Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6  (Read 12220 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »
News from the MorphOS Team:

"The MorphOS development team is proud to announce the immediate availability of MorphOS 3.6. Delivering one of the most requested features, this new version can now utilize the built-in Wi-Fi hardware in all Apple systems that feature Broadcom's BCM43 chipset. In addition, MorphOS further extends its support of graphics chipsets to include AMD's R400 series by adding compatibility with Radeon X800 PRO and FireGL X3 cards. Moreover, the latest version of MorphOS now enables laptop owners to define custom screen modes and provides default modes for increasingly common high resolution displays.

Improving interoperability and overall convenience, MorphOS 3.6 adds a new SMBFS filesystem handler with 64-bit I/O support for easy file sharing via network storage devices, a new VNC server to control your MorphOS systems remotely or even without a display, and a Synergy client for sharing a nearby mouse and keyboard with any Linux, MacOS or Windows machine that is part of your local network and acts as a Synergy server.

As usual, MorphOS 3.6 includes many more improvements and bug fixes. For a more complete list of all changes, please read our MorphOS 3.6 release notes.

We strongly urge new users to carefully read our installation and troubleshooting guides before they attempt to install MorphOS for the first time. Existing users can upgrade via the familiar procedure but are encouraged to read the guides as well. MorphOS 3.6 is available for download in our files section."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:32:42 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
Great. The airport extreme support is pretty much appreciated as well as the SMBFS client. Downloading it now.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
So many Improvements! :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:36:10 PM by takemehomegrandma »

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
Pegs FTW!  ;) :)

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
Very nice! Too bad my G5 can't run it though according to the guidelines
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »
not that i care much, but wasnt there support for sam boards announced? also, strange, this thread was longer few minutes ago:O???

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »
Oh my... this is just getting better and better. Great news and thank you MorphOS Team!!!

Can't wait to install it on my Peggy and the 1139 ;-)

Cheers,

Dragster
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:57 AM »
Holy cat piss batman!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 01:37:45 AM »
OOOHHHHH!!! Thats bad ass.  SMBFS... I've been waiting for this update.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;767730
Very nice! Too bad my G5 can't run it though according to the guidelines

where does it say that?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 02:00:53 AM »
Starting to look really good, a shame nobody is picking up warp3d. I understand that it's old but would still be nice :-)

Still not a fan of Ambient, also is there such a thing as "morphos update"? There's grunch I know but pretty buggy and doesn't always work.

Would be great to be able to update from within MorphOS instead of having to deal with old fashioned discs all the time :-/

Liking the SMBFS though :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 02:50:03 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;767737
where does it say that?

My G5 Quad is not under the supported hardware list. Plus the Radeon I had in it died so I have to default to an NVIDIA I have lying around. Which means no for MorphOS
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 05:11:00 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;767738
Would be great to be able to update from within MorphOS instead of having to deal with old fashioned discs all the time :-/

You can avoid dealing with physical discs, Thomas Rapp described it at MorphZone:

Updating procedure for...
Pegasos
Mac

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »
Quote from: Senex;767747
You can avoid dealing with physical discs, Thomas Rapp described it at MorphZone:

Updating procedure for...
Pegasos
Mac

Yes, you don't have to burn a disc to install or update MorphOS.  Also, updating MorphOS has always been an easy task from within the existing previous MorphOS installation, so I don't understand any complaints about the update process.  I also have never had any trouble with using Grunch to update or install 3rd party MorphOS compatible software packages, so I don't understand the "buggy" complaint.  Grunch is largely dependent on the developers who choose to use it, by including an entry for their own software programs in the Grunch database.  Problems can arise if the database entry is done incorrectly, but I don't consider that a fault of the Grunch program itself.  Grunch is one of my favorite utilities for MorphOS and I would not want to do without it.  Grunch is the first thing I recommend to all new MorphOS users.

The news that MorphOS3.6 now supports my Radeon R400 based FireGL video card is great and something I had not expected until later in a future version.

The Quad Core G5 PowerMac is not yet supported, but I would not rule out a chance that it might be supported some time in the future.  There is no official announcement regarding the Quad Core G5's yet.

Can't wait to test out MorphOS3.6 on my Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac!

Thanks to all MorphOS Dev. Team members for yet another great free update, to an already great operating system.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 06:12:45 AM »
@Amigadave or anyone

What is the best air cooled G5 desktop-tower type to get for MorphOS?  I have a "short list" of a few older machines I am tracking down. I would like to add this. My only MorphOS reg is tied to an older G4 mini.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:23:48 AM by Jeff »