the X500 to do well.

No doubt aluminium is a great base material, but theres only so much you can do with a sheet of it without fancy stamping.

Wish you luck though!  I want to see next level!

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:10:38 AM »
Quote from: jorkany;691591
Are there 3D printers that model in metal? At least ones that are fairly accessible to the customer?

For metal you use a CNC Mill or lathe for rounder objects.  It sculpts it from a solid metal block.

Quote from: persia;691591
Why not just 3D print it, time and materials on a quality 3D printer is going to be cheaper than manufacturing it. That's what Commodore would have done if they were still around!

3D printing is great for small complex pieces, but for a large case would take too long. Also if you dont use resin (liquid) or teflon powder 3d printing then you get lines with extruder method that you would have to sand down.    Best to use mould injection but it takes alot of effort to make the moulds making it very expensive..  For one prototype case it will probably cost about $20000 USD.    A mould for a small door plaque can cost up to $3000 USD.

I think metal stamping is probably most cost effective solution if sales do ramp up. You can do more complex shapes, in a larger volume economically.

Quote from: JJ;691591
I think the case is awesome and the way i read darkage comments
Is that he is being a bit of a tool. He is obviously the best case maker in the world

I never made my own case before nor do I want to, but I do firmly believe in using the right tools for the job!  Where you see awesome, I see improvements simple as that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:40:02 AM by darkage »

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:17 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;691867

I also want to try and make a black prototype if I can raise the money.

Why not start up a kickstart page to raise funds?   I've noticed when I was shopping for a 3d printer, alot of startup projects showing off a prototype, raising funds online then off to the production line seems they have been quite successful sooo far with amount raised.

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:15 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;692029
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to move the LEDs to the left instead of centrally?

Can't do right as it fouls the memory on the x86 board and the picoPSU on the SAM460...

If you think about it the X500 is all reversed

:D compared to the A500

Drives on the left too...

Opinions?

Thanks

Yeah thats one of the reasons why i dont like it that much,   its reversed compared to a A500..  I think it would be cool if you added something unique...  how about a spring loaded 2" colour LCD that can pop out on the left hand side next to the keyboard for owners of floppy emulators that use the screen to select floppy images?  Something out of the box would be cool.  Well spring loaded is a bit complex but some mounting aid for small lcd screens would be good I think.

Offline darkage

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:31:21 AM »
The case could be shipped without LED's mounted, just with labelled connections.. Then it will alllow the enduser to select what colour is worthy for them.. :)