Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion giving opportunity to repair old CSPPC's, preparing for AOS4  (Read 5494 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: Hyperion giving opportunity to repair old CSPPC's,
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 01:58:43 PM »
no no...I hope no one misunderstood me...

I agree, its a nice offer, if I had a broken Cyberstorm PPC,  I would certainly repair it, rather than throw it away, and its hard to find a repair shop.  This is a good service.

Of course, it also goes without saying, I would not repair it based on the idea that OS 4 is going to be released 'real soon now.'

As with all announcements, this is an advertisement, for a service that gives those involved a profit.  It is not a non profit goodwill service, and it is not proof that OS 4 is going to be released 'real soon now'

OS 4 will be released when it is released.

That's a standard disclaimer, nothing wrong with getting a Cyberstorm fixed, but I would only fix it so it could run what it is known to run, not based on speculation about OS 4.

I don't have an OS 4 machine at all right now, but under the right circumstances, maybe I'd buy one of those fixed cyberstorms...who knows.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2003, 02:02:27 PM »
As with all announcements, this is an advertisement, for a service that gives those involved a profit. It is not a non profit goodwill service

Profits is what makes the wheels go around, bro! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2003, 03:10:47 PM »
We are not making any profits from the repairs.

NONE.

The idea behind is to boost sales of OS 4 when available and generally expand the userbase of OS 4

Any profits would be very indirect..

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2003, 03:15:42 PM »
I think it's a very good idea. Phase5 were always very good products but the support is crap all the way.
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 03:21:39 PM »
Poster: HyperionMP Date: 2003/4/11 10:10:47
We are not making any profits from the repairs.

NONE.

The idea behind is to boost sales of OS 4 when available and generally expand the userbase of OS 4

Any profits would be very indirect..

Ben, atleast in this post your not making it sound like Hyperion is going to be paying for the repairs, unlike your reply on ANN.

So how many fixiable PUPs are you expecting to ship off?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2003, 04:12:51 PM »
or is it about some kind of an AOL Murder?

Ding ding ding!!! Give that man a cigar ;-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2003, 04:39:38 PM »
for a moment, when i saw the name Hyperion popping up in the news, i thought it would be something to do with the release of OS4 (something like OS4 has gone gold or a released date is set for OS4 or something).

That would have been great... It has occured to me that we have waited a very long time for something new in amigaland. Now it seems almost impossible. Will it ever happen. Will OS4 be released before the end of the year? I have surfed the past year or so to amiga websites just to not miss the big day. But now i'm wondering if that big day will ever come.

when it's done...
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2003, 05:10:56 PM »
Poster: z5 Date: 2003/4/11 16:39:38

for a moment, when i saw the name Hyperion popping up in the news, i thought it would be something to do with the release of OS4 (something like OS4 has gone gold or a released date is set for OS4 or something).

That would have been great... It has occured to me that we have waited a very long time for something new in amigaland. Now it seems almost impossible. Will it ever happen. Will OS4 be released before the end of the year? I have surfed the past year or so to amiga websites just to not miss the big day. But now i'm wondering if that big day will ever come.

when it's done...

How long did it take for MOS to become to a usable state to where it could be released to the public when you buy a pegasos.

MOS has taken many years.

But ppl did not go around saying that it may not come out & some ppl are still calling it beta.

Hyperion hope to have the first release of Aos4 in a more finished state than the first release of MOS.

Maybe if MOS was not there to keep then on there toes then they may of released a mega buggy beta as ppl would just have to lump it as there was no alternative.
But i would not take the risk seeing as how some have attacked the beta screen shots of Aos4.

Just like i beleave if the pegasos was not around then eyetech would not be offering the Aone-XE at this time.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline z5

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2003, 05:39:04 PM »
@alkemyst:

Where did i mention MOS? Are you paranoid or something? One can't say anything anymore without MOS being mentioned...

In other words, what are you rambling about?

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2003, 05:56:08 PM »
Great News Hyperion!
 Good job. There ARE lots of broken Cyberstorms out there - especially DCE models. I bought one brand new from Compuquick Media for just under $900 shipped and it died on me less than 1 year later! Right before a crucial editing job I had on my 4000T  :-x
 I ended up selling it on the second hand market and bought Kermit (Nova Design) developer Phase5 board - been working ever since - Thank you God!  :-D
 I can wait for OS4 -
I'm a little dissapointed you guys at Hyperion didnt reply to my post about approximate dates of showing OS4 or posting screenshots... I defend you guys all the time in the MOS community and others. I understand you not wanting to post to be held to the dates, but you can post some kind of response.  :-)
 Thanks and I look forward to runnning this great OS.
Oh, and people STOP BASHING MOS and/or AOS its killing us
realize
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Alkemyst

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2003, 06:19:30 PM »
@alkemyst:

Where did i mention MOS? Are you paranoid or something? One can't say anything anymore without MOS being mentioned...

In other words, what are you rambling about?

No you didnt mention MOS i did as comparison  to how long an OS can to come out from such a small development team.

maybe you should take more time to undertsand what i said before hiting reply.

i suspect the minute i mentioned MOS you went into defence mode.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline z5

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2003, 06:26:27 PM »

Why should i? You completely misunderstood the first post i made anyway.

Offline Alkemyst

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2003, 06:37:41 PM »
Poster: z5 Date: 2003/4/11 18:26:27

Quote:

Why should i? You completely misunderstood the first post i made anyway.

Why should you what?

why should you take time to read my post cos i didnt understand yours.

If you didnt read my post through how would you know if i understood.

Well i took your first post as saying hyperion are takeing to long & that Aos4 may never come out.

You should not expect everyone to understand your post at every turn. but nore do i but your reply was hostile something that you do way to offten.

Its not good trying to get someone to undertstand you by calling them Paranoid & expect saying that would make understanding you any more clear.

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2003, 06:48:46 PM »
Sorry, didn't see that post of yours.

We tend to be careful with release dates.

Having said that, we do hope to come out with new screenshots soon.

Offline Loki1

• Show only replies by Loki1
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2003, 07:37:06 PM »
we do hope to come out with new screenshots soon.

Please hurry!  It's getting way to booring around here lately! :-D

Loki :-P
Amiga - Resistance was Futile! :-(

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2003, 08:14:33 PM »
Folks,

I'm sorry if I seem frustrated, especially so if you read my dramatic wording in other boards from time to time.

But the fact is, I am tired of prepayment plans that are a result of 'we are about to deliver something, can't say when, won't be obligated to anything'

That sets off alarm bells with me, and I won't apologize for it, seen to many people get ripped off...buying club memberships, coupons, developer packs, you name it...beleiving they were supporting the launch of a product 'real soon now'

Real soon now doesn't mean anything to me.  I think its great about expanding the base of OS 4 by repairing Cyberstorms, as opposed to selling AmigaONE.

Oh my understanding was that Amiga, Inc. said they really don't make a lot on sales of OS 4, they need hardware sales of AmigaOne's...so this smacks of really sticking it to them....

but you know what else, I don't care for such speculation...its fun for a little post...but I truly believe that fixing Cyberstorm's is a nice idea, which is why I have said that...exactly that...3 times now.

But....I for one, recommend people wait for OS 4 to be released, since it is real soon now, waiting won't make a difference....right?  Does that make sense?