Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New book: AmigaOS 4.1 - Emulation  (Read 10739 times)

Description:

Offline radzikTopic starter

• Show only replies by radzik
    • http://radzikowski.ovh.org
New book: AmigaOS 4.1 - Emulation
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »
We have something absolutely new! We proudly present the first book about AmigaOS 4.1. Krzysztof "Radzik" Radzikowski take a closer look at emulation under WinUAE and FS-UAE for environments: MS Windows, MacOS X and Linux.

In the book you can find following topics:

• How to prepare and install a complete AmigaOS 4.1,
  • How to use graphics, network and music cards - for Zorro and PCI slots,
  • How to use the system every day and perform updates,
  • How to download software and search for new applications,
  • How to use Qt and AmiCygnix packages.

Shipment: August 2016

To order, please follow the link: http://amiga.net.pl/index.php?lng=eng&kwt=10010&tms=64
Amiga 2000 2 MB Chip ECS, Blizzard 2060/60 MHz 128 MB Fast, Picasso II+, Deneb USB, 160 GB & DVD-RW / OS 3.9
Amiga 1200, Blizzard PPC 233/040 256 MB Fast, BVision / OS4.0, OS3.9,  MOS 1.45

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Re: New book: AmigaOS 4.1 - Emulation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:30:54 AM »
Nice! It's cool to know something like this is coming out.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:20:29 AM »
Good luck to you, but I find it distasteful to effectively just scour forums and faq's and see it released as some pay for collective guide.

Not a thing in it that could not be learned by a few clicks on the various Amiga forums.  But hey, cash in while you can.

We should be warmly and openly helping people set such things up without putting dollar signs on things.

I find such things the epitome of what is wrong with "the scene".  Maybe I am just an Amiga old timer that got too used to people openly helping on another without putting a dollar value on community collective tips and information, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:22:54 AM by Duce »

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:24 AM »
Have you actually read this book ?

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
This look like something I would like to review for Amiga Forum :)

Offline hishamk

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Duce;809063
Good luck to you, but I find it distasteful to effectively just scour forums and faq's and see it released as some pay for collective guide.

Not a thing in it that could not be learned by a few clicks on the various Amiga forums.  But hey, cash in while you can.

We should be warmly and openly helping people set such things up without putting dollar signs on things.

I find such things the epitome of what is wrong with "the scene".  Maybe I am just an Amiga old timer that got too used to people openly helping on another without putting a dollar value on community collective tips and information, I guess.

It's just EUR 19 for goodness sake. There's nothing wrong if the guy thinks his time to put it altogether is worth that much. I haven't read the book, but I guess there would be pointers and references to where he picked up the info.

Just look at some of the O'Reilly books. Some of them contain info you can glean from technical/API docs and forums. Still, I'd prefer a book that compiles things in one place and provides added insight (again, not sure if this book does, but I do hope so).

If it's any consolation, he's the guy behind the AmiCAST podcast, which is... free and quite enjoyable and informative. So that makes him one of the cool guys in the scene and I wouldn't mind if his other endeavours warranted a little bit of monetary incentive.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:47:10 AM by hishamk »
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
If the content has been collected and verified  into one volume then that saves me time (MONEY), then this is a good thing. It would take me hours to research this.

How is this any different than purchasing a book on the Amiga in the 1990's?
Does it need a Future Publishing and Amiga Format logo with a forward by Nick Veitch / Davide Pleasance to be validated? (actually that would be cool).

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:26:38 PM »

More people would pay for Amiga books like this, then endlessly googling the Forums.
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline Rob

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »

This isn't like one of those wiki books but if you're still unhappy that someone should make a little return on the time it took it research all the information and compile into a complete guide of 300 pages then you are free to do your own and release it as a free ebook.

Offline Stevo

• Show only replies by Stevo
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »
"How to use Qt and AmiCygnix packages."

Oh my, that will be a lot of fun on an emulated OS4, even more with the current restrictions. Suggestion for another chapter: "Emulation: installing and using E-UAE and FPSE".

!pancakes!
\\"You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan, I have no ego to bruise\\"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
"...just EUR 19"

That would pay for my lunch for most of the week.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
Ordered and thank you. I have gone half way through this and reviewed this process endlessly online. I have gotten it to work in WinUAE but not in FS-UAE and there is always the issue of it being out of date.

The later issue will affect the book too, of course, but it will at least provide a workable path for Windows, MacOS and Unix. And that is well worth the money. If you don't need it, don't be negative.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »
@radzik

order placed. looking forward to it! :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline utri007

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »

This portray very well what is problem with 68k community. If you don't get it free, they are robbers.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline apsturk

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 04:23:58 AM »
I have ordered it and I am looking forward to it!!!

PS No problem spending $$$$$$$ none!!!

-A
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz