Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion giving opportunity to repair old CSPPC's, preparing for AOS4  (Read 5495 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: Hyperion giving opportunity to repair old CSPPC's,
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2003, 08:14:33 PM »
Folks,

I'm sorry if I seem frustrated, especially so if you read my dramatic wording in other boards from time to time.

But the fact is, I am tired of prepayment plans that are a result of 'we are about to deliver something, can't say when, won't be obligated to anything'

That sets off alarm bells with me, and I won't apologize for it, seen to many people get ripped off...buying club memberships, coupons, developer packs, you name it...beleiving they were supporting the launch of a product 'real soon now'

Real soon now doesn't mean anything to me.  I think its great about expanding the base of OS 4 by repairing Cyberstorms, as opposed to selling AmigaONE.

Oh my understanding was that Amiga, Inc. said they really don't make a lot on sales of OS 4, they need hardware sales of AmigaOne's...so this smacks of really sticking it to them....

but you know what else, I don't care for such speculation...its fun for a little post...but I truly believe that fixing Cyberstorm's is a nice idea, which is why I have said that...exactly that...3 times now.

But....I for one, recommend people wait for OS 4 to be released, since it is real soon now, waiting won't make a difference....right?  Does that make sense?

Offline sdesros

• Show only replies by sdesros
    • http://www.501st.ca/
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2003, 08:33:48 PM »
But....I for one, recommend people wait for OS 4 to be released, since it is real soon now, waiting won't make a difference....right? Does that make sense?

I don't quite get the reason to wait in this case.  It's just a means for people to repair broken boards.

I don't see anywhere a mention saying that if you go through this service you have to prepurchase OS4, or give extra money to Hyperion.  All I can see Hyperion doing here is finding and coordinating this repair service.

Unless otherwise told, this repair service is available to any with a faulty CSPPC regardless if they want to run OS4 on it or not.

I for one applaud the effort.

Now, if this was an offer to purchase some expensive add-on hardware whose sole purpose was to run OS4, then I would see the logic in waiting for the OS to be released.

(A person that's waiting for his Pegasos, and considering an AOne w/OS4 in the future.)
Steph

Offline mahen

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2003, 09:42:58 PM »
Marktime:

there is NO prepayment : you only pay if you board gets repaired ! (did I understand correctly ?)

So it's a very nice move for Hyperion I think.

Offline SlimJimTopic starter

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2003, 09:53:56 PM »
@MarkTime

You usually produce reasoned posts, so I can't figure out
what your angle is this time. I simply can't see why you
can compare this to a pre-payment scheme in any way, or
why any "alarm bells" should go off in your head. (:-?)

...But you at least seem to agree that repars of
Cyberstorms is a good idea, so let's leave it at that. (And I
am in a terrible mood tonight, so better not write too
much).
SlimJim

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2003, 09:56:11 PM »
well I plan to respond to some other comments...but I'll leave yours at that.

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2003, 09:58:13 PM »
@mahen

if you are right, then there is no prepayment.  I read it to mean, that your money would be refunded if they couldn't repair it, but the cost is 135.

Now, I don't read scandinavian, but reading the english that the way I read it, except it doesn't clarify.
If you don't pay for the repairs until after it is successfully repaired then that only leaves one other questionable thing...which I will address in another response.

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2003, 10:09:03 PM »
Unless otherwise told, this repair service is available to any with a faulty CSPPC regardless if they want to run OS4 on it or not.

OK, this is the last I think that can be said on the subject.  Yes, if someone runs it to run OS 3.9, obviously, the release of OS 4 is not important.

But as it states in the article, OS4 for Cyberstorm is prominently mentioned.

People bought the DE cause amiga was about to be relaunched, the party pack, the t-shirt offer, coupons, etc....always we make purchasing decisions cause OS 4 or AmigaONE or the Amiga platform in general is about to be relaunched.

If someone buys a t-shirt, a game, a developer something....all on their own merits...no problem.

But selling something a service, for money, in using the reasoning OS4 is drawing nigh....well been there, done that, not listening...sticking my ears in my head and going nah nah nah.

Thats my point...thats it.  Not sending anyone money, not doing anything, not considering for a moment that OS 4 is going to be released.  

Ben Hermans: will it be released this year?
I wasn't going to ask, was going to respect
your wish not to answer.  But so many Amiga
advocates keep wanting us to make decisions
...purchasing decisions, repair decisions, what
have you based on the soon release of OS 4
but we don't even know if it will be this year.

