Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X-Surf 100, Zorro Network Card 100 MBit  (Read 6604 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: X-Surf 100, Zorro Network Card 100 MBit
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:21 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;744838
I think this has been discussed before.  He didn't want to make new cards due to lack of available 060's, and didn't want to produce a bare card (i.e. for people to pull their own 060's and put them on) because it would be impossible to warranty.  Or something like that.  I think that was the same reason he was also no longer producing any of the 56MHz 030 cards for A1200's.  *sigh*

But you're right - there's always FPGA!  :D

FPGA ftw! :)

An x86 on a card running an emulated 68k that appears to the Amiga as a real 68k CPU is a fantasy I've often dreamed of too. Theoretically it would be faster than any current FPGA tech.

Ah we can but dream eh? :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744863

An x86 on a card running an emulated 68k that appears to the Amiga as a real 68k CPU is a fantasy I've often dreamed of too. Theoretically it would be faster than any current FPGA tech.

Why dream? It is dead easy to accomplish, in fact I have already done it :)

I bought and ebox for about $150 (It is a very tiny PC), and set up a Windows XP + Winuae enviroment, then hid all the Windows stuff, so the ebox would seem like an Amiga. I connected it thru ethernet to my DraCo (You can use your own Amiga instead) and then used VNC. The DraCo was the client and the Winuae PC was the server.

I am not at home right now, if not I could show you the setup. Anyway, it is dead easy. You can also use, instead of VNC, RDP, or even X (all of them have been ported to the Amiga).

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;744869
Why dream? It is dead easy to accomplish, in fact I have already done it :)

I bought and ebox for about $150 (It is a very tiny PC), and set up a Windows XP + Winuae enviroment, then hid all the Windows stuff, so the ebox would seem like an Amiga. I connected it thru ethernet to my DraCo (You can use your own Amiga instead) and then used VNC. The DraCo was the client and the Winuae PC was the server.

I am not at home right now, if not I could show you the setup. Anyway, it is dead easy. You can also use, instead of VNC, RDP, or even X (all of them have been ported to the Amiga).

That's cool but not as cool as a card that fits in the CPU slot of my A3000 would be. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744870
That's cool but not as cool as a card that fits in the CPU slot of my A3000 would be. ;)

If you just want that, then just build a dummy CPU slot card, that could even provide the power to the ebox. The ebox can easily fit inside the dummy card as it is very small (aprox 10x10cm). The maximun size for a big box Amiga CPU slot card should be 11x33cm according to CBM specs (If I remember correctly).

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »

But in order to get some good speedy one, you usually have to have a rather large cooler.
But it could be nice in any case.

Personally, what I hope he will create next, is a new Zorro based graphics card, its crazy what 20+ years cards sells for.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;744872
If you just want that, then just build a dummy CPU slot card, that could even provide the power to the ebox. The ebox can easily fit inside the dummy card as it is very small (aprox 10x10cm). The maximun size for a big box Amiga CPU slot card should be 11x33cm according to CBM specs (If I remember correctly).

How would the A3000/A4000 see this dummy card as an 68k CPU without a whole lot of electrical engineering and firmware magic?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
Quote from: yssing;744877
But in order to get some good speedy one, you usually have to have a rather large cooler.
But it could be nice in any case.

Probably, but would be nice to have a real Amiga that could run stuff as fast as Amithlon did. :)

Personally, what I hope he will create next, is a new Zorro based graphics card, its crazy what 20+ years cards sells for.

What GPU tech is out there that is available for licencing in new products?

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744976
Probably, but would be nice to have a real Amiga that could run stuff as fast as Amithlon did. :)

true, but may be an ARM acting as a 68k would be better.

Quote from: nicholas;744976

What GPU tech is out there that is available for licencing in new products?

I have no idea, but there must be some.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »

I think someone at A1K.org did this quite some time ago with an A1000. They replaced the 68K with a whole bunch of wires and other logic hooked up to a PC. Cool proof of concept. Something more practical and self-contained could probably be done nowadays (probably with ARM, as another post mentions).

Offline nicholas

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
Quote from: yssing;745041
true, but may be an ARM acting as a 68k would be better.

In what way?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;745076
I think someone at A1K.org did this quite some time ago with an A1000. They replaced the 68K with a whole bunch of wires and other logic hooked up to a PC. Cool proof of concept. Something more practical and self-contained could probably be done nowadays (probably with ARM, as another post mentions).

Very cool, I wasn't aware of that before. I'll have to try and find the thread on A1K via google translate.

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
Quote from: System;744585

If used in an Amiga 2000 or in a Zorro daughter board for the Amiga 1200, it will run at Zorro-II speed.

And what does that mean with respect to the 'mBit'-rate?
Does the new X-surf just run at 10 mBit speed when it is in a Zorro II slot?
Or what does "Zorro II speed" mean?

But in this case this would mean it would just be able to run at max. 50 mBit, if Zorro III is up to 5 times faster as Zorro II.

???

So please - what does "Zorro II speed" or "Zorro III Speed" mean in mBit?
That's the unit I'm interested in when it comes to transfer rates...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;744702

Also, AmigaKit states that the card comes with Easy Net Software! :laugh1:

Hmmm - and on the Vesalia page (http://www.vesalia.de/e_xsurf100.htm) says it comes without any software:
"Delivery without floppy disk or CD. Drivers must be downloaded."
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
Quote from: Akiko;744821

Now please do something to replace the Deneb.

What's wrong with the Deneb?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Domi73

• Show only replies by Domi73
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;746889
What's wrong with the Deneb?

It's not available anymore...
About this new card, does it means we will be able to surf the web if I install it into an A3000?

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 10, 2013, 03:38:57 AM »
If you have a browser and an Internet connection that ends up in a Ethernet RJ45 plug. EasyNet is just a front end for AmiTCP 3.x which does not support the LPR.device.