OK, I have a b-day party to go to, so I can guarantee
I'm done for today...see ya'll....peace

btw, I do agree that no scam in the world would ever be targeted at the limited group of users who have cyberstorms in need of repair...don't believe its a scam at all...just that consumers should make decisions based on accurate and complete information.

sorry for the ephedrine rant...lol :0)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2003, 10:24:33 PM »
@ HyperionMP

We are not making any profits from the repairs.

I am actually a little surprized by that statement. Sure, charity is nice. But the way I see it you would have got just about the same amount of good will points even if you charged a little extra for that service. Please don't read this is as a complaint, I think this a great idea. But making money is not ugly. Rather the opposite, it's a security for future evolution. And this is gives a value worth paying for!

This is obviously an overlooked need on the market and I am a little surprised that noone has thought about this before (including myself :-P). Going through established resellers brings a great deal of trust to the whole thing. If I had a CSPPC I would *not* have sent it to amiga.fr (or whatever), but I would have no problem sending it to GGS Data! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline zee4

• Show only replies by zee4
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2003, 10:25:01 PM »
The idea behind is to boost sales of OS 4 when available and generally expand the userbase of OS 4

I don't own a CyberStorm or BlizzardPPC, but it's a nice offer, thanks for making it.

I hope you sell a lot of copies of OS4.

Zoltan

Offline zee4

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2003, 10:29:25 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

his is obviously an overlooked need on the market and I am a little surprised that noone has thought about this before (including myself ).

I agree, at this point an AmigaOne board still sells for a lot (relatively), it's a good offer for people who might not be able to afford to put a lot of money into the their Amiga hobby at the moment, but still have an old CSPPC around.

Zoltan

Offline zee4

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2003, 10:37:12 PM »
sorry for the ephedrine rant...lol :0)

No problem, don't worry too much, we've been waiting for OS4 too long.

OK, this is the last I think that can be said on the subject. Yes, if someone runs it to run OS 3.9, obviously, the release of OS 4 is not important.

Maybe you've been listening to Fleecy too much, but it's not just OS3.9 on PPC.  They have/are fixing up a bunch of things, remember H&P was mostly doing patch-ups. This time they're doing (starting anyways) some real renovations.

Sorry, didn't mean to bust your buzz, just keep thinking evil thoughts about Amiga, it will all go away...

Zoltan

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2003, 11:15:55 PM »
@ zee4

This is obviously an overlooked need on the market and I am a little surprised that noone has thought about this before (including myself ).

I agree, at this point an AmigaOne board still sells for a lot (relatively), it's a good offer for people who might not be able to afford to put a lot of money into the their Amiga hobby at the moment, but still have an old CSPPC around.

In the matter of fact, this might benefit MorphOS CSPPC users aswell. AFAIK there are no obligations to buy OS4 to take part of this deal. The goodwill points will go to Hyperion though!

Edit:

And it's not exactly free of charge, €135 might still be a lot of money to some people you know. But nevertheless, I think the value of this deal will be worth it for many people.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2003, 11:58:36 PM »
@marktime
>Now, I don't read scandinavian, but reading the english that the way I read it, except it doesn't clarify.

Next time you go and get your car/tv/whatever repaired, think about what you'll be told. I bet you'll be told 'The repair is going to cost you xyz '  (Sound like 'The price is 1250
SEK (135 euro). ', right)
Now, do you usually pay that amount upfront or when you pick up your stuff?
And now, if they later on find out that they cannot repair it, they would probably charge you a small fee, or no fee at all. (hm starts to sound like 'If the card cannot be repaired within 3
months, it will be returned by Hyperion at no cost.')

Now, why do you have to keep going on with this crusade of yours? Every time someone posts something about AOS4 you _have_ to twist the facts and misinterpret them and drive an opinion?

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2003, 09:54:43 AM »
Nice idea

Offline jaokim

• Show only replies by jaokim
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2003, 10:57:21 AM »

or is it about some kind of an AOL Murder?

Ding ding ding!!! Give that man a cigar

The new release of The Shining, quoting Danny:
-Redrum... Redrum...! Redrum AOL!

Btw, I had this figured out long ago.   :-D

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2003, 07:19:50 PM »
Thanks for your post Ben
 You are a man of integrity. I appreicate your response. I'm excited to run OS4 on my 4000T. It will be released before the Aone version correct? How is your bugixing coming on the Custom chipset registers? Any other roadblocks on CYPPC?
TIA
realize
 :-)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